PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LeGarrette Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a very risky proposition.

I agree, but it just seems to be part of being a Patriot fan under BB, right? It is so easy to accept the r"risky propositions' because BB has such a firm grasp on the reasons why he makes decisions. Not that it isn't fun to speculate or that BB is never wrong, it is just a lot easier to be a fan of the Pats when someone so competent is at the helm.

3.9 ypc (below league average), coming off his only ever 300 carry season, and will be 31 next year.

Yeah, I can get that guy in the draft in the late-rounds, keep him under cost control for 4 years.

James Conner - Pitt - 5th round, for example. I don't need the 31 year old running on bald tires.

I'm totally fine either way. I think Blount is a great fit here, as long as he isn't the feature back. I'd rather see the backs in a rotation to keep them fresh and effective.

But if Blount is gone and they draft a 22 year old hammer, I'm fine with that too.

I like blount because he always kicks Pittsburgh in their ass and even when he dont get a lot of yards, he wears out the defense. I also admit that i have sentimental feelings where i hate getting rid of 18 touchdown rbs.

I like blount because he always kicks Pittsburgh in their ass and even when he dont get a lot of yards, he wears out the defense. I also admit that i have sentimental feelings where i hate getting rid of 18 touchdown rbs.
I don't think many of us would complain about having Blount back on a cheap deal, particularly where he can excel in the 2nd half with his downhill running style.

That said, they also need a regular, every down back, and things are getting crowded in regards to the depth chart.

I don't think many of us would complain about having Blount back on a cheap deal, particularly where he can excel in the 2nd half with his downhill running style.

That said, they also need a regular, every down back, and things are getting crowded in regards to the depth chart.

Still, with only DJ Foster currently signed beyond the end of the season, it seems nearly certain that they'll acquire at least a couple RBs over draft weekend for the 90-man Camp roster.

As was pointed out to me in another thread, after May 10, UFA signings (and losses) no longer impact the 2018 Comp pick calculations. So, Blount (and Floyd and Bolden, to some degree) may not even get feelers from other teams until after that date.

Also, veteran Pats players are sometimes "given the summer off" by the team, and then re-signed around mid-July, a week or so before they'd report for Camp. As long as they're staying in shape on their own, they don't necessarily need OTAs. Plus, keeping them off the roster until after OTAs gives the Pats an extra spot or two to try out UDFAs and veteran FAs.

So, Blount has an offer from the Pats on the table. That "nothing is imminent" doesn't really mean much at this point.

I am honestly surprised by the lack of love on the board for Blount. He has played 7 years in the league and his total career earnings are less than 7 million dollars. That must be in the bottom 1% for players who were starters for the last 7 years.

The only running back with more playoff rushing touchdowns (1) not in the HOF is Marshawn Lynch.

As a fan I love the way he plays and how much you sense his love for the team. Loosing him in 2015 was a severe blow to our offence in the playoffs. According to stats I found he is the Patriots career leader in rushing average, trails only Gronk by 1 TD in playoffs (no one else is close).

Yet there is a 65 post thread on Gaffney who I have no memory of ever suiting up for the Patriots. 135 post Need a bruising running back but who? And a 310 post thread on 1 game Burkhead.

For me as a fan, the running back is one of the exciting positions in football because of the natural focus we have on moving the ball and scoring. Blount is one of the most electric backs we have had in that regard.

Couldn't agree more. He's cheap. He's probably not an "elite runner" (though last year's numbers, at least, might argue that he is!), but he gets the job done. Every so often he does something pretty spectacular (hurdling people, carrying stacks of db's down the field). He's fun, above all, to have around, and in the end, that's why we're here: for the fun of it.

Couldn't agree more. He's cheap. He's probably not an "elite runner" (though last year's numbers, at least, might argue that he is!), but he gets the job done. Every so often he does something pretty spectacular (hurdling people, carrying stacks of db's down the field). He's fun, above all, to have around, and in the end, that's why we're here: for the fun of it.

Blount had 7 runs of 19+ yards in 2016, three of those for 41+ yard. Brissett had one run of 27. No one else had a run over 16 yards.

My guess is that, since Blount joined the Pats in 2013, he's broken more big runs than the rest of the team put together.

Blount is an enigma...
For such a big guy, he's not a battering ram
He runs too vertical yet teams need to gang tackle him to bring him down
Blount's greatest asset is his ability to locate space...likely due to height/vision advantage.
My opinion of Blount has evolved dramatically since he was originally signed. I hated Blount, considered him the slowest RB I'd ever seen. I was distraught that BB installed Blount as a kick returner. And although Blount didn't set records as a returner, it was pretty clear Blount had great vision and instincts on the field.
I honestly believe Blount would be getting more RB love from both PatsFans and the league if he ran behind a more proficient run blocking OL. With Brady, NE will always be a pass first team that values pass protection first and foremost...so the value of a player like Blount gets marginalized. It is what it is.
Looking back at this past season, the NE run game was shut down against the best defenses and DL penetration up the middle was NE's weakness.....and it didn't matter if it was Blount or Lewis. NE's running game was at its best with a healthy Gronk on the line and was least effective with only a gimpy Bennett. Gronk/Allen in 2017 should help boost the run game in'17 no matter the RB. I'd like to see Blount back and earning more coin given the punishment RBs take. Gang tackled by a half dozen DL, LBs, and safeties....what a way to make a living.

I figured 1136 was your birthday and you are 80 years old. "Trauma" probably works but "Force" might be stretching it.

Blount Force Trauma is a badass nickname. I wish I had a cool name like that.

Well, to be honest, "patriot1136" doesn't exactly give us a lot to work with. Maybe we could capitalize the "P" or ratchet it up to 1136.2, something like that.

The market hasnt really taken off yet. Peterson and charles need to be signed before I think we know blounts market only what latavius murray and eddie lacy have been signed as big market guys?

Much like the linebacker market was on hold until hightower signed

LeGarrette Blount is the man. Give him $10 more than 2 games Burkhead and bring him back. Then maybe he can spend a couple years as Fears understudy as running backs coach.

I still hope we are able to draft his replacement this year which if it happens means either an injury and/or Bolden or him being cut.

Seeing him at the Celtics games cheering on IT reminds me how the 2 of them are some of my favorite players ever in Boston sports.

Not saying it's going to happen, but Blount coming back for +/- $1.3M for a year would be a pretty good deal, if he and Burkhead split maybe 350 carries. Keeps both fresh.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Burkhead has 87 carries in his career. Blount had 88 by October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes