PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

KDPPATSFAN 2 Round Mock draft 4/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not giving Laurinaitis credit, he does take on Guards like Rey...of course they both pedal backwards like they're on rollerskates. :p

A few years ago, a lot of scouts said Wilfork played on roller skates, but Pepper and BB helped cure him of that ailment and now he is a fine NT.

The bottom line is that Laurenitis tackles and BB wants players on his defense that can tackle.

I still do not think Laurenitis works in a 3-4 defense, but he did a much better job in his senior season of taking on OGs and not back pedaling.

A few years ago, a lot of scouts said Wilfork played on roller skates, but Pepper and BB helped cure him of that ailment and now he is a fine NT.

The bottom line is that Laurenitis tackles and BB wants players on his defense that can tackle.

I still do not think Laurenitis works in a 3-4 defense, but he did a much better job in his senior season of taking on OGs and not back pedaling.
And every draft site tells me my eyes are lying about Rey's ability to stack and shed OL, but after checking out both Linebackers the past couple years, neither play NE's game or look to be good value as conversion projects where they are projected. Whenever possible I try to watch a player play football and then compare it to the draftnik profiles - it makes disagreeing with you easier. :D

that would be an awful draft.

belichick's gonna take the tight end folks. just ease into it so it's not such a jolt on draft day. we'll still get english or barwin at 34.

that would be an awful draft.

belichick's gonna take the tight end folks. just ease into it so it's not such a jolt on draft day. we'll still get english or barwin at 34.

As long as the tight end is named Barwin I'm ok with it. :D

As long as the tight end is named Barwin I'm ok with it. :D

Speaking of Barwin at TE, is has been reported that if we drafted him, the odds on favorite is that it would be at TE. Since that is the scouting personnel we sent, it is probably pretty doubtful that we'd use him at LB then. Is this true? Mayo, I'm sure you would know a lot more on the subject, but is it possible that BB would like his athletic ability at the TE position, and that he also views him as a special teams plus too?

I, and maybe a lot of others have been assuming that if we took him it would be for LB. If this is the case, then we very well may get our jokingly 'boring' type TE pick at #23 or #34. I really don't care who we get, as I trust our coach and scouting dept. tremendously, but would a lot feel as high on Barwin if he were going to be for TE only?

IMO--I think we're just fine at TE for this yr, especially with the addition of Baker. I think Watson had a bit of a lack of chemistry with Cassel, and will have an improved yr also. I haven't even given up on Thomas yet either, so my opinion is that I wouldn't mind Barwin at LB, but if we're going to use him for TE only then I'd hold off. Thoughts???

Speaking of Barwin at TE, is has been reported that if we drafted him, the odds on favorite is that it would be at TE. Since that is the scouting personnel we sent, it is probably pretty doubtful that we'd use him at LB then. Is this true? Mayo, I'm sure you would know a lot more on the subject, but is it possible that BB would like his athletic ability at the TE position, and that he also views him as a special teams plus too?

I, and maybe a lot of others have been assuming that if we took him it would be for LB. If this is the case, then we very well may get our jokingly 'boring' type TE pick at #23 or #34. I really don't care who we get, as I trust our coach and scouting dept. tremendously, but would a lot feel as high on Barwin if he were going to be for TE only?

IMO--I think we're just fine at TE for this yr, especially with the addition of Baker. I think Watson had a bit of a lack of chemistry with Cassel, and will have an improved yr also. I haven't even given up on Thomas yet either, so my opinion is that I wouldn't mind Barwin at LB, but if we're going to use him for TE only then I'd hold off. Thoughts???
Barwin reportedly met with offensive and defensive coaches during his visit.

There have been a number of folks insisting a first round pick has to contribute immediately, as a TE Barwin is more likely to contribute right off. As to where he plays long term, he can be training as an OLB while taking TE reps. Watson and Thomas are in their contract years, though Thomas will be an RFA in an uncapped 2010; Barwin is as athletic as Watson, and he gets called "clutch" as a receiver by NFL Draft Scout - not a term you'd apply to Watson.

Mayock didn't consider Barwin as a TE until after Senior Bowl week when he had the chance to watch him working as a TE. If you are Caserio/Belichick, it's easier to assess his overall value as a TE, then look to OLB and Special Teams for added value. We know Grahambo at #21 and Watson at #32 were considered good value by BB. I think Graham gave full value; Watson has improved as a blocker giving his value a boost, though I think the arguments saying his drops and turnovers over the years better justify him as a second round value have merit. You can make a good case for Barwin at #23/#34 as a TE. I think you can make the same case as an OLB too, if you add his TE and Special Teams' capability into the mix.

Barwin reportedly met with offensive and defensive coaches during his visit.

There have been a number of folks insisting a first round pick has to contribute immediately, as a TE Barwin is more likely to contribute right off. As to where he plays long term, he can be training as an OLB while taking TE reps. Watson and Thomas are in their contract years, though Thomas will be an RFA in an uncapped 2010; Barwin is as athletic as Watson, and he gets called "clutch" as a receiver by NFL Draft Scout - not a term you'd apply to Watson.

Mayock didn't consider Barwin as a TE until after Senior Bowl week when he had the chance to watch him working as a TE. If you are Caserio/Belichick, it's easier to assess his overall value as a TE, then look to OLB and Special Teams for added value. We know Grahambo at #21 and Watson at #32 were considered good value by BB. I think Graham gave full value; Watson has improved as a blocker giving his value a boost, though I think the arguments saying his drops and turnovers over the years better justify him as a second round value have merit. You can make a good case for Barwin at #23/#34 as a TE. I think you can make the same case as an OLB too, if you add his TE and Special Teams' capability into the mix.

I would agree with most of this.

The Pats have been relatively quiet about Barwin. I take this as a good sign, as they are not likely to tip their hand. Barwin met with both offensive and defensive personnel. I don't think they are particularly focused on him as a TE in the long term, but the fact that they want to evaluate his skills in this area suggests that they are considering using him in more than one way. I also think it's a good way of evaluating how he moves in space, since he will be much more fluid as a TE given his experience than doing LB drills.

If the Pats end up taking Barwin, he could easily end up being the 3rd TE his rookie year while playing ST and getting situational play at OLB while he learns the position. I think he is the kind of player that BB will try to find ways to get on the field in a variety of ways.

My bad then guys--I thought I read during an interview that he said he only met with offensive personnel. It was probably before he may have had a private visit, etc. Anyway, thanks for the responses.

And every draft site tells me my eyes are lying about Rey's ability to stack and shed OL, but after checking out both Linebackers the past couple years, neither play NE's game or look to be good value as conversion projects where they are projected. Whenever possible I try to watch a player play football and then compare it to the draftnik profiles - it makes disagreeing with you easier. :D

There is no disagreement in player evaluations, just different projections.

At the end of the day, if we are drafting #32 every year, then I will like whomever we take, even; and this is big for me - Mayo!!!!!!!

There is no disagreement in player evaluations, just different projections.

At the end of the day, if we are drafting #32 every year, then I will like whomever we take, even; and this is big for me - Mayo!!!!!!!
Aw, I could have sworn you were the cello player on the Mayo bandwagon last Spring. :D

My understanding is that in an earlier meeting, we our TE coach. In the visit, everyone interviewed and evaluated him. I have particular problem with a developmental player. 34 is very early. However, if Barwin can also be a top Ster AND be our # TE, then he is a fine pick at 34. Of course, he could just be one of our top two TE's for the next few years. That would also be fine value for the pick.

My bad then guys--I thought I read during an interview that he said he only met with offensive personnel. It was probably before he may have had a private visit, etc. Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Thank You Ochmed. I respect your opinions. There is nothing as important as instincts for a ILB. Having instincts and all the size and production that Lauranitis exibits, and being a film room rat, along with his Academic All American smarts makes for just what BB looks for in a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes