PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keion Crossen CB pick 243

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
These are the kind of late picks I really like.

Instant analysis from the Patriots selection of Western Carolina CB Keion Crossen

He obviously has some draw backs being under 5'10 and 180 lbs but his speed and quickness are for real as is his work ethic it seems. That 4.33 40 time by itself is interesting but 6.67 3 cone time makes one really take notice (both scores were better than Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson or Mike Hughes). Also he seems to play up to those times on the field. Obviously not everything is perfect with his play and putting him on a large WR would be a big mistake. Nothing about his play in what I've seen indicates he can't play either outside or inside.

Perhaps a great option to have on some of those smaller outside speed WRs. This is the kind of pick to be excited about late IMO. I definitely see a potential upside here. The question is can he put it together and use those skills?

I give this pick an A+

Last edited:
I really like this pick. The Pats always bring in at least 1-2 udfas i really like & he's one. Some more thoughts Crossen from looking at him for the list. Checks all the boxes we like in almost every category. This shows up on tape watching him. He's a very easy, fluid mover that gets to from A to B in a big hurry. No wasted steps of motion for the most part. Times fast, plays faster. As you can see below he plays aggressive in all phases on the game. Plays w/ that chip on his shoulder big time. Smart, high character guy that will look to do some community work & get intergraded if he can. Kind of guy that will do the little stuff to stay on. I said in another thread he might be able to play inside/outside bc of how smooth he is. He just floats out there but obviously size is n issue. I was speaking more to him following some smaller, faster guys around that might move in motion or we the case during a game. Not as a starting outside CB.

Dawson & Crossen are 2 dogs that bring it every play. Like you said camp will be fun.

JC Jackson is another good CB pickup. IDK what his off the field issues are but he certainly is intriguing and with nothing invested in him is an easy cut if need be.

Something stuck out to me as negatives about Crossen. He 2 times faced end zone pick plays and 2 times he was beaten. One was for a TD against him and one was on a running play but he was beaten on the pick none the less. He needs to anticipate those more. (2:12 and 2:30)

Also I saw 2 times he took a bad angle on guys. at 0:52 he took the wrong angle and what should have been a loss went for a short gain and at 3:50 his speed gets him in position to make a play but he again takes the wrong angle allowing 10 more yards.

Also at 3:10 he again fails to get a tackle for a loss.

The positives are 1:47 when his speed is all full display. He makes a great heads up play at 3:00 to cover another player's guy (he was where he was suppose to be) to save a TD. He has the kind of speed to make that play. Pretty impressive.

Overall there was a reason a guy with his eye popping talent fell to this spot. His game is messy at times but when he puts it together he can stick to nearly any WR.

Last edited:
Crossen ain't crossin' that 5'10" Maginot Line....I thought we saw the last of the Ellis Hobbs family tree...

This is interesting. One think that Crossen’s height would put him inside in the nickel, but not so it seems.

A lower level of competition, obviously, at Western Carolina,” Caserio added of Crossen, a two-time SoCon defensive player of the week. “He showed up on a big stage just from a workout perspective. It really blew it out of the water. He’s undersized, just from a size standpoint, but he’s athletic. He runs well, he’s explosive, he’s real competitive, probably more of a perimeter corner.”

Western Carolina’s Keion Crossen worked his way onto Patriots’ ‘radar screen’

Yeah....... I'm excited to see what happens this coming week. Many teams end up making trades and New England is no exception. Training camp, as noted above, ought to be REALLY fun this year.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the football side of things, that we forget how much of a transformational impact that being drafted can have on a player and his family. I'm definitely following Crossen's career with interest, and it sounds like he has a great perspective on life.

One word comes to mind watching him play: "SPEED". Not only did he time under 4.4 but he shows it on the field, albeit against sub-par competition but when he catches up to someone while being 20 yards behind is amazing. It's like he was shot out of a cannon.

This is interesting. One think that Crossen’s height would put him inside in the nickel, but not so it seems.

Western Carolina’s Keion Crossen worked his way onto Patriots’ ‘radar screen’
I said this when he was drafted & agree to an extent. Idk about a full time perimeter CB but I think he can follow guys out there. Right match up I'd take it. Who knows.

They might have thought he's a more fluid Jon Jones? Nickel/ST w/ some upside outside?

I love the pick. Def long shot but after the 4th it's "Take A Shot" 95% of the time anyway. Crossen is the kind of player you "take a shot" on.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the football side of things, that we forget how much of a transformational impact that being drafted can have on a player and his family. I'm definitely following Crossen's career with interest, and it sounds like he has a great perspective on life.

Great. Thanks.

And he has a chance at 53 being possibly best ST option of all rookies esp. w new rules..

I like him more than Dawson. But I suppose Dawson has a higher floor so the double dip here makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes