PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LdT was 'impressed' by Garappolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says a ton about Boyce when a 21 yr old UDFA comes in at WR and Jimmy G gets comfortable.

Didn't get a chance to see the game, but if that is an accurate portrait, then yeah...chuck Boyce.

A very good question. If Flynn is recovered soon, he'd likely be the best option.
Exactly. Flynn is probably the best of a bad lot. I'd rather eat take my chances with JimmyG.

i was secretly hoping he is the 2nd coming, our own aaron rodgers. maybe my expectation was little too high.

at worst i hope he is at least tony romo level. i did see many similarities between the two last year.
IMHO he is going to be the Patriots Drew Brees. He has the talent and the mentality he just needs to develop now. Let's not forget he came from a Division 1AA college where they didn't have a playbook and only took snaps in the shotgun formation.

I guess we've been spoiled by the GOAT. he thought Jimmy had a great pocket presence and I was like WTH was he watching? lol i mean really?

I think POLO had a spectacular game. I believe Belechick purposely set up the O-line scrubs to pummel Polo. I believe he had the OC call long developing plays to allow the Packers rush to get to POLO.

Like in 2008, when he tested Cassell, he wanted to test Polo's POISE under adverse circumstances,and at the same time measure the O-line scrubs against Packer starters. Polo completed 66% of his throws, didn't panic, and he didn't throw a INT, except one that should have been broken up by a competent receiver. He does throw a catchable ball, and his arm strength is acceptable, but not a rocket. His release is very good and very fast. But most of all he appears capable of playing QB where its important, between his ears.

Polo took the punishment and sacks without throwing the ball up for grabs, nor fumbling. He did this as a Sophomore, not a Junior with three + years of coaching like Cassell had. He had little college coaching, unlike Brady or Cassell, so the results are even more spectacular. He may not be a future Brady (who is?) but he can be a good QB off this scouting foray.

I would feel more sanguine if Polo was called on in the second half of the season rather then the first half, so he had another half year of pro grooming; but he won't be a disaster if he has to play sooner. He will likely have become a qualified QB, when TB hangs them up.

Once again Belechick has made a good Draft pick. IMHO.

Last edited:
He does throw a catchable ball, and his arm strength is acceptable, but not a rocket. His release is very good and very fast. But most of all he appears capable of playing QB where its important, between his ears.

That near-TD to Tyms against the Redskins was a good 40 yards or so.

Polo took the punishment and sacks without throwing the ball up for grabs, nor fumbling. He did this as a Sophomore, not a Junior with three + years of coaching like Cassell had. He had little college coaching, unlike Brady or Cassell, so the results are even more spectacular. He may not be a future Brady (who is?) but he can be a good QB off this scouting foray.

In that metaphor, Cassel would be in his senior year. :)

Also, I've made this point before, but Garoppolo's QB coach, Todd Christiansen, literally used Tom Brady as his exemplar for teaching Garoppolo.

he's a clear 1/2 second too slow in his reads at least...to be honest, he looked WORSE in practice but, AFAIC, he's a JAG backup QB. I mean, yeah, he looks better than Cassel did at the same point in his career but...so what?. This team needs Brady to start from game one this season.

That head ref tonight was preposterous BTW. Never saw him before, but he was atrocious in person. What did it look like on the tube?

I would remind you that Cassell has been chosen to go to 2 Probowls; and guided the Pats to an 11-5 record in a third season. Cassell may not be a Star but he is not exactly chicken feathers either. He has played on some poor teams and I for one fear him with a good team like the Bills, that can allow him to game manage like he did with the Pats in 2008.

Polo is raw . He will be better in his third season and subsequently.

he's a clear 1/2 second too slow in his reads at least...to be honest, he looked WORSE in practice but, AFAIC, he's a JAG backup QB. I mean, yeah, he looks better than Cassel did at the same point in his career but...so what?. This team needs Brady to start from game one this season.

That head ref tonight was preposterous BTW. Never saw him before, but he was atrocious in person. What did it look like on the tube?

I think that Garoppolo can run the offense but I see no signs of a franchise QB in the making. At this point he looks like the JAG backup QB you said. I don't see him as the long term replacement of Brady yet but I'm still like to see how he operates with the 1's in place instead of a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers.

As for the head ref, it was preseason for him too and it showed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes