PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Late free agent glut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rookBoston said:
We may find that a lot of promising young players, who are cheaper but aren't quite established, may be the victims. We might be able to land a few 2005 Day One picks, who weren't able to turn the corner with the team, and couldn't dislodge a veteran who would otherwise have been a cap casualty.
Now THAT is an interesting twist !! You are so right that if the teams elect to keep the higher priced older players, somebody has to get cut !! From what we know of Pioli's board with every player on it, this is a real possibility for the Belichick/Pioli expertise to cash in on. Thanks for that insight !! Something to really watch for during final cuts to see if the Pats might snag a gem.

rookBoston said:
Of that bunch, only Gorin would attract trade considerations, and a late Day Two pick, at that. But if someone offered a 6th, and O'Callahan and/or Britt looked good, I think BB would make that deal.

As for the original question, will there be a lot of vet FAs later this offseason... I'm not so sure. With the extra cap space, teams can afford to keep players that they would otherwise have cut, not only into TC, but also into the season. We may find that a lot of promising young players, who are cheaper but aren't quite established, may be the victims. We might be able to land a few 2005 Day One picks, who weren't able to turn the corner with the team, and couldn't dislodge a veteran who would otherwise have been a cap casualty.

I think you said it better than I did. Of course I'm not talking about FA as in "contract has run out".

Taliking about talent cut late because of numbers since teams didn't have to cut earlier to get under the cap.

I also agree with your premise. BB doesn't look only for immediate need. He will hold onto players that are available at a bargain price even if they are not ready to step in.

I'm glad some people got my basic premise even if I didn't explain it well.

AndyJohnson said:
I dont thinkn Brown couldnt adjust, I think he was old.
I think the jury is out still on Beisel.
I would never call Donald Hayes or David Terrell a quality WR. Torrance Small actually was playing but got injured. Charles Johnson saw pt but had little left, although he was the #3 ahead of Coleman (who was the #4) Andre Davis did what he did here, which is pretty much what he is capable of.

I dont see guys on that list being unable to adjust to the system, I see them being what they are(were).

And let's not forget about Bert Emanuel or Curtis Jackson!

Last edited:
LB? While the Pats could use better mid-level quality behind Vrabel, Bruschi, and Colvin, they have lots of players on the roster that can compete - Beisel, Alexander, Claridge, Mincey, Tully Banta-Cain.

WR? It would be nice to see an experienced fifth WR, but it's also possible the Pats might just go with four, plus the three TE's and a pass-oriented H-back. Any fifth WR must have ST skills, either a bigger Bannister-like guy (Chas Gessner again?) or a smaller PR guy.

QB. Now here's where the Pats really need to make a move. Cassel shows some raw talent, but the guy just hasn't played much. Remember that he threw his first TD since high school in the meaningless Miami game. And behind him are two raw inaccurate udfa's. If Brady goes down for a couple games, this position could really impact the team. Look again at Tampa Bay, with Simms, Fiedler, McCown, Rattay, and some raw players. Fielder, McCown, and Rattay are all generally similar back-up players, and there's little point in keeping three midlevel back-ups. A deal for Rattay would make sense.

Yo Urgent,

What would you be willing to give up for a Rattay??????

Urgent said:
LB? While the Pats could use better mid-level quality behind Vrabel, Bruschi, and Colvin, they have lots of players on the roster that can compete - Beisel, Alexander, Claridge, Mincey, Tully Banta-Cain.

WR? It would be nice to see an experienced fifth WR, but it's also possible the Pats might just go with four, plus the three TE's and a pass-oriented H-back. Any fifth WR must have ST skills, either a bigger Bannister-like guy (Chas Gessner again?) or a smaller PR guy.

QB. Now here's where the Pats really need to make a move. Cassel shows some raw talent, but the guy just hasn't played much. Remember that he threw his first TD since high school in the meaningless Miami game. And behind him are two raw inaccurate udfa's. If Brady goes down for a couple games, this position could really impact the team. Look again at Tampa Bay, with Simms, Fiedler, McCown, Rattay, and some raw players. Fielder, McCown, and Rattay are all generally similar back-up players, and there's little point in keeping three midlevel back-ups. A deal for Rattay would make sense.

Well they'll have to compete if we don't pick up anyone else. That doesn't mean any of that group will play to the level we've expected at linebacker.

They could, but so could any player.

Seriously, we're talking one player with very mixed reviews from last year and a bunch of F.A's and low draft picks, some with some special team experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick