PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Leave it to either the Jets or the Steelers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're missing my point, though - I think his religious beliefs probably ultimately have nothing to do with his comments about bin Laden. Some of his comments suggest he sympathizes with bin Laden's belief system (namely, the conspiracy theories...), which means that we should take his reaction to bin Laden's death with a huge grain of salt.

The conspiracy theories don't mean he sypathises. It means hes not sure he was behind the attack. The rest of his tweets are clearly religious in nature.

My feelings on your point about how a Christian should react to bin Laden's death: I'm not a religious person (heck, nor am I at all a political person, for that matter), so I cannot really weigh in there. I would suggest that there are exceptions to every rule. I'd also suggest that if you believe in God, and if you believe God views all humans as his children, then let God bear the heavy burden of mourning the death of a mass-murderer. Then, let us mere mortals celebrate the accomplishment of those truly heroic Navy SEALs, our country's intelligence, and our Commander-in-Chief and cherish the fact that bin Laden's death is a huge victory in the war on Terror as well as a delivery of justice and perhaps, hopefully, some solace for those who lost loved ones in 9/11.

I'm not religious either. I was just brought up in catholic schools, and have read the Bible, the Koran, etc. The Bible specifically says you shouldn't rejoice in the misfortune of others. It specifically says you shouldn't judge others.

You're not religious. You can do whatever the hell you want. The people who identify as christian and are rejoicing in this clearly don't understand their own religion.

Last edited:
You wish death on anyone who doesn't agree with you? Sounds a whole lot like "Death to the infidels!"

I happen to think America can be better than Jihadists. I'm probably wrong.

For crying out loud. This country has it's faults, that's certain, BUT to even compare us to "jihadists" that would kill you because of your faith is absurd.

Sure, but what's stopping you from rejoicing in the good things that come as a result of his death, but not his death itself?

Nothing. They're two separate things.

Am I happy that Al Qaeda is marginally weaker today? Yes. Am I happy that maybe less dollars into the bottomless hole? Of Course.

Do I want to **** on his grave? Of course not. I'm better than that.

For crying out loud. This country has it's faults, that's certain, BUT to even compare us to "jihadists" that would kill you because of your faith is absurd.

He just said he wishes me dead because I wont celebrate with him. Thats pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

And there's plenty of American Jihadists. They just blow up pet stores, doctors offices, etc.

You're not religious. You can do whatever the hell you want. The people who identify as christian and are rejoicing in this clearly don't understand their own religion.

I may not be religious anymore, but I was originally brought up Catholic so I know the values of which you speak. I know plenty of Christians who were excited about the news on bin Laden, and I certainly don't think any less of them.

After all, think about how hypocritical Mendenhall's statements are themselves. He himself is making a rather harsh judgment on the people who are celebrating bin Laden's death, yet he himself is telling them not to judge bin Laden.

Again, did you see his original comment on 9/11? It wasn't like these were thoughtful and pensive comments from someone with a clear grasp of the situation.

I see that Mendenhall is also questioning whether 9/11 was done as it was reported to the American public or whether it was a conspiracy, he has that right. i dont think mendenhall is an extremist who deserves to be executed (if TheGodInAGreyHoodie had his way) because he refuses to acknowledge everything he was told by the american government is unequivocally true.

Again, he is asking a question about the hypocrisy of celebrating the death of a mass murderer.

He just said he wishes me dead because I wont celebrate with him. Thats pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

And there's plenty of American Jihadists. They just blow up pet stores, doctors offices, etc.

He said does not doesn't. It's called satire.

Nothing. They're two separate things.

Am I happy that Al Qaeda is marginally weaker today? Yes. Am I happy that maybe less dollars into the bottomless hole? Of Course.

Do I want to **** on his grave? Of course not. I'm better than that.

I'm not volunteering to go crap on his grave - but I am happy the guy is dead. I mean, even outside of the separate by-products of his death, I am literally happy that he is no longer breathing.

If that means I'm a bad person, so be it. If it makes me more like "them" (jihadists) so be it. But I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt and grant myself the ability to make subjective observations, ie Osama bin Laden was a sociopathic mass-murderer whose continued existence threatened thousands of innocent people and therefore whose death should be welcomed. If we have to dogmatically live by one-line golden rules in a a black & white world without subjectivity, we're not exactly using the facilities that God - if one believes in him/her - supposedly granted us.

Again, he is asking a question about the hypocrisy of celebrating the death of a mass murderer.

As I said above, I don't view the world in the simple terms that lead one to see hypocrisy in celebrating the death of a mass murderer. Therefore, to me, there is no hypocrisy in feeling relief, joy, excitement, solace, or whatever emotion you want over bin Laden's death.

Last edited:
After all, think about how hypocritical Mendenhall's statements are themselves. He himself is making a rather harsh judgment on the people who are celebrating bin Laden's death, yet he himself is telling them not to judge bin Laden.

Is he though? He's just asking a couple questions. It could be argued (although I don't think hes bright enough for it) that hes trying to remind his fellow religious people that they are abandoning god.

It could be argued that hes taking a role of leadership and trying to guide his fellow sheep onto the right path.

(I don't really believe that, but hes certainly more in control than the people out in the streets burning things)

How bout the golden rule? How about "judge not others lest you be judged". How bout "turn the other cheek". "love thy enemy"?

It is absolute hypocricy to call yourself Christian and to rejoice in someone's death. The two things are diametrically opposed.

Again, I have no problem with him being killed (although I would have preferred a trial). I think he needed to die. I just don't see any good in rejoicing in his death.

Says you and your limited interpretation of the bible. Save that for the best of theologians to debate, but you are wrong on this. Each man has a right to his beliefs as long as they fall in the edicts of his own morals and convictions. Like I said, I do see your side of the argument and respect those that feel this way, but like many great documents in history, i.e the Constitution and the Bible, I believe them to be writings that are subject to the times. Different factions of Christianity have varying interpretations of the bible to suit their needs. You have absolutely no right at all to judge anyone based on their feelings and this topic. Like I said, I just wish Mendenhall and any others like him would keep their opinions to themselves and not feel the need to spout off because he has a larger soapbox to pontificate from.

That's just wrong. Let me ask you this. Were all Jews morally wrong in celebrating the death of Hitler?

Says you and your limited interpretation of the bible. Save that for the best of theologians to debate, but you are wrong on this. Each man has a right to his beliefs as long as they fall in the edicts of his own morals and convictions. Like I said, I do see your side of the argument and respect those that feel this way, but like many great documents in history, i.e the Constitution and the Bible, I believe them to be writings that are subject to the times. Different factions of Christianity have varying interpretations of the bible to suit their needs. You have absolutely no right at all to judge anyone based on their feelings and this topic. Like I said, I just wish Mendenhall and any others like him would keep their opinions to themselves and not feel the need to spout off because he has a larger soapbox to pontificate from.

Of course they do, but all of them *atleast in their official teachings* preach that celebrating the killing of another is sin.

I have every right to judge people. I have every right to point out hypocricy. Thats one of the great parts of living in America.

What people don't have the right to do is state that they are Christians, and celebrate killing without being hypocrites. You can't claim you're one thing, and then disregard the most central of its teachings.

Is he though? He's just asking a couple questions. It could be argued (although I don't think hes bright enough for it) that hes trying to remind his fellow religious people that they are abandoning god.

It could be argued that hes taking a role of leadership and trying to guide his fellow sheep onto the right path.

(I don't really believe that, but hes certainly more in control than the people out in the streets burning things)

I think we can agree that maybe Mendenhall is not the best representation of the viewpoint you are trying to bring across, so it makes this conversation a little harder. As I said, his 9/11 comments just make it very hard for me to take the rest of his tweets sincerely.

That said, I agree the celebration can go too far. Personally, I thought the images of college students cheering like they're at a sporting event and climbing trees to chant USA was a little much, and would've rather seen the excitement be a little more restrained. Those kids were 9 or 10 when it happened, maybe it's a different dynamic for them, I don't know.

That said, I was very happy when I heard the news. So I'm not going to judge them either.

Last edited:
That's just wrong. Let me ask you this. Were all Jews morally wrong in celebrating the death of Hitler?

Does it matter? I've never stated anything is morally wrong.

What I've stated is that if you purport to believe in the teachings of the New Testament, and celebrate death, you're being hypocritical. Thats it.

I've also said that I believe that Mendenhall's tweets aren't anything controversial. He's a religious man, and hes stating something thats true within the confines of his religion.

I think we can agree that maybe Mendenhall is not the best representation of the viewpoint you are trying to bring across, so it makes this conversation a little harder.

That said, I agree the celebration can go too far. Personally, I thought the images of college students cheering like they're at a sporting event and climbing trees to chant USA was a little much, and would've rather seen the excitement be a little more restrained. Those kids were 9 or 10 when it happened, maybe it's a different dynamic for them, I don't know.

That said, I was very happy when I heard the news. So I'm not going to judge them either.

Well said. If Synovia feels he has the moral ground and ability to judge others on this then more power to him. I for one, do not claim to have this moral high ground over others especially on this topic.

i dont believe there is any interpretation of the bible which would encourage the mass celebration of anyones death, yet you can be sure that many people who consider themselves good Christians are doing so today, that is the hypocrisy that i reference.

anyone who admits that their thirst for blood has been semi sated today by the death of bid laden must also admit that there is no good vs. evil, there is only us vs. them. and i think that is what mendenhall was trying to get at when he said that nobody who is celebrating his death truly knew him.

Does it matter? I've never stated anything is morally wrong.

What I've stated is that if you purport to believe in the teachings of the New Testament, and celebrate death, you're being hypocritical. Thats it.

I've also said that I believe that Mendenhall's tweets aren't anything controversial. He's a religious man, and hes stating something thats true within the confines of his religion.

So you have never been hippocritical and therefore posses the right to pass judgment then? Okay.

and i think that is what mendenhall was trying to get at when he said that nobody who is celebrating his death truly knew him.

How much more do we have to get to know bin Laden? What's his favorite color? Did he have a good sense of humor? Was he a morning person?

In all sincerity, what more do you need to know about the guy other than the fact that he killed thousands of innocent people and spent his days plotting how to do it again?

I find the suggestion extremely ignorant. If you can't deduce that bin Laden was clearly a mass-murdering sociopath, then yes, I will question a lot of things about you. These types of people (serial killers, terrorists, etc.) are simply a different type of human. They lack the basic instincts and humanity that the majority of human beings were granted at least some modicum of. Getting to know them won't change that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back