PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyler Murray just improved the Patriots chances of getting a high quality non-QB in round one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Kyler Murray is in the NFL draft.

Murray, the Heisman Trophy-winning Oklahoma quarterback, may now become a first-round draft pick in the NFL after already becoming a first-round draft pick of the Oakland A’s in Major League Baseball. He’d be the first athlete ever selected in the first round of two major sports’ drafts.

Kyler Murray declares for NFL draft
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/14/kyler-murray-declares-for-nfl-draft/
12 Draft picks, with a bunch in the top 3 rounds
Wynn coming back from a lost season

If they don't push picks into 2020 (something I'd love to see them do, if it means they get more round 1 ammo for that QB crowd, but not so much if they're going to be trading 7ths for 6ths), we could see a pretty significant attempt at re-working the roster.

And Murray declaring means one more team will be drafting a QB instead of a supporting player, so thank you Kyler!

The allocation of picks between 2019 and 2020 will be a tough series of decisions more likely to be made based on specific opportunity than anything else. The case for trading into 2020 has already been made so I won't get into that, but then you have to consider the overall lack of talent on defense and at the offensive skill positions when we have no idea how many years Brady will play for after this one. Like I said, I don't think the front office will fall into the trap of going "all in" one draft or another on purpose; if there's a trade presented that would be a good value, they're likely to accept no matter what "draft philosophy" it suggests.

We could. We have lots of the 2018 draft folks coming back: Wynn, Bentley, Sam, Izzo, Berrios. And we'll add the normal 8-10 or so 2019 players. Obviously we are in good shape with 7 top picks (the 1st 4 rounds when the player always make the team).

I guess I don't know what "significant" means. Some units will be re-worked, others not so much. This year, the focus should be on the defensive front 7, and the usual question of which WR's will be added.

we could see a pretty significant attempt at re-working the roster.

He also may have helped the jets chances at either bosa or Quinnen Williams

Where do people here see Murray going in the draft? I just don't see someone that small being drafted very high. He put up monster stats, yes. He played well later in the Alabama game but under 6'.......not in the NFL. This will be hotly debated leading up to the draft. I think he should just report to spring straining for the A's and stick to baseball but it's his life/career.

Where do people here see Murray going in the draft? I just don't see someone that small being drafted very high. He put up monster stats, yes. He played well later in the Alabama game but under 6'.......not in the NFL. This will be hotly debated leading up to the draft. I think he should just report to spring straining for the A's and stick to baseball but it's his life/career.

QBs always seem to get pushed up the board and he may have overtaken haskins as the best one in a weak class.

Too bad the Chicago 2nd is so low. Had it been high, we could have potentially traded it for a 2020 1st. (Wasn’t this how we had SF’s 1st in 08?)

The allocation of picks between 2019 and 2020 will be a tough series of decisions more likely to be made based on specific opportunity than anything else. The case for trading into 2020 has already been made so I won't get into that, but then you have to consider the overall lack of talent on defense and at the offensive skill positions when we have no idea how many years Brady will play for after this one. Like I said, I don't think the front office will fall into the trap of going "all in" one draft or another on purpose; if there's a trade presented that would be a good value, they're likely to accept no matter what "draft philosophy" it suggests.

We could. We have lots of the 2018 draft folks coming back: Wynn, Bentley, Sam, Izzo, Berrios. And we'll add the normal 8-10 or so 2019 players. Obviously we are in good shape with 7 top picks (the 1st 4 rounds when the player always make the team).

I guess I don't know what "significant" means. Some units will be re-worked, others not so much. This year, the focus should be on the defensive front 7, and the usual question of which WR's will be added.

Between this year's 5 walking wounded IR draft class we really never got to evaluate well & our dozen 2019 picks, it only makes sense to trade something(s) into 2020 and of course use pickS to trade up this year if BB sees a bright shiny toy within reach that replaces a critical need. Then there's the post draft use of a 2020 pick to trade before the deadline for an attractive vet BB lusts after. Glad I don't have to decide all this. I do see 2020 as the draft class that a shot at a TFB replacement comes available.

Last edited:
Between this year's 6 walking wounded IR draft class we really never got to evaluate well & our dozen 2019 picks, it only makes sense to trade something(s) into 2020 and of course use pickS to trade up this year if BB sees a bright shiny toy within reach that replaces a critical need. Then there's the post draft use of a 2020 pick to trade before the deadline for an attractive vet BB lusts after. Glad I don't have to decide all this. I do see 2020 as the draft class that a shot at a TFB replacement comes available.

I take it as a given that at least one choice will get traded into 2020. And yes, I expect us to trade away at least one (pre-draft) 2019 pick and one (pot-draft) 2020 pick for players. We have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. Having "only" six would hardly be a hardship.

He's 5'9" and skinny, not built at all for the NFL. Not seeing him in the 1st at all.

Too bad the Chicago 2nd is so low. Had it been high, we could have potentially traded it for a 2020 1st. (Wasn’t this how we had SF’s 1st in 08?)

No, actually. The Pats had two firsts in 2007: SEA's from the Deion Branch trade, and their own. They used SEA's pick at #24 to take Meriweather, and then traded their own, #28, to SF for SF's first in 2008 and the fourth-rounder they used on Moss.

Daniel Jones with our second round pick yes or no? Murray declaring means Jones will most likely slide out of the first round.

Murray declares for the draft without violating the terms of his contract with the Athletics, which allows him to keep his options open until February when he makes a definitive decision about which sport he would prefer to play professionally.

The A's selected Murray with the No. 9 overall pick in the 2018 MLB Draft and gave him a $4.66 million signing bonus. If Murray was to decide to play football, he would have to give back most or all of the bonus.

Kyler Murray declares for NFL Draft, still under contract with A's

Kyler Murray is a freak of an athlete. I’ve never seen someone move like him. If you take his height out of this he’s easily a first rounder. Look at his tape.

If he gets put into the right scheme and the right coach he will be a very very solid qb.

Daniel Jones with our second round pick yes or no? Murray declaring means Jones will most likely slide out of the first round.

Part of me says yes, part of me doesn’t.

Yes part is - looks very controlled in the protest. Makes good decisions and has some athletic ability to move. Solid arm. Looks comfortable in the pocket.

No part - i would hate to see a QB come into this team at the moment as there’s a lot of holes, which get covered by BB and TB. I’d like us to ideally get some good players ready for when the time comes rhat TB12 isn’t here, the next QB doesn’t have to be an all pro straight away.

But that might just be me.

All those QBs are going first round - it’s always the way. That bodes well for NE. Here’s hoping they choose at 32...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back