PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft remembers "Boston Bleachers" as child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Blue&Red

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I know this may be a little OT, but I felt this was a cool story.
It was posted in the PatsFans News Feed this week, but I felt compelled to re post it.

I love history, and especially old buildings, landscapes.
Boston was, and is a great city. I loved it, the few times I've been there.

I just thought was a good enough story to link again for those who missed it.

Great stuff I never knew.
And if you are from the region, even better.

Robert Kraft reminisces about Boston’s other baseball treasure - The Boston Globe

EDIT: Additional link- Robert Kraft remembers the Boston Braves — baseball before the Red Sox | Boston.com

Last edited:
Was this picked up by another news feed?? I do not subscribe to the Globe.

The Boston Braves were my team. During my senior year in high school, I spent
many a night at Braves' field watching them play. My friend's dad worked in a bank in Allston and got us passes to their games.
I stopped following baseball when they moved away. I blamed Tom Yawkey for not
letting the Braves play in Fenway Park. Braves' field was a dump with wooden benches
for seats and coal powered trains would blow soot into the ballfield.

I was 5 when the Braves moved away, and not much 0f a memory.. later I went to BU for graduate studies, but seldom ventured beyond Student Union... good info to store in the recesses of the mind.

He can barely see the field now on his booster seat.
I know this may be a little OT, but I felt this was a cool story.
It was posted in the PatsFans News Feed this week, but I felt compelled to re post it.

I love history, and especially old buildings, landscapes.
Boston was, and is a great city. I loved it, the few times I've been there.

I just thought was a good enough story to link again for those who missed it.

Great stuff I never knew.
And if you are from the region, even better.

Robert Kraft reminisces about Boston’s other baseball treasure - The Boston Globe

EDIT: Additional link- Robert Kraft remembers the Boston Braves — baseball before the Red Sox | Boston.com
Boston is loaded with history: Athletic, architectural, cultural, etc.

After marrying my dad and heading out to Albuquerque where he was stationed in the Air Force, my mom met there...the foremost expert on the Boston Back Bay architecture. You can't make this stuff up. Anyway, she became an architectural historian herself.

When I was a kid, I watched and rooted for the Pats, Sox, Celtics and Bruins. I did not know, or care, who the owner of any of the teams was.

Kraft openly has expressed his resentment of Sullivan ["if I ever own this team, I'll do it the right way!], even though Sullivan was in fact the public relations director for the Braves. The following statements by him are such a stark contrast to his treatment of his football team's heritage:

“I’ll never forget when they moved,” Kraft, 77, said about his beloved Braves. “It completely rocked my world. I was 12 years old, and I actually remember crying over it.”

"No amount of money could make up for what I felt and what all the dedicated fans in the region felt at that time.”

“You know, loyalty is very important to us, and I still have that memory. But anyhow, it worked out well.”
GetAttachmentThumbnail

"I do prefer the old logo"

On January 2, 1994, Bob Kraft took his sons to see the Patriots play their last game of a losing 5-11 season which debuted ugly new uniforms and helmets, eliminating the Dolphins in overtime thanks in part to the absence of replay in an otherwise meaningless game, and he was "thrilled and excited; I told myself 'I have to buy this team!'" He did, nineteen days later.

There is no way I can imagine that Kraft was 'thrilled and excited' by any of the wins and success in the 70's when Schaefer Stadium did in fact sell out, often. Nor can I imagine he was even present at the game against the Chargers on September 23, 1979 when "Proto-Elvis" was booed into orbit.

Every time a Patriots alum passes away, which is often now, the words of tribute from Kraft are disingenuous and duplicitous. Belichick is not, in fact, pond scum, but Kraft...

Yeah, there are obviously lots and lots of worse owners. Kraft hired Belichick, and unlike Sullivan with Fairbanks, has managed to avoid driving him out of town. Having Tagliabue send Goodell here in '98 to get the Massachusetts legislature to do a complete 180 and support the construction of a new pro football stadium, and not having Troy Brown be paralyzed for life by a cheap shot in '97, and having Belichick not bench Brady in favor of the recovered Bledsoe in '01, and not having Dreith referee the last game at the old stadium helped a lot.

But they say, you make your own luck. And Kraft definitely invested everything to fulfill his promise to bring a championship to Foxborough.

But he's done nothing to lessen the denigration and abuse of the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back