PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Talk About Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Are you that big a Maroney hater that you see anti-Maroney thoughts everywhere? :D

Poor Maroney. Hes now like Henry Steele in "One On One"

I think seau addition is a big step is playing some 3-4 .we were lacking a true mike in 3-4 .Mayo is a great weakside ILB but at mike is not 100% as he needs mroe experience.

He is going to stay at mike. How does he get "more experience" if we take him out of mike?

I think they are solid in most spots but lack any great playmakers.

The pass rushers are below average and this hurts the team in crucial situations, 3rd down defense is still brutal (NFL Rank 24th (24 of 58, 41.4%)).

TBC & Burgess run at a thousand miles an hour right up the field, usually 10-15 yards past the QB. A simple screen turns into a big play becuase they are no where to be found.

Average players, good coaches should mean top 1/3 in Point Against, best guess is around 20 PPG. If the offense scores 25 PPG they are in good shape, if the score 20.8 there is going to be a lot of close games.

I don't know how much Seau has left in the tank, but if he can play consistently and allow us to play the 3-4, that's more than enough.

I am hoping the 3-4 also brings about an Adalius sighting. He hasn't done much in the 4-3. And I really liked the way Ninkovich played in his one series against the Broncos. As others have pointed out, TBC and Burgess could also be more effective coming from the outside.

I'm not saying abandon the 4-3 entirely, but it'd be nice to have that versatility available on defense. We haven't been able to play 3-4 at all this season since Mayo was injured.

For some bottom line numbers on defensive passer rating and the recent history of the Patriots draft, take a look here:

Kerry Byrne | Patriots Failing the Passing Test: Secondary a Primary Concern

Bottom line: too few interceptions; can't get off the field on 3rd down (again); nor enough DB draft picks making an impact circa 2005-2009.

As opposed to general home team frothing, does anyone have numbers to counter these arguments? (I sure hope someone does)

Tedy Hagler

This was a great article and is the exact same thing I've been preaching on the board for the last 3 years. A sad reality Pats fans fail to admit. However, as much as I've hated the philosiply and lack of talent on defense, their overachieving this season by keeping the opponents point total relatively low. On the other hand, the offense has been the problem in my book. In particular, Tom Brady and the horrendous play calling could've easily been the reason the Pats are 1-4 after 5 games.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like the research the guy did on this point. I do agree however that the D has played relatively well in that all important Points per Game. The concern is how long can they continue given the other numbers tend to show a very average D right now.

Trending upward is the fact that Mayo returns and a young D will get better as they play together. Plus Brady is a hard worker and will revert to the mean--he will play better.

Just hope we don't go 11-5 and become another historic casualty -- 11-5 teams that miss the playoffs.

This was a great article and is the exact same thing I've been preaching on the board for the last 3 years. A sad reality Pats fans fail to admit. However, as much as I've hated the philosiply and lack of talent on defense, their overachieving this season by keeping the opponents point total relatively low. On the other hand, the offense has been the problem in my book. In particular, Tom Brady and the horrendous play calling could've easily been the reason the Pats are 1-4 after 5 games.

some scout in the AFC is quoted anonymously in some magazines with a funny description of certain linemen; something like "Lots of flailing around but nothing happens."

Burgess had some good moments in other games but seemed to miss the flight to Denver.

TBC & Burgess run at a thousand miles an hour right up the field, usually 10-15 yards past the QB. A simple screen turns into a big play becuase they are no where to be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back