PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft kept this team here.......Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Great read as we all gear up for another AFC Championship game....

Say whatever you want about Kraft and deflategate BS, but do not ever lose sight of the facts.....were it not for Bob Kraft, none of our Patriot riches would have happened, period!!

The staying home team

It was clear from the start that they wanted to move the team to St. Louis,” Kraft told the Boston Globe’s Will McDonugh back in the winter of 1994. He was referring to then-Patriots owner and Anheuser-Busch heir James B. Orthwein and, more specifically, Orthwein’s lawyer, Walter Metcalfe. It was Metcalfe driving the relocation efforts.

“They never wanted me to have the team,” Kraft continued. “They tried to keep me out of the process. There were seven or eight times in December and January that I thought the team was gone. If Jim Orthwein had his wish, the team would have been in St. Louis. I don’t blame him. He’s from St. Louis and wanted to bring a team to that city. But he also wanted to sell the team without any problems. He wanted to sell and go fishing, and in the end, this was a big factor in our favor.”

Even Kraft-critics have to admit, all the success originates with him.

Hiring Parcells. Building the new stadium.

He gave up draft picks to bring Belichick in from the Jets.

And then, most important, letting Belichick run the team his way without interference.

Yes, it is easy to forget:

Kraft exceeded his personal $125 million limit and paid more for the Patriots, $172 million, than anyone had ever paid for an American professional sports franchise at that time. In fact, he paid far more than he would have back in 1988 when he made a pitch for the team. The timing to do so was more palatable thanks to the 1993 NFL collective bargaining agreement that had introduced a salary cap and revenue sharing into the league’s structure. Those two factors made the deal’s economics more advantageous.

Critics thought Kraft had made an ill-advised emotional decision to spend that obscene amount of money on what was considered one of the worst franchise’s in pro sports. He listened to his critics and then bought the team anyway.

Kraft made his share of blunders, most notably trusting Goodel during spygate and caving to him during deflategate. Those aren't minor errors, given they affected the legacy of the team.....his team.

But on the whole he's been a great owner, certainly one of the best in Boston professional sports scene, maybe THE best. He has run this team effectively since the day he bought it. The Pats were a relative success during the 90's as well. People forget that because they experienced some ups and down like most teams did, but there were mostly ups. The success they've had since the turn of the century will be legendary because it is likely to continue going forward.

However I would add this. If Kraft had failed to keep Orthwein from taking the Pats to St Louis, I have no doubt that wouldn't have ended professional football in NE. The TV market and sports market is just too big for the NFL not to have a presence here. It might have been by expansion or another team's move, but within 5 years there WOULD have been another team here.

I think Kraft's the best owner in the league. Don't have to agree with everything he does though.

It's hard to reconcile the young and hungry Kraft that fought to buy the Pats and make them the best franchise in the league, versus the old and doddering Kraft who got his seat at the big table and is now more about the 32 rather than the 1 that he used to fight so hard for.

NY Times: Kraft Has Payback In Sight (Kinda?) is about a recent long NY Times article about Kraft. All he will say about Deflategate is that the league really messed it up badly. It seems he values his role as an elder statesman more than he does his role as Patriots owner.

That being said, there would be no New England Patriots now without Kraft. As this article points out he could have turned $25M into $75M but instead he insisted on his rights and kept the team in town. So we owe the man his due, but also, IMHO it's entirely fair to point out his current shortcomings.

Kraft made his share of blunders, most notably trusting Goodel during spygate and caving to him during deflategate. Those aren't minor errors, given they affected the legacy of the team.....his team.

But on the whole he's been a great owner, certainly one of the best in Boston professional sports scene, maybe THE best. He has run this team effectively since the day he bought it. The Pats were a relative success during the 90's as well. People forget that because they experienced some ups and down like most teams did, but there were mostly ups. The success they've had since the turn of the century will be legendary because it is likely to continue going forward.

However I would add this. If Kraft had failed to keep Orthwein from taking the Pats to St Louis, I have no doubt that wouldn't have ended professional football in NE. The TV market and sports market is just too big for the NFL not to have a presence here. It might have been by expansion or another team's move, but within 5 years there WOULD have been another team here.

A stadium would have been the key to unlock the door for a return of a franchise had they left.

I don't see how that would have ever come about in Boston or the suburbs.

A stadium would have been the key to unlock the door for a return of a franchise had they left.

I don't see how that would have ever come about in Boston or the suburbs.
It would have been a huge obsticle, but one I think could have been overcome. Kraft obviously showed he had the know how to make it happen. Paul Fireman, who owned Rebook had much more money than Kraft, at the time. He could have been another owner option who had the money and know how to build a stadium. Meanwhile Foxboro could have been an immediate short term facility

The old man I see now doesn't resemble the younger, shrewd fan who put up his own money (against advice) to keep the Patriots in the area.

I can understand those who believe in his importance. I just have a very difficult time forgetting/forgiving him for the entire handling of the air pressure situation. Still very angry.

The old man I see now doesn't resemble the younger, shrewd fan who put up his own money (against advice) to keep the Patriots in the area.

I can understand those who believe in his importance. I just have a very difficult time forgetting/forgiving him for the entire handling of the air pressure situation. Still very angry.
And if you still are, you will be forever. Nothing will ever change for you. You'll die still being pissed off. And no amount of Super Bowl wins will ever make up for that transgression.

Well he kept them here twice. Weren't the Patriots out the door to Connecticut in 99? Than Kraft backed out and decided to build Gillette stadium.

No football in a top 5 market, the team was never going to leave.

Until Goodell is fired, Kraft's name is a bit tarnished

And if you still are, you will be forever. Nothing will ever change for you. You'll die still being pissed off. And no amount of Super Bowl wins will ever make up for that transgression.
I suppose you're right. Especially since I put no stock in his role in any of the SBs to date.

People that hold onto anger and grudges rarely understand that they're only hurting themselves.

It's like they're pounding their heads with a hammmer while saying "see how angry I am? Take that Kraft!" :rolleyes:

Well he kept them here twice. Weren't the Patriots out the door to Connecticut in 99? Than Kraft backed out and decided to build Gillette stadium.

Connecticut was Kraft's leverage to try and get stadium is South Boston. It was a bluff that unfortunately Connecticut believed, but not Boston

I suppose you're right. Especially since I put no stock in his role in any of the SBs to date.
Then you very likely think the tooth fairy or the Easter Bunny went through hell to get Bill Belichick as coach of this team. Hey, I get the anger over Kraft's handling of DG, but if you honestly believe he deserves no credit for any SBs then you're either in complete denial or incredibly stupid. While I don't know you, I'm putting my money on the former.

Even Kraft-critics have to admit, all the success originates with him.

Hiring Parcells. Building the new stadium.

He gave up draft picks to bring Belichick in from the Jets.

And then, most important, letting Belichick run the team his way without interference.
Oooooooooooooooooooooops.

Orthwein hired Parcells.

Building CMGI Field, yes - quite profitable.

But the interfering continued from Parcells to Carroll to Belichick; took several seasons to get him to keep his claws at bay...Belichick's a patient guy. Hey, he's still waiting for our real logo to be put back on our helmets.

There has never been any "transition". Yes, Kraft "broke every one of my financial rules" in buying the team and keeping it here. Kudos.

But, #1: He believes he purchased an expansion team. Specifically, with zero history, fandom, on field glory, tradition, heritage or pride. Every time an old timer passes away now, he gives lip service to that individual's immeasurable contribution, sacrifice and class. Lip service only, never honor or recognition or reality.

#2: When the league says jump, Kraft says "How high?"
th

There is zero difference between accepting and keeping Orthwein's ridiculous logo replacement and burying our real one-which tacitly if not tangibly endorsed all the Patriots-derision of the previous fifteen years before his purchase-and his contrition and acquiescence to all of the league's subsequent baseless attacks on the team.

I'm sorry, but that is an ignorant statement.

The Patriots are here because of him and not in St Louis or LA.

Belichick is here because of him instead of NY or Oakland.

As a result, without Kraft there aren't 4 shiny Lombardis sitting in a non-descript Massachusetts town on a honky tonk road lined with tire shops.

But, #1: He believes he purchased an expansion team. Specifically, with zero history, fandom, on field glory, tradition, heritage or pride. Every time an old timer passes away now, he gives lip service to that individual's immeasurable contribution, sacrifice and class. Lip service only, never honor or recognition or reality.

Is that some sort of Onion article or are you a NY fan coming here to troll? Dude was a 25 year season ticket holder before he bought the team. "Expansion team"? "Zero history"? "Fandom"? "Tradition, history, pride"??

Was there a Patriots Hall before Kraft?

You must think the moon is made out of cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots