PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Left Tackle

The idea that we're going to come out of the draft with a starting QB, X receiver, and LT has always been kind of far-fetched.
For many teams I think that’s true. The talent on the Patriots is not at a high level however. I think it’s conceivable 2 or all 3 positions may be starters by the end of the season.

Guys, it's only day eight of FA. Do you really expect the Patriots to have a single viable left tackle on the roster by this point? Stop being so entitled - what are you going to want next, the team to not be dead last in real cash spending?

Certainly could have. Someone should ask Wolf why they didn’t.

And it’s not like I’m suggesting guaranteeing all $20M either… But half of that perhaps? You would think he would have to at least consider it…

That’s a little generous. Jones ended the season as the Texans’ #4 tackle behind Tunsil, Fant, and Heck. He was a healthy inactive in weeks 16 and 17.
Maybe I oversold it a bit, my main point was that Jones was an interesting option that wasn't really getting talked about and had the potential to surprise if he could continue to build on his play from 2 years ago. Don't get me wrong, it could have been a very real possibility to sign Jones and realize down the line that he is nothing more than backup quality. But at the same time, it would not have been that risky of a signing given how much cap space we have and worth the potential reward of getting serviceable tackle play while we develop a rookie taken in the draft.

Either way, the speculation is moot now, Jones signed with Baltimore earlier this week. I'm pretty sure Jones purely plays on the left side, but I'd be interested to see if they plan to start him at RT after trading Morgan Moses or if they brought him in to back up Ronnie Staley at LT.

LEFT TACKLE AS OF NOW (2-3 to join Onwenu on the 53)
Okorafor
our second draft choice
McDermott
Anderson
Lowe
Wheatley
Stueber

ADDITIONAL POSSIBILITIES
Sign another veteran to start at LT for a year
Draft a 2nd OT

If they win 6 games instead of 4, and get the 11th pick instead of the 3rd...I'm not sure that's a good thing.
Right. They need less wins not more. Why not root for them to lose every game and get the top pick in the entire draft? That would make the Tankheads happy.

I shudder to think of how it would go if they had to put Lowe or Steuber out there at left tackle. Neither are NFL caliber players IMHO, meaning from what I’ve seen they are both overmatched athletically by 2nd and 3rd tier NFL opponents.

McDermott has pleasantly surprised me the past 2 seasons but is still an emergency stopgap guy for either LT or RT, a guy who at best is in there because both the starter and backup and in-game emergency guy isn’t available. From what I’ve seen I don’t think he is quick enough or strong enough to neutralize starting caliber NFL opponents for an entire game.

I’d rather see Sow at LT than McDermott, Lowe, or Steuber. I know some here have speculated about Strange going to LT. First I just hope the guy recovers from his injury and regains his athleticism. If he does then I’d rather see Sow at LT than Strange but would prefer Strange to Lowe or Steuber, and probably to McD also.

I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Anderson and/or Wheatley. I don’t expect much more from either of them than I’m expecting from McDermott but they both are superior athletically to McD. Anderson was not terrible at LT a couple years ago in Denver, he didn’t commit penalties, not a lot of sacks or pressures at that time. I think Okorafor is better but to me having some hope for Anderson is not ridiculous.

Ipso facto, if they don’t draft at least one LT-capable prospect on Day 1 or 2, my concern level is will go vertical, and surely they can find a later round guy with better athleticism than Lowe or Steuber.

At 34, we need to take Paul and have him sit for half a year.

As a run blocker, he is believe average.

As a pass blocker, he is the best in this draft.

3rd and 10 from our 20 yard line, who do you want at left tackle? Chewbacca? Anderson? McDermott? No way. You want Paul!!!!!

If Mims or Guyton fall a little I would take either over Paul.

I shudder to think of how it would go if they had to put Lowe or Steuber out there at left tackle. Neither are NFL caliber players IMHO, meaning from what I’ve seen they are both overmatched athletically by 2nd and 3rd tier NFL opponents.

McDermott has pleasantly surprised me the past 2 seasons but is still an emergency stopgap guy for either LT or RT, a guy who at best is in there because both the starter and backup and in-game emergency guy isn’t available. From what I’ve seen I don’t think he is quick enough or strong enough to neutralize starting caliber NFL opponents for an entire game.

I’d rather see Sow at LT than McDermott, Lowe, or Steuber. I know some here have speculated about Strange going to LT. First I just hope the guy recovers from his injury and regains his athleticism. If he does then I’d rather see Sow at LT than Strange but would prefer Strange to Lowe or Steuber, and probably to McD also.

I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Anderson and/or Wheatley. I don’t expect much more from either of them than I’m expecting from McDermott but they both are superior athletically to McD. Anderson was not terrible at LT a couple years ago in Denver, he didn’t commit penalties, not a lot of sacks or pressures at that time. I think Okorafor is better but to me having some hope for Anderson is not ridiculous.

Ipso facto, if they don’t draft at least one LT-capable prospect on Day 1 or 2, my concern level is will go vertical, and surely they can find a later round guy with better athleticism than Lowe or Steuber.
BETTER THAN LOWE, MCDERMOTT AND STEUBER
Okorafor
Anderson
the next addition or two in free agency and/or in the first 40 picks in the draft
=====================
Given that we are on a 2-3 year rebuild, I'm fine with Okorafor or Anderson, plus a pick in the 20's or 40 at the latest.

BETTER THAN LOWE, MCDERMOTT AND STEUBER
Okorafor
Anderson
the next addition or two in free agency and/or in the first 40 picks in the draft
=====================
Given that we are on a 2-3 year rebuild, I'm fine with Okorafor or Anderson, plus a pick in the 20's or 40 at the latest.
Calvin Anderson is not very good sorry.

LEFT TACKLE AS OF NOW (2-3 to join Onwenu on the 53)
Okorafor
our second draft choice
McDermott
Anderson
Lowe
Wheatley
Stueber

ADDITIONAL POSSIBILITIES
Sign another veteran to start at LT for a year
Draft a 2nd OT
Jesus ****ing christ.

At least we still have $50 million in cap room.

That's one stinky pile of crap right thar.
I think they will bring in DJ Humphries or Leno after the draft. I think Wheatley and Okafor will be the back ups and My guess they will get a developmental guy in the 3rd.

Jesus ****ing christ.

and it rolls over to next year, when hopefully we will have qb and a coach that has shown something to attract a FA.

That's one stinky pile of crap right thar.
Jesus ****ing christ.

Hey...this has been a fantastic offseason!

Come On Please GIF by NBA

and it rolls over to next year, when hopefully we will have qb and a coach that has shown something to attract a FA.
We'll be saying the same thing next offseason where the Pats will find a way to not spend on talent that is actually available. Bob will do his usual and eat up the cap with smaller transactions. Eventually, the money you roll over has to be spent. They have 5 years to do it.

Unless the Cowboys don't work out a deal with either Parsons or Lamb, one of them will be available. Aside from that, most of the other high profile players will be retained.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back