PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Dugger: Career high 12 tackles and zero catches to pro bowl TE Mark Andrews

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Getting excited seeing Kyle Dugger's first start and breakout game. 12 tackles which led the team. I know on the stat sheet it says zero catches given up to pro bowl TE Mark Andrews by Dugger. To be fair Andrews had a catch taken away due to penalty. In either case extremely impressive from our rookie.

6'2 220 pounds, he's a human hammer at SS. Reminds me a bit of Rodney Harrison. Philips already compared Dugger to his pro bowl teammate back in San Diego.

Last edited:
He brings a level of physicality at the safety position that we haven't seen since Rodney. Even Chung, who is a physical player, isn't as aggressive as Dugger. He also had a huge tackle on the final Ravens' drive to keep a receiver in the field of play and keep the clock running.

Once he acclimates to the speed of the game a bit more and can pair his natural ball-hawking/roving instincts with that physicality, look out.

Loving the pick.

A great coach once said of a player "I wouldn't put him in Canton yet". That applies to Mr. Dugger...let's pump the brakes on him...he had one good game...

I'm liking what I see from him, but I fear his archetype isn't all too useful these days. I know part of his good game last night was his coverage of Andrews, but when I watch him and notice good things, it's almost always in the run game. Isn't that what you call a 2 down player?

His development into a true, full time, plus starter hinges on whether he can become good at covering TE and RB. So far I think that area has been a mixed bag. It's early though and I believe in him just like I did on draft day.

I think he's a keeper...

4mmmix.gif

;)

He's VERY talented, and physically elite when it comes to size and speed, vertical jump, etc. Getting Jackson signed is a MUST, this way Jackson and Dugger are the future of this secondary.

I first saw him when he played in the Senior Bowl. And all 3 announcers were raving about the week of practice he had, and also the way he played in the game, against division 1 talent.

He's VERY talented, and physically elite when it comes to size and speed, vertical jump, etc. Getting Jackson signed is a MUST, this way Jackson and Dugger are the future of this secondary.

I first saw him when he played in the Senior Bowl. And all 3 announcers were raving about the week of practice he had, and also the way he played in the game, against division 1 talent.

Agree 100%. Sign JC Jackson immediately. His value keeps going up with every interception. Future is JC Jackson, Dugger, Jonathan Jones, and see if J.Williams can earn more snaps.

You do not have to be a football savant to wonder during the game, "Who is 35?". He was everywhere. He will only get better. Glad his ankle is OK. I would much rather have Dugger than the other strong safeties that do not look "strong" at all. He will cover TEs and RBs easily - we have found our guy if he can avoid injuries.

Very exciting young crop of draft picks in the last two years. Uche is a winner and I think Jennings is a keeper too. I think Keene will be good too. Just Asiasi is a ? along with J Williams as you note. I hope Williams is sitting to "learn a lesson" like Winovich recently completed. Williams is ideal to cover TEs and tall slow WRs.

Thought the Duggar pick was part of BB's master plan to counter the new athletic QB's, so he could mix and match according to the situation...

It is a big leap for him coming from Div II and no TC, but he seems to have done so flawlessly..

Rooks usually have 4 preseason games to get used to the speed of the nfl, and even then, it takes a few more real games to play a lot of downs. Digger played more snaps, defense and special teams than any other Pat against the ratbirds....and he played well.

Getting excited seeing Kyle Dugger's first start and breakout game. 12 tackles which led the team. I know on the stat sheet it says zero catches given up to pro bowl TE Mark Andrews by Dugger. To be fair Andrews had a catch taken away due to penalty. In either case extremely impressive from our rookie.

6'2 220 pounds, he's a human hammer at SS. Reminds me a bit of Rodney Harrison. Philips already compared Dugger to his pro bowl teammate back in San Diego.

That pass to Andrews was an INTERCEPTION; the ratbird never had possession....But on the same drive, Uncle Dugg whiffed when he had the QB dead-to-rights on 3rd down...

Sorry not sorry, but one game with a dozen down-field tackles does Not make him worthy of the 37th overall pick.

That pass to Andrews was an INTERCEPTION; the ratbird never had possession....But on the same drive, Uncle Dugg whiffed when he had the QB dead-to-rights on 3rd down...

Sorry not sorry, but one game with a dozen down-field tackles does Not make him worthy of the 37th overall pick.

One game of that caliber doesn't justify the pick, but if he keeps playing like that consistently he'll deserve his roster spot and playing time regardless of the sunk cost to draft him.

Does it for me , first start ? .....but played well and hopefully lots more to come.

Agree with the Rodney comp. Something to aspire to, but clearly no Jordan Richards.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back