PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last Offseason was supposed to be one of the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It turned out to be one of the worst off seasons ever.

Dwayne Allen. Huge waste of money. Hasnt done anything. Unproductive. Not even getting reps anymore. Couldve had Marty Bennett back for just a little bit more, and wouldve gotten a whole lot more production.

Mike Gilliselee. The production isnt there. BB tried taking finding diamond in the rough from Buffalo but I don't think the talent is there for him as a true feature back. His longest run this year is 16 yards and his ypc is terrible. More suited as a #2 guy but he's being forced to be a #1 guy in New England. We could've had Blount back for peanuts. Say what you want about Blount, he won 2 SB's with us and instilled fear in defenses. Even when he wasnt gaining big yards, he was pounding defenses and defenders hated having to tackle him. Also great on 3rd down short yardage situations and had the ability to break out big gains, something we've yet to see from Gillislee. Numbers didnt always show it but Blount could run out a clock and grind out first downs. Blount is having a great year with Philly. No one even respects PA with Gillislee in there. Missed out big time on some good mid-round RB's in the draft too.

Stephon Gilmour. I'm taking a wait and see approach, but right now it's not looking so great. We couldve had Logan Ryan back for less money. Ryan was proven in our system and continuity on defense is alway key for communication issues. Something we've seen break down big time with Gilmour.

Lawrence Guy. Another "diamond in the rough" that was supposed to shine in New England. I havent particularly zoned in on his play, but he's part of our DLine that hasnt done a whole lot this year other than Flowers and some flashes from Wise Jr.

Letting Sheard and Chris Long walk, without a capable replacement. We're missing that veteran leadership on the edge. We're missing having a rotation of guys to rush the passer. Hightower is one of the best MLB but just average coming off the edge. Something he should only do when blitzing, not as a DE. I know Long wrote his big goodbye letter saying he wanted to be used differently, but I think the Pats couldve had him back in they really pursued him. He loved playing here and this team misses his experience and leadership.

Kony Ealy. He was supposed to be the guy replacing the 2 above. Didnt even make the team. He actually doesnt look terrible on the Jets. 7 Pass defelctions and an INT so far. Still really young and has room to grow. I guess BB just didnt like him, but what else do we have at DE? It wouldnt have hurt to have someone like Ealy in the rotation.

David Harris. Also paid relatively big money(for his position) and got zero production out of him. Waste of a roster spot. Bust.

Brandin Cooks. The only good move in the offseason. Good things happen when Cooks gets involved in the offense. He will continue to get better with Brady as trust increases and he gets more comfortable in the offense. Currently 4th in the NFL for yards. I think the best has yet to come. He's almost been used strictly as a big play WR, but in New Orleans he averaged way less ypc so he's more than capable of underneath routes as well. Just hasn't clicked there with Brady much, although we saw more of it this week against the Jets.

Ya, many thought we won the offseason, but winning the offseason should only matter to Rex Ryan.

I think where we missed out was addressing the defensive front 7. After losing Sheard, Long, and Nink we are thin on the line. Not much depth at LB, and outside of Hightower, Flowers, and potentially Wise, there's not a lot of talent in that front 7.

I think there's talent in the secondary and they will come around. Just someone tell Butler on 3rd and long he doesn't need to give a 10 yd cushion to a JAG WR. I think Bill will get the D coached up and it will improve, but it doesn't have the front 7 talent to be a great D.

On O losing Edelman hurt, but what's hurt more is the OL play. They aren't opening a ton of holes in the run game (better today though) and haven't been good in pass protection. Solder has really regressed. Hopefully whatever has been nagging him gets better soon. With the way this line has played Blount wouldn't be doing any better then Gillislee. Blount was great once he got to the 2nd level and had LBs & DBs trying to tackle him. With this line he wouldn't get to many chances to get to the 2nd level.

I think where we missed out was addressing the defensive front 7. After losing Sheard, Long, and Nink we are thin on the line.
Nink retiring at the end of July and losing top pick Rivers <3 wks before the start of the season are tough things to plan for. Plus there was supposed to be Ealy.

##### ###### ###### we are 4-2 held our last 2 opponents to under 20, held the JETS DIVISON RIVAL PLAYS US TUFF always, only allowed 7 points in the first quarter, only allowed 7 points in the second quarter, HELD them to 3 POINTS in the entire SECOND HALF.. held them to a field goal in the entire second half, all that without our 2 starting corners (Gilmore, Rowe) who I'm sure would have had a good day as with the rest of the defense, I'm starting to think some people are being manipulated by the media or are trolls, passing yards dont ****ing mean **** if it doesn't equal to points, if someone throws for 500 yards but only puts ups 14-10 points what does it matter????????

The offseason additions certainly fall way behind fans expectations and certainly behind “winning the offseason“ narrative. Still some perspective wouldn't hurt. Production through week 6 by some of them might not be what Pats envisioned . but most are still part of the team and there is still a lot of football to be played. They certainly missed on Ealy, O'Shaughnessy (Harris seems dangerously close but I'll rather wait) but also hit quite a few..

Lawrence Guy - is most dependable DT on the team through 6 games despite playing most of his snaps inside and his versatility around the line could not come to the fore with Branch still catching up and VV missing. For the same reason Pats DL doesn't get enough rotation (like they did previous yrs) which is another underrated thing that should be considered. Imagine Pats line now without him. Then look at his contract. Then “zone“ a little on his play. And then come back with your true evaluation of this FA pick up.

Gillislee - I never heard anyone from Pats team saying Gillislee was brought to be the feature back. Looking at the RB group, contracts and previous yrs he was always going to be part of the committee. He was injured most of TC and he is coming along ok. Nothing splashy, nothing that would feed fans needs . but solid enough - even after fumble. Bringing back LGB to the discussion doesn't make much sense. He is the same guy many people here wanted to part with despite 18 TDs and most Philly fans likewise at the start of the season. He has decent (up and down) season rushing at PHI as their #1 RB at the moment but he is the same liability in passing game (can't catch much or pass protect)

Gilmore - is certainly not playing to his contract at the moment and his dependability is a Q . on the other hand he did flash elite capability when the game is on his terms. The Q remains how his elite potential can fit in MPs preferred D.

Allen - Just 5 snaps on a week Gronk came back from injury doesn't sound good and his production in receiving is non existent (not entirely his fault though). Still Id take the wait and see approach. Marty has 22 receptions for 216 yds and 1 TD on 35 targets through 6 games as GB #1 TE so i'm not sure fans here would be happy with that either.

Burkhead - we'll have to wait and see.

Cooks - yes and he can improve (ugly drops). also imagine this WR group without him.

FA is not just about starters . depth is the biggest part of it. Pats are missing a lot of projected starters/rotational players, lots of key players are missing games and despite all on-the-field problems they remain competitive for the season. Some teams are more or less done after losing a few key players.
__

BTW - the return on last minute additions is above expectations Id guess.

All new guys besides Dorsett were largely seen as ST additions. While they did in fact immediately improved shaky ST unit from preseason and took key roles there . they also showed they can step up on D. Marsh is taking more and more of edge job releasing High for his versatile duties, Bademosi stepped up big time yesterday as Gilmore replacement and even M.Flowers showed some D potential.

All in all not what fans expected/hoped for . but far from any doom..

Last edited:
The offseason additions certainly fall way behind fans expectations and certainly behind “winning the offseason“ narrative. Still some perspective wouldn't hurt. Production through week 6 by some of them might not be what Pats envisioned . but most are still all part of the team and there is still a lot of football to be played. They certainly missed on Ealy, O'Shaughnessy (Harris seems dangerously close but I'll rather wait) but also hit quite a few..

Lawrence Guy - is most dependable DT on the team through 6 games despite playing most of his snaps inside and his versatility around the line could not come to the fore with Branch still catching up and VV missing. For the same reason Pats DL doesn't get enough rotation (like they did previous yrs) which is another underrated thing that should be considered. Imagine Pats line now without him. Then look at his contract. Then “zone“ a little on his play. And then come back with your true evaluation of this FA pick up.

Gillislee - I never heard anyone from Pats team saying Gillislee was brought to be the feature back. Looking at the RB group, contracts and previous yrs he was always going to be part of the committee. He was injured most of TC and he is coming along ok. Nothing splashy, nothing that would feed fans needs . but solid enough - even after fumble. Bringing back LGB to the discussion doesn't make much sense. He is the same guy many people here wanted to part with despite 18 TDs and most Philly fans likewise at the start of the season. He has decent (up and down) season rushing at PHI as their #1 RB at the moment but he is the same liability in passing game (can't catch much or pass protect)

Gilmore - is certainly not playing to his contract at the moment and his dependability is a Q . on the other hand he did flash elite capability when the game is on his terms. The Q remains how his elite potential can fit in MPs preferred D.

Allen - Just 5 snaps on a week Gronk came back from injury doesn't sound good and his production in receiving is non existent (not entirely his fault though). Still Id take the wait and see approach. Marty has 22 receptions for 216 yds and 1 TD on 35 targets through 6 games as GB #1 TE so i'm not sure fans here would be happy with that either.

Burkhead - we'll have to wait and see.

Cooks - yes and he can improve (ugly drops). also imagine this WR group without him.

FA is not just about starters . depth is the biggest part of it. Pats are missing a lot of projected starters/rotational players, lots of key players are missing games and despite all on-the-field problems they remain competitive for the season. Some teams are more or less done after losing a few key players.
__

BTW - the return on last minute additions is above expectations Id guess.

All new guys besides Dorsett were largely seen as ST additions. While they did in fact immediately improved shaky ST unit from preseason and took key roles there . they also showed they can step up on D. Marsh is taking more and more of edge job releasing High for his versatile duties, Bademosi stepped up big time yesterday as Gilmore replacement and even M.Flowers showed some D potential.

All in all not what fans expected/hoped for . but far from any doom..

Also, it's never about just THIS season. Part of it is always about next season and the season thereafter. BB let 30-year-old Blount go in favor of 26-year-old Gillislee.

i think the O-line issues are the most frustrating. We have the same unit from last year, yet having lots of struggles. I think a lot is due to guys being banged up, but still. I expect the defense to improve, but the O-line really needs to get it together. If it is injury related, we need to get someone else in there. I wish we could sit and rest Solder till he's closer to 100%

Gillislee is better than Blount. Blount had wayyyy too many negative gains. Gillislee runs hard, but game flow and play calling (and benching for the fumble) has never gotten him in a groove. When they do give it to him 3 or 4 times in a tow, he has rattled off nice chunks of yards. With Brady, they don't need a featured back....you want the ball in Brady's hands

clip.gif

I don't necessarily agree with each individual assessment, but I do agree with the overall sentiment that the perception of the offseason vs the reality in how it has played out has been pretty different. It goes to show you how bad we and everyone else is at making predictions in the NFL (and why Vegas will always make money).

Can we please stop with the Blount talk? Seriously?

Why? He's having a great year and was a big part of 2 SB runs for us.... we SHOULD be talking about Blount.

Letting him walk and trying to replace him with Gillislee hasn't worked well so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes