PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft comments on Patriots are cheap storyline.

It’s going to be a wild offseason. I cant help but feel like this team is going to be spending like crazy trying to reset the offensive side of the ball. OL, a few RB’s, restocking the TE position, a few WR’s via FA and draft. Im really interested to see what they do with the OL and TE position. This is going to be a smash mouth football team, going to need quality depth.
My only concern with that, is not how much money they spend in FA (although I do not want them to end up in "Cap Hell") but who they spend it on. The year that the team went all out for Judon, Henry, Smith, Parker, and Bourne, is not what I want to see again. They also had to do that because of repeated draft failures. I think that most would agree that nailing it in this, and future drafts (although every team makes mistakes in that area) combined with the right FA's is what builds a contender/winner. That, combined with solid coaching/teaching.

This is the guy who went to an Asian massage parlor in the suburbs of Florida rather than dropping real money on some Wall Street hookers. He’s clearly cheap.

This is the guy who went to an Asian massage parlor in the suburbs of Florida rather than dropping real money on some Wall Street hookers. He’s clearly cheap.
Well, at least with respect to hookers, he was clearly cheap.

You mean six Super Bowls and then a rough patch of a few years? It seems like this suggests that the approach has both good and bad results. Shrug.
The results are directly proportional to having a franchise QB.

The post you quoted had nothing to do about contract negotiations. It was about public perception which was to address the political bit you tried to bring into it.

If that is the conversation you wanted to have them sure Kraft played a role in Brady not returning. But that’s not how the public viewed it. You were talking about why people hate Belichick and then shifted to a lesser known subject of contract negotiations with Brady. What’s your point?
By the time Brady walked into Kraft's home his mind was made up. There was nothing Kraft could say (match Bucs offer?) to change it. Brady wanted to hear it from Bill but Bill thought he was bluffing. Brady leaving is 90% on Bill and 10% on Kraft for believing him.

Amazingly Kraft admitted that Pats were cheap but he credited that to Bill always having the future in mind.
I suspect it was an organizational philosophy that both Kraft and Bill believed in
No owner wants to spend cash upfront, especially if the GM doesn't ask for it. That's why Kraft said he gave Bill everything he asked for. That's also why Kraft said in '21 he had never written so many checks when they spent an NFL record amount in guaranteed money. I suspect Bill thought saving Kraft cash would justify his $20M+ salary. At least until they were winning.

Yes, and the fact they have public pressure from us the fan is even better. I can almost be rest assured that we will have far superior talent on this offense this off season. Re-sign Henry is a must.

Honestly I think MHJ is going to be our draft selection. Just my gut. So say MHJ., KB, pop Douglas and Pittman Jr. That is a nice WR corps.
I wouldn't re-sign Henry. I would rather re-sign Pharaoh for cheap, sign Shultz (younger, better blocker) and draft Ja'Tavion Sanders.

Other than Bill's not here. Everything was filtered thru Bill, so final player selection and FA signings were all because Bill deemed it so. That is not to say that Bill did all the leg work. From my desk, players were evaluated based on a scoring system that Bill had in place. Now, it's Mayo's show, with Groh and Wolf. I think it's likely that they will have a different type of player they want. Things that Bill wanted, things he felt were important, may be down the list further under this new regime.

What I am saying is, yes, the same guys are there, but they do not have Bill's commandments, edicts, ideologues and guidelines that might have constrained who they picked or signed. I would think these guys will have their own player evaluation system that they want, and it may take pieces and parts of Bill's system, but it will certainly have their own take on what type of player is brought in.

It takes me back my first statement. Everything was filtered thru Bill. Bill's filter is no longer in place, and these people, who have experience, now are free to design their own system for roster building.
100%

Bill had that place locked down tighter than upstater's *******.

Actually, there is a way to dispute that. Spending more now means borrowing from the future. Ultimately, cash spend and cap spend have to be equal over a period of years. I have yet to see a reasonable explanation of how Kraft can be cheap, over a period of years, given league requirements to spend to the cap.
Yea, I guess people don't realize that dead money is cash that was already spent just making it into the books now, such as Brady's $13.5M in 2020 while he was winning a SB with the Bucs.

I wouldn't re-sign Henry. I would rather re-sign Pharaoh for cheap, sign Shultz (younger, better blocker) and draft Ja'Tavion Sanders.
We'll still need a QB (even if he sits for year and learns).

Well good thing is you don't have to over draft your bank account paying Henry. If Henry resigned it would not be for top dollar, he's been good here not great. So I can easily see him resigned. I'm with you on brown & drafting Sanders also.

How many 50+ yo asian wall street hookers can there be? Don't judge the man for his taste in women.

I want Shultz too. Pay for him, a wide receiver, Owenhu (assuming he fits the scheme) and Brisket and hopefully that’ll compliment an offense-heavy draft. Sign some good D FAs and hopefully we have an ok team.

I want Shultz too. Pay for him, a wide receiver, Owenhu (assuming he fits the scheme) and Brisket and hopefully that’ll compliment an offense-heavy draft. Sign some good D FAs and hopefully we have an ok team.
Need to get an elite RB for what appears to be a run heavy scheme. Don't want to overpay for one, but there's a few interesting names in FAcy. Rham won't last all year.

Bob Kraft is very sensitive to criticism. Wants to surround himself with bunch of ”yes” people.

Last edited:
The Patriots are cheap until proven otherwise Bill is gone so now lets see the spending over the next 5 years starting from now, lets see them in the top 5 or 10 and then revisit this.

One off season of spending doesn't mean anything because you eventually have to spend, it's about the average over a 5-10 year period.

This is not a destination anymore, nobody wants to play in the cold on a team that's going to be projected to win 6 games if you want elite talent and star players you're going to have to pay at the top of the market to get this thing back to being a competitive watchable product, you can't just draft your way out of it, there's nothing good or impressive about sucking for 5 years until you can get 5 picks in the top 10 to build your team.

My only concern with that, is not how much money they spend in FA (although I do not want them to end up in "Cap Hell") but who they spend it on. The year that the team went all out for Judon, Henry, Smith, Parker, and Bourne, is not what I want to see again. They also had to do that because of repeated draft failures. I think that most would agree that nailing it in this, and future drafts (although every team makes mistakes in that area) combined with the right FA's is what builds a contender/winner. That, combined with solid coaching/teaching.
Im in agreement except idc how much they spend. I want good, quality players. Re-establish a productive middle class.

Other than Bill's not here. Everything was filtered thru Bill, so final player selection and FA signings were all because Bill deemed it so. That is not to say that Bill did all the leg work. From my desk, players were evaluated based on a scoring system that Bill had in place. Now, it's Mayo's show, with Groh and Wolf. I think it's likely that they will have a different type of player they want. Things that Bill wanted, things he felt were important, may be down the list further under this new regime.

What I am saying is, yes, the same guys are there, but they do not have Bill's commandments, edicts, ideologues and guidelines that might have constrained who they picked or signed. I would think these guys will have their own player evaluation system that they want, and it may take pieces and parts of Bill's system, but it will certainly have their own take on what type of player is brought in.

It takes me back my first statement. Everything was filtered thru Bill. Bill's filter is no longer in place, and these people, who have experience, now are free to design their own system for roster building.
I was just referring to the claims about what went on the last few years. Not what's going to happen

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
Back