PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LB Jonathan Freeny & TE Greg Scruggs to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
freeny needed work and Roberts prob passed him anyways but...
what was word on Scruggs?

Expected the move w Scruggs. Freeny is a surprise but no lack of LBs so the sooner the better in case if needed. Somehow it might be tough on him to find his job back.

Wanted Johnson back, so thanks. Valentine might not be ready to go yet and its gonna be a fight in the trenches. Surprised no room for Sankey. Doesen't bode well for him breaking the roster.

Freeney's a surprise. Maybe IR return?

The bottom of the roster will be a back and forth thing.

Looks like we'll be seeing more of Elandon Roberts, and that makes me happy.

Freeny was fine for establishing a baseline level of play from your third LB, but he's the kind of guy that you should be looking to upgrade from pretty much at all times. I think we've found the upgrade.

Also, Mingo was on the field a bit on D last week. If he's comfortable enough with the D that he's ready for a real role at LB, then Freeny might have ended up falling to fifth in the LB rotation anyway. Which, given how frequently we have only two on the field, is a guy who should rarely ever see the field

The two IR moves could also mean Lewis and Jackson coming back next week ..

Last edited:
More Roberts and Mingo is great. I believe they both play special teams too. A. Johnson was a binky of mine so I'm happy with that. I would like to see what Grissom can do now.

Expected the move w Scruggs. Freeny is a surprise but no lack of LBs so the sooner the better in case if needed. Somehow it might be tough on him to find his job back.

Wanted Johnson back, so thanks. Valentine might not be ready to go yet and its gonna be a fight in the trenches. Surprised no room for Sankey. Doesen't bode well for him breaking the roster.

Why would you expect Sankey when it was two defensive players to IR?

Why would you expect Sankey when it was two defensive players to IR?

I doubt Bolden is ready to go yet. If Sankey was showing some good stuff 2 free roster spots without immediate needs would be a chance to at least test him. They played without Valentine and A Johnson last week (too risky for my taste but still). DE depth is full.

Obviously they felt RB position is ok even with Blount's hip condition and Bolden possibly/probably out.
And felt addition to ST (Grissom) is more urgent with Bolden (possibly/probably) and Freeny out.

Goes to show once more its tough to earn a roster spot here without ST value unless you're top option.

Who's then 3rd and 4th TEs now and are they on roster?

So lets see:

1. After cutting DT A Johnson for DT Hughes who was cut a few days later for TE Scruggs with TE Harbor cut two days after .. Pats are finally bringing DT A Johnson back on 53 and are left somewhat thin @ TE.
The only healthy TE this week is Derby. Although both Gronk and Bennett will most likely play on Sunday this is not the best math .. especially since Derby can only partly back them up since he is no real blocker. There is also no other TE on PS. And suddenly .. Derby's job is safe (for the moment)

2. On the other hand there are now 11 DLs on the roster (4 DEs plus 2 DE/OLB and 5 DTs).
Also 12 DBs. There will be a lot of shuffling of the roster till the end of the month at least.

Last edited:
So lets see:

1. After cutting DT A Johnson for DT Hughes who was cut a few days later for TE Scruggs with TE Harbor cut two days after .. Pats are finally bringing DT A Johnson back on 53 and are left somewhat thin @ TE.
The only healthy TE this week is Derby. Although both Gronk and Bennett will most likely play on Sunday this is not the best math .. especially since Derby can only partly back them up since he is no real blocker. There is also no other TE on PS. And suddenly .. Derby's job is safe (for the moment)
I'm wondering with the two open spots on the PS, if they will add a TE and a QB if only as an arm to save reps with Jacoby on IR....................IIRC in the past when they only carried two QB on the roster, there was one on the PS.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes