PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's talk Phillip Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan06

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
A guy who deserves more recognition for what he did last night. He was just fantastic, looks like he should be an everyday starter.

Can he be the next Ellis Hobbs for us? Because damn, we could use one of those guys right now.

A guy who deserves more recognition for what he did last night. He was just fantastic, looks like he should be an everyday starter.

Can he be the next Ellis Hobbs for us? Because damn, we could use one of those guys right now.

You know things are bad when fans long for the days of Ellis Hobbs haha. You are right though, Adams played very well last night. Lets hope he can keep it up.

Not only last night, but the last couple of games. I'm very impressed with this kid.

Where do they find these guys?????

Seriously, whoever is in charge of UDFA's - - can they get that guy in charge of the Patriots draft?

Last edited:

Read my mind, I was looking for my post question.

Unfortunately, you should have stopped at one sentence. Hobbs had a lot of talents, but being a smooth cover corner wasn't one of them.

It is interesting how there seems to be a positive correlation between JAG/UDFA presence and overall quality of the defense this season.

Not only last night, but the last couple of games. I'm very impressed with this kid.

Where do they find these guys?????

Seriously, whoever is in charge of UDFA's - - can they get that guy in charge of the Patriots draft?

Once you get past the first few rounds, it's kind of a crap shoot based on how much and where a guy played in college. UDFAs are available to view on other teams rosters, work out and sign without much commitment, so it's based on how well you evaluate talent and how patient and thorough you are to find a gem among 20 guys you're looking at, hence Belichick's advantage.

You only need a realistic (lol) assessment of the success rate for college "stars" to see that college performance alone is not necessarily an indication of success in the pros.

Read my mind, I was looking for my post question.

Unfortunately, you should have stopped at one sentence. Hobbs had a lot of talents, but being a smooth cover corner wasn't one of them.

Hobbs was never a shut down guy, but I always viewed him as solid.

Either way, I meant it in a "the Pats could plug in random ass CBs back in the day and still have success" kind of way.

Hobbs was never a shut down guy, but I always viewed him as solid.

Either way, I meant it in a "the Pats could plug in random ass CBs back in the day and still have success" kind of way.

Well, Hobbs was a third round pick and he had great speed for run backs too, but what i see in Adams is what Hobbs lacked IMO. Not trying to nitpick, but you're either smooth (Asante) or you'll have some trouble with penalties cause you're choppy. Hobbs had a lot of talent, but was herky jerky which caused penalties and a lot of effort leading to unsuccesful coverage the longer he was required to.

I just think some guys have got that, some don't, like shot blocking in basketball. It's not an overall assessment of performance.

Take Molden (please). I don't think I've seen anyone, in brief observation, with less natural ability to cover someone than him, it's incredible. Maybe playing safety and facing the play would help, but he simply cannot react and cover fluidly.

Last edited:

Its amazing how a good pass rush can make a secondary made up of JAGS look that much better.

Its amazing how a good pass rush can make a secondary made up of JAGS look that much better.

Agreed. Huge difference. But I think Adams can be more than "Just another guy."

Atleast that is what I hope.

You lost me at "fantastic".
I will settle for adequate for the rest of the season.:D

I root for every guy out there but let's get real. This was one game where we created an excellent pass rush. Consistency is the key to a good defense. Last night was a start and cause for excitement, but I'm not anointing anyone just yet. Hats off to the whole defense. They deserve it.

Agreed. Huge difference. But I think Adams can be more than "Just another guy."

Atleast that is what I hope.

no argument there, I hope he can step in and with more experience and coaching, give the Pats what they thought they were getting in Bodden, a good solid DB.

Was it just me or did the secondary play better after McCourty was out?

I also thought Antwaun Molden played really good. I think they both got beat once by Plaxico, but Molden's was for a TD.

Pass rush was definitely a huge factor.

Anyone notice that they didn't seem to get any pressure from the inside? Wilfork was getting double a lot in their pass protection but Kyle Love didn't seem to do too much.

Was it just me or did the secondary play better after McCourty was out?

Maybe, but even if it was the case that's not an indicator of McCourty being a detriment. Offensive players and coaches look for tendencies to exploit in a player's game, you can only find those tendencies by studying game film, etc.

It could just be that they knew how to go after McCourty or the scheme that we were playing while he was in, and didn't know how to go after Adams and/or the scheme that we were playing after we lost McCourty.

Or it could just be that Carter started embarrassing D'Brickshaw.

Adams= Hank Poteat. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I'm not sure why a secondary featuring Arrington, Moulden, Adams, and Brown, Ihegdibo, and Ventrone was so effective.

Before we get too excited about Adams, it would be good to see him perform a couple times. Recognize that he hasn't been able to hold onto the 53rd position based on his performance in practice. He's been released and re-signed several times this season.

But for one night, he was right up there with Tarpinian, White, Moulden, Ventrone, and the others on this defense in shutting down the Jets. This defense has nowhere near the talent of the 2001 defense. That was considered a 'no-name defense,' but it included Seymour, Vrabel, Phifer, McGinest, Bruschi, Johnson, Law, and Milloy. But we can hope it can develop into something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back