PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Light missing media day for "illness"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yawn. If you're going to quote the first google link you come across, you should at least include the parts that detract from your argument.

Nothing there detracted from my argument.

I work in healthcare. It is required virtually everywhere as a staff member or student in the field to have one yearly. To quote your own source and based upon my own experience, I imagine the chances of life threatening conditions are the same as someone winning the lottery twice or the Jets establishing a dynasty starting next season since "life threatening" side effects are listed with numerous other commonly administered vaccines.

My family is in healthcare. I used to work in healthcare. This point you make here, about people being required to get the vaccine, is meaningless. You made a claim about possible effects. You were wrong.

Last edited:
Its more important to rest up them to waste time with the media.

I didn't read through the entire thread so forgive me if this has already been brought up, but this "stomach bug" has me seriously concerned. It could go through the entire team over the course of 3-6 days, meaning it's possible that a number of key players could be sick on Sunday.

The last time the Pats played a playoff game in Indy (AFCCG, 2006) they were seriously hit with the flu, which caused major problems. They need to get better!!!

=DeusIrae
Originally Posted by Modest
It is not 'basically useless' and the side effects are only very mild flu like symptoms the day of the injection. The problem is that epidemiologists have to choose which strains to defend so they pick the four most prevalent strains people have been affected with for that year. While the chances are low, if you get a rare strain that you weren't immunized against, you can still come down with it.

From the CDC:

....Can severe problems occur?

Life-threatening allergic reactions are very rare. Signs of serious allergic reaction can include breathing problems, hoarseness or wheezing, hives, paleness, weakness, a fast heartbeat, or dizziness. If they do occur, it is within a few minutes to a few hours after the shot. These reactions are more likely to occur among persons with a severe allergy to eggs, because the viruses used in the influenza vaccine are grown in hens’ eggs. People who have had a severe reaction to eggs or a flu shot in the past should not get a flu shot before seeing a physician.

Guillain-Barré syndrome: Normally, about one person per 100,000 people per year will develop Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), an illness characterized by fever, nerve damage, and muscle weakness. In 1976, vaccination with the swine flu vaccine was associated with getting GBS. Several studies have been done to evaluate if other flu vaccines since 1976 were associated with GBS. Only one of the studies showed an association. That study suggested that one person out of 1 million vaccinated persons may be at risk of GBS associated with the vaccine.
What are the side effects that could occur?

Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
Fever (low grade)
Aches

The intradermal flu shot may cause other additional mild side effects including:

Toughness and itching where the shot was given

If these problems occur, they begin soon after the shot and usually last one to two days.

Can severe problems occur?

Life-threatening allergic reactions are very rare. Signs of serious allergic reaction can include breathing problems, hoarseness or wheezing, hives, paleness, weakness, a fast heartbeat, or dizziness. If they do occur, it is within a few minutes to a few hours after the shot. These reactions are more likely to occur among persons with a severe allergy to eggs, because the viruses used in the influenza vaccine are grown in hens’ eggs. People who have had a severe reaction to eggs or a flu shot in the past should not get a flu shot before seeing a physician.

Guillain-Barré syndrome: Normally, about one person per 100,000 people per year will develop Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), an illness characterized by fever, nerve damage, and muscle weakness. In 1976, vaccination with the swine flu vaccine was associated with getting GBS. Several studies have been done to evaluate if other flu vaccines since 1976 were associated with GBS. Only one of the studies showed an association. That study suggested that one person out of 1 million vaccinated persons may be at risk of GBS associated with the vaccine.
In other words, you can have "life threatening" side effects. Also, it's essentially a useless vaccine, as I noted, particularly for healthy adults (P.S. it's only for 3 strains, not 4). Unless you're old, very young, or sickly, you're better off not getting the vaccine.

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: Seasonal Flu Shot

What are you a member of the Jehovah Witness or Christian Scientists. Do you also refuse blood transfusions?

Stop spreading such bogus alarmism. I have news for -- There are other things can have "life threatening" side effects too ...

.... estimated to affect 0.4-0.6% of the population.[1] ....... can result in anaphylaxis

What is that? THE PEANUT

By the way 0.6% of the population = 600 per 100,000 just to put in perspective with the only numbers in your CDC note.

So you are 600 TIMES MORE LIKELY TO DIE from eating a Peanut than from having a "SEVERE PROBLEM" (that is, not necessarily life threatening) from the flu vaccine.

Flu vaccine doesn't protect you from all flus - but to say it is useless exposes your ignorance in this area (or your willful disbelief for some other agenda). The benefits vs cost analysis on this is scientifically indisputable.*

**I am sure you can always find an outlier of a 98 year old cancer patient who died from the flu to "disprove" what I assert. But reality is - VASTLY more people would die (see 1919) without the vaccine then die or even get sick because of it.

This year's flu vaccine does not protect you from the stomach bug that's going around MA & NH. I know several people who had flu shots last fall and still got the stomach bug.

I hope it sticks with the stomach bug, which seems to run its course in ~24 hrs. There's a nasty cold going around my work that's wiping people out for days (and *they've* had the flu shot too).

If you guys want a fight, just go post on ESPN New York blog pages.

Hopefully there won't be any more news of illness, though it seems we're likely to get one or two more.

It's a percentage game. Indeed the shot doesn't cover all variants of the virus - there no way it could. Let's just say the shot doesn't protect the individual from contracting influenza, but it protects populations from outbreaks.

A team-wide flu shot might not protect a Matt Light, but it might prevent a population of 53 football players from missing a few key players on game day.

Light met with the media this morning (saw this on both ESPN and NFLN). He was laughing and joking, as he often does, and said he's fully recovered. Next crisis, please...

Must be something in the water in Indy...Look for Irsay to turn up the heat pump crowd noise into the Pats' sideline.

This year's flu vaccine does not protect you from the stomach bug that's going around MA & NH. I know several people who had flu shots last fall and still got the stomach bug.

That's because it's not the flu that's going around.

Again, I don't understand why everyone chalks every illness up to "the flu", typically when people have "the flu" they don't have influenza.

Must be something in the water in Indy...Look for Irsay to turn up the heat pump crowd noise into the Pats' sideline.

That was one of the things I was wondering. Will there be the crown noise pumped in the field when Pats O is in action?

Or is that a polian thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore