PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kicking the 56 yard FG vs going for it on 4th and 3

I thought the kick was outside of Folk's range and I was right.

4th and 3 is also a low probability play.

Whatever.

Bill and Josh didn’t trust their star rookie QB there. That sucks
I think they did not trust those around him. Can you say Wynn will not have false started? Who was going to making the play and not bubble it for an INT? The whole offense have not gain trust. It may come later.
I see this as a confidence protection for Mac. They are building an a QB and he will be good for it. Don’t want to have that headlines out there and get non desirable things in his head

No-brainer decision. Right call.
Now if we had a decent offensive line and a more seasoned QB, you could argue in favor of going for it.

he did call a good game. Still, mac needs to make a few downfield throws every game. And find a game changing wide receiver with yards after catch ability
Part of it is on Mac, he's definitely chosen the safe underneath throw over the guy open downfield a lot. Give the kid time, he sends to be more focused on not making a losing play than the big throws

I thought the kick was outside of Folk's range and I was right.

4th and 3 is also a low probability play.

Whatever.
I think with how Mac was playing you give him a chance.

At 4th and 3 all choices are bad odds. But I think in context the field goal attempt was the kind of decision we all laughed at when Brady was our QB and the other team was in the desperate situation.

Folk is an aging kicker coming off an injury who never had a rep for having a mega leg to start with, being asked to match his career best kick in the rain.

Jones set a 30 year record for consecutive completions by a rookie in that game and needed 3 yards.

Both are unlikely to work in a vacuum. At that particular place and time, Option #2 was the smarter gamble in my opinion.

At 4th and 3 all choices are bad odds. But I think in context the field goal attempt was the kind of decision we all laughed at when Brady was our QB and the other team was in the desperate situation.

Folk is an aging kicker coming off an injury who never had a rep for having a mega leg to start with, being asked to match his career best kick in the rain.

Jones set a 30 year record for consecutive completions by a rookie in that game and needed 3 yards.

Both are unlikely to work in a vacuum. At that particular place and time, Option #2 was the smarter gamble in my opinion.
In my opinion, going for it was the call to make because if you got it, the game is almost over you can run the clock out or at least force Tampa to burn their TO. Even if you make the FG, Brady has still a minute left with 2 TO the get the Bucs in FG range.

going for it to get the first and would’ve almost guaranteed victory had they made it.

even making the field goal left at least a 40% chance the GOAT drives them down for a FG. Our defense was gassed.

He was shaky at the very end though.
Hey had s bad series. He was playing great up until then. Either way. It is what it is, we are on to the Texans

He was shaky at the very end though.

you have to think they have a play somewhere for 2 to 4 yards…not just a hand off for no gain for a pass in the flat off the finger tips. Heck a direct snap to RB (old Kevin Faulk play) could be used in short yardage that we seem to not make when we need it.

you have to think they have a play somewhere for 2 to 4 yards…not just a hand off for no gain for a pass in the flat off the finger tips. Heck a direct snap to RB (old Kevin Faulk play) could be used in short yardage that we seem to not make when we need it.
I would have gone for it, I am just saying that could have impacted Bill decision

Hey had s bad series. He was playing great up until then. Either way. It is what it is, we are on to the Texans

Win the next 2 games and get to .500 I saw some positives in last night.

Revisionist history is awesome.
Are you insinuating people only hate the call because it missed? That nobody was against the kick before knowing the result?

Despicable, nonsensical, cowardly call.

A 56-yarder is a very, very difficult FG in any circumstance let alone in these conditions.

You get a first down, at worst you kick a 52-yarder for the win. You control your own destiny, you have a TO, you can have a couple of plays for a decent FG attempt.

Even if Folk made it, there were 50 seconds and 2 TO’s and it’s Brady with the ball only needing FG range.

Give your young QB a chance to win the game. Horrible decision from every angle.
That felt like a decision where someone (Patricia?) gave BB the statistical odds of each happening and BB trusted the aNaLyTiCs instead of the feel of the game. Bad call. Folk almost bailed out the decision, but it still would have been a bad choice. Just under a minute and 2 timeouts is more than enough time for Brady to drive for the W anyway.

I think with how Mac was playing you give him a chance.
We always hear coaches say in the aftermath of a failed play, "We thought we had a play that would work".

In this specific instance, they didn't feel they had one so they kicked it.

I didn't like the decision. Not from 56 yards away, in the rain and from Nick Folk.

Gotta win the next one. Who we playing?

That felt like a decision where someone (Patricia?) gave BB the statistical odds of each happening and BB trusted the aNaLyTiCs instead of the feel of the game. Bad call. Folk almost bailed out the decision, but it still would have been a bad choice. Just under a minute and 2 timeouts is more than enough time for Brady to drive for the W anyway.
Does that analytics account for the weather, the game situation, injuries, who the QBs are? I hate dumb stats like that. Going for it was a no brainer.

I think Bucs probably get that stop on 4th down by the way.

Does that analytics account for the weather, the game situation, injuries, who the QBs are? I hate dumb stats like that. Going for it was a no brainer.

I think Bucs probably get that stop on 4th down by the way.
Definitely not the game situation. Weather, yes. Analytics has no feel for the game, though.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back