PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Left Tackle

Well Yosh Nijman is gone, signed to the Panthers.

That leaves like two younger OT's left who could start at left tackle immediately in Oli Udoh and Andrus Peat, before the Pats will have to start interviewing some NFL senior citizens and praying.

They have gobs of money... this is just dumb and irresponsible at this point.
well maybe so, but the best guys left is Josh Jones and Humphries neither of which is even both of who are young enough to get 3/4 year deals.

2) Would he be as good a LT as he was a RT, all other things being equal? That one is a legitimate question, as there aren't many guys that are equally effective at both. If nothing else, it's an unknown that would bear watching.
Former Steelers GM Kevin Colbert, in July 2021:
“When we scouted Chuks, we thought he’d be a better left tackle than right, coming out of college. Last year [2020], he lost a competition to Zach Banner at right tackle. Had they been competing for left tackle, my guess is Chuks would’ve beat him out, and that’s not to take anything away from Zach. I think Chuks can be a starting left tackle.”

Banner got hurt in week 1 of 2020, so Okorafor started 15 games at RT anyway. In 2021, the intention was to have Okorafor at LT and Banner at RT, hence Colbert’s comments, but Banner again was hurt so Okorafor moved back to RT because he had experience there while rookie Dan Moore did not.

He has consistently graded out as a better pass blocker than run blocker as well. He’s also left handed, which works out well in theory.

That Sucks The Office GIF

Another tackle who may be available in a post June 1st trade would be two time all-pro 29 year old Jack Conklin. He has missed considerable time in the last few seasons with injuries - a torn patella tendon followed by an MCL. He is under contract through 2026, but the Browns most assuredly need to get out from under his salary because of the Watson cap fiasco. Conklin is basically a right tackle, but has played left tackle in the past. The Brownies have Dawand Jones to play right tackle on very cheap deal and picked up the fifth year option on Jedrick Wills to play left tackle, so it won't take much to get Conklin.

So the starting line right now projects to be... Okorafor / Strange / DAndrews / Sow / Onwenu

Interior reserves: JAndrews, Leverett, Mafi

OT reserves: Anderson, McDermott, Lowe, Wheatley, Stuber

I mean, I guess if Okorafor isn't TERRIBLE at LT, it's could be a fine bridge year OL.

Onwenu is better as a guard but he's a good RT too - not elite or anything but not a weakness. Sow looked ok at RG last year and you'd hope for some development in a young player. DAndrews is still a good starter. Strange hasn't yet and probably won't ever live up to his draft status, but feel like he's an ok starter with more room to grow at LG. If Okorafor can just be "ok" enough at LT to where he isn't a shut-the-whole-offense-down kind of liability, there's probably enough there to be ok in a bridge year. The OL wouldn't be so bad that you can't see any sense of development from anyone.

Most would love to add a LT in the draft, but not sure how practical that is unless we use our first pick on it. I'm sure there will be some OT drafted at #34 or later who turns out to be a starting LT, but hard to bank on that IMO. And even if you do get that guy, who is to say he's ready year 1?

All of the moves they've made, or the lack thereof, seem to point to this being treated as a bridge year though. Even if they do stay put and take a QB at #3, the OL and weapons group don't seem good enough to start him. I'd call both bare minimum caliber right now.

He's our default LT. He played it his junior and senior years of college, was drafted in the 3rd round based on that, and would have been the Steelers LT except their RT kept getting hurt and they had some depth at LT but not RT. He can play either position, and was a full time starter for 3+ seasons with Pitt. We didn't sign him to be a reserve even though most posters seem to think that.

the situation could be better, but I still feel okay enough with chuks at LT to prioritize qb and wr with the first 2 picks and nab a tackle later (unless an LT drops drastically or a much better value there is available at 34). If the line isn’t looking good heading into week 1 you can always let the rookie sit until you can improve the line. But I really that 2nd tier of wr candidates that should be there at 34

Former Steelers GM Kevin Colbert, in July 2021:
“When we scouted Chuks, we thought he’d be a better left tackle than right, coming out of college. Last year [2020], he lost a competition to Zach Banner at right tackle. Had they been competing for left tackle, my guess is Chuks would’ve beat him out, and that’s not to take anything away from Zach. I think Chuks can be a starting left tackle.”

Banner got hurt in week 1 of 2020, so Okorafor started 15 games at RT anyway. In 2021, the intention was to have Okorafor at LT and Banner at RT, hence Colbert’s comments, but Banner again was hurt so Okorafor moved back to RT because he had experience there while rookie Dan Moore did not.

He has consistently graded out as a better pass blocker than run blocker as well. He’s also left handed, which works out well in theory.
Nice find. Sounds like an ok option. Pure experience at LT would be better, but at least it’s something as long as he leaves the attitude behind in Pittsburgh

nm

Last edited:
He's our default LT. He played it his junior and senior years of college, was drafted in the 3rd round based on that, and would have been the Steelers LT except their RT kept getting hurt and they had some depth at LT but not RT. He can play either position, and was a full time starter for 3+ seasons with Pitt. We didn't sign him to be a reserve even though most posters seem to think that.
Cousins, Have Chubacca start at LT . Sign Humphries and when he is ready you have three serviceable OTs. Humpfires being only 30 and of All Pro caliber.
DW Toys

Cousins, Have Chubacca start at LT . Sign Humphries and when he is ready you have three serviceable OTs. Humpfires being only 30 and of All Pro caliber.
DW Toys
That’s a good scenario…so it’s not very likely to happen

I hope this isn’t true. That he signed so early in free agency for so cheap doesn’t scream starting LT. Depending on him would remind me of the Calvin Anderson move last year. They would be similar in that the Pats front office thinks they are smarter than everyone else by paying swing tackle money to a guy they want to start.

Having Anderson and Okorafor, as the best in house options to start at left tackle means the Pats need to go tackle in the second round. Adding Jones, Humphries or to a lesser degree Becton would make me feel a lot more comfortable waiting until the 3rd or 4th for a developmental tackle.

In the end my frustration with free agency is they seem to be going into the draft needing to find starters at QB, LT and X receiver, which are the 3 most important offensive positions. The window for adding a starting QB or X receiver in free agency seems closed but I still think they can fill the LT hole to the point that they don’t need a rookie to start in free agency.

I hope this isn’t true. That he signed so early in free agency for so cheap doesn’t scream starting LT. Depending on him would remind me of the Calvin Anderson move last year. They would be similar in that the Pats front office thinks they are smarter than everyone else by paying swing tackle money to a guy they want to start.

Having Anderson and Okorafor, as the best in house options to start at left tackle means the Pats need to go tackle in the second round. Adding Jones, Humphries or to a lesser degree Becton would make me feel a lot more comfortable waiting until the 3rd or 4th for a developmental tackle.

In the end my frustration with free agency is they seem to be going into the draft needing to find starters at QB, LT and X receiver, which are the 3 most important offensive positions. The window for adding a starting QB or X receiver in free agency seems closed but I still think they can fill the LT hole to the point that they don’t need a rookie to start in free agency.
I wouldn't rush to draft an OT at #34 just because we need a LT. You gotta play the draft board. That spot of the draft is an area where you can find a lot of LT prospects who are better projections at RT or kicking inside to LG because of short arms. Things like that.

The idea that we're going to come out of the draft with a starting QB, X receiver, and LT has always been kind of far-fetched. You can't view the draft as a check box where you gotta hit certain positions. Especially the later you go. It's better for the future of this franchise if we draft an all pro FS at #34 than if we take a guy who ends up like the 18th best LT. Especially for a team like ours who realistically isn't expecting to compete for a deep playoff run in the next year, probably 2 (at least).

I wouldn't rush to draft an OT at #34 just because we need a LT. You gotta play the draft board. That spot of the draft is an area where you can find a lot of LT prospects who are better projections at RT or kicking inside to LG because of short arms. Things like that.

The idea that we're going to come out of the draft with a starting QB, X receiver, and LT has always been kind of far-fetched. You can't view the draft as a check box where you gotta hit certain positions. Especially the later you go. It's better for the future of this franchise if we draft an all pro FS at #34 than if we take a guy who ends up like the 18th best LT. Especially for a team like ours who realistically isn't expecting to compete for a deep playoff run in the next year, probably 2 (at least).
I’m rushing to draft an LT at 34 not just because it’s a need but because it’s a position I don’t think they will be able to find later.

For reference I like Guyton, Suamataia and Paul at left tackle in that range but I don’t expect any of those guys to last until the 3rd. I think pretty much all the rest of the tackle prospect are really right tackle or guards in the nfl. I also like Christian Jones in the third or fourth but he’s probably more of a RT too. I’d defer to BGC and Captain though on specific names because I think they know the prospects better than I do.

I’d rather they fill the x receiver spot at 34 again not just because it’s a need but because I’m not sure many x receivers are available after the 2nd and it’s an important position. It does seem like the only z receivers on the roster are Boutte and Raegor both of which shouldn’t make the roster imo.

The notion of finding a starting qb, lt and x is far fetched but they have kind of painted themselves into a corner by not filling those positions in free agency.

The counterpoint is we are drafting very high in each round. Our 3-34-68 is very close to being two 1sts and a second. So in a deep draft, it’s not out of the question that we find a quality QB, LT, and WR. They just may not see much time for half a season.

If Guyton is there at 34 maybe, depending on the WR board. Paul and Suamataia I’d trade back into the mid/late 2nd for after taking a WR at 34. If Guyton is gone, and the WRs aren’t that great at that spot, that likely means there is someone that dropped out of the 1st, that you could maybe pick up some more picks with a small trade down.

I’m rushing to draft an LT at 34 not just because it’s a need but because it’s a position I don’t think they will be able to find later.

For reference I like Guyton, Suamataia and Paul at left tackle in that range but I don’t expect any of those guys to last until the 3rd. I think pretty much all the rest of the tackle prospect are really right tackle or guards in the nfl. I also like Christian Jones in the third or fourth but he’s probably more of a RT too. I’d defer to BGC and Captain though on specific names because I think they know the prospects better than I do.

I’d rather they fill the x receiver spot at 34 again not just because it’s a need but because I’m not sure many x receivers are available after the 2nd and it’s an important position. It does seem like the only z receivers on the roster are Boutte and Raegor both of which shouldn’t make the roster imo.

The notion of finding a starting qb, lt and x is far fetched but they have kind of painted themselves into a corner by not filling those positions in free agency.
This is why I really like the idea of signing DJ Humphries. Would be ready mid year maybe, similar to a rookie. Then that takes the pressure of finding a LT in the 2nd round off. That would even help next year in the draft as well. If Humphries proves effective, our OL should be pretty solid (if Strange and Sow keep improving). We could go
QB, WR, then best available this year and depending who we resign next year on defense, could likely hit WR again early next year.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back