Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
How many OL's do we need?

Thuney is likely gone after the season.

Our current backups are Karras, Schwenke, Croston, Ferentz. Who do you think is dependable in case of an injury?
============
I would argue that at 2 OL's in the top seven PLUS a free agent. We could do with one fewer, and count on Karras and Croston again.

Im fine with karras as depth on the interior. Jury is still out on croston, but if hes not up to it swing tackle is a clear need with waddle gone.

Theres an outside chance we have what we need with wynn stepping in at lt with croston and karras as the main ol depth, but id say obtaining one more quality tackle would be wise.

Our current backups are Karras, Schwenke, Croston, Ferentz. Who do you think is dependable in case of an injury?
============
I would argue that at 2 OL's in the top seven PLUS a free agent. We could do with one fewer, and count on Karras and Croston again.

Ouch. That's a lot of draft capital. Hadn't been anticipating that much need. Hmmm.

On the other hand, can we draft them both from Rutgers? If we can use those picks to fulfill that quota, it'll help with the other five.

============
OT in the first 4 rounds, OT in FA. IOL if they are BPA.

The Patriots have won the Super Bowl in every year of the Brian Schwenke Era.

I think we need another Round 1 thru 3 OT. I think we're fine on the interior for 2019.

Of all the positions, we have the most solid depth at CB

Of all the positions, we have the most solid depth at CB
true, but why did you post this comment here on this thread. BTW, in 2020, we could lose 1 or 2 corners (jones and Mccourty).

Last edited:
true, but why did you post this comment here on this thread. BTW, in 202, we could lose 1 or 2 corners (jones and Mccourty).
Oh my bad, I got Kroston and Crossen mixed up. Point taken though about 202.

I think we will see 2 or 3 o-lineman taken in the draft. One in the first 3 rounds and then a couple of mid-later picks. We need a swing tackle with starter potential as well as some interior depth. I even think we could get a o-lineman at 32, but the 2nd round feels more likely.

I think we will see 2 or 3 o-lineman taken in the draft. One in the first 3 rounds and then a couple of mid-later picks. We need a swing tackle with starter potential as well as some interior depth. I even think we could get a o-lineman at 32, but the 2nd round feels more likely.

They’ve certainly looked at a couple of linemen that could go close to 32.

============
I think they’ll draft two, with one likely heading to the PS. We could use another OT, to prepare for growing pains with Wynn, injury concerns with Cannon, the possibility of him leaving at the end of the year, and the need for competition at swing tackle.

Croston and Karras are the closest to locks out of the bunch, and I think they are reliable. Of course, we’d like a larger sample size before making that determination, but they are the front runners, thus far.

We also have to assume that one of the starting five (or two) may be injured in TC and that adequate replacements are needed.

Wynn, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon, Croston, Karras, higher round pick (OT), and one of Schwenke/Ferentz/possible free agent makes 9. If Bill wishes to keep 10 on the roster for reasons discussed above, so be it. It’s not ideal, but it’s also completely understandable.

I believe that we need 2 OL's with potential of starting this year or next. One is a swing OT, capable of playing for an extensive period of games whenever one of our OT's is out. Another is an OG capable of starting in 2020, or at worst being a Game Day backup.

For me, the best Game Day backups are OG/C and a swing OT. I would prefer to draft both in the first 3 rounds. We can afford to give 2 top developmental players to Scar because we do have Karras and Croston.

We have Karras who is fine but not likely our projected starter in place of Thuney. However, we could wait a year with Karras as our Game Day backup (or perhaps Schwenke.

The greater need is at OT.

As manxman has pointed out, we could draft an OG high in the draft, an OG who could also back at one or both of the OT positions.
====
FOR ME, I think the most likely scenario is to draft an OG and trade for an OT.

I think they’ll draft two, with one likely heading to the PS. We could use another OT, to prepare for growing pains with Wynn, injury concerns with Cannon, the possibility of him leaving at the end of the year, and the need for competition at swing tackle.

Croston and Karras are the closest to locks out of the bunch, and I think they are reliable. Of course, we’d like a larger sample size before making that determination, but they are the front runners, thus far.

We also have to assume that one of the starting five (or two) may be injured in TC and that adequate replacements are needed.

Wynn, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon, Croston, Karras, higher round pick (OT), and one of Schwenke/Ferentz/possible free agent makes 9. If Bill wishes to keep 10 on the roster for reasons discussed above, so be it. It’s not ideal, but it’s also completely understandable.

Last edited:
Ferentz is out of practice squad eligibility, right? That complicates things a little bit, as I think his age (he’ll turn 30 in June) helped keep him on the practice squad for most of the past two seasons when a similarly skilled 22 year old 5th round pick might have been signed away.

We'll need another iOL and at least 1 additional OT.

So lets assume we draft an OT in the top 101 and take 1-2 OL in the 6th and 7th round.

Wynn
Thuney
Andrews
Mason
Cannon

Croston/6-7 round rookie
Karras
Schwenke/Ferentz/6-7 round rookie
Top 101 rookie

It wouldn't even be shocking if we take the iOL in the top 101 to me. But I think we walk out of the draft with at least 2 OL drafted.

Are you expecting a 3rd round OT to be our swing OT? The alternative seems to be Croston or a 6-7 rounder.

And your replacement for Thuney next year is Karra? or Schwenke? or your6th rounder?

We'll need another iOL and at least 1 additional OT.

So lets assume we draft an OT in the top 101 and take 1-2 OL in the 6th and 7th round.

Wynn
Thuney
Andrews
Mason
Cannon

Croston/6-7 round rookie
Karras
Schwenke/Ferentz/6-7 round rookie
Top 101 rookie

It wouldn't even be shocking if we take the iOL in the top 101 to me. But I think we walk out of the draft with at least 2 OL drafted.

Are you expecting a 3rd round OT to be our swing OT? The alternative seems to be Croston or a 6-7 rounder.

And your replacement for Thuney next year is Karra? or Schwenke? or your6th rounder?

3rd rounder. Croston or 6-7 rounder as 4th OT.

I think we'll draft another OG next year as Thuney replacement unless we land a steal this year already.

You draft a OT and move Wynn to LG next year or you draft iOL and develop a ST.

Ivez and Prince are good prospects.

We have 7 premium picks

We really need starters: WR(2)/TE(1)/ED(1)/DT(1)/OT(1)

BPA: S/LB/CB

QB: Tom Brady**
QB2: Bryan Hoyer**
QB3:
WR1: Julian Edelman**
WR2:
WR3: Phillip Dorsett**
RB: Sony Michel / James White / Rex Burkhead
TE1:
LT: Isaiah Wynn
LG: Joe Thuney**
C: David Andrews
RG: Shaq Mason
RT: Marcus Cannon
TE2: Matt LaCosse /ASJ**
FB: James Develin
ST:
IOL:

** = Free Agent next year
If they sign Yeldon they are set at RB

I personally think tackle is the greater need, but Chris Lindstrom from BC is gonna be one hell of a guard.

I believe that we need 2 OL's with potential of starting this year or next. One is a swing OT, capable of playing for an extensive period of games whenever one of our OT's is out. Another is an OG capable of starting in 2020, or at worst being a Game Day backup.
It’s certainly possible that Karras could step in for either Thuney (free agency) or Andrews (injury). Also, Croston has experience both inside and out.

I’m not seeing IOL as much of a need, myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes