PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kansas City is a real threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every team that makes the playoffs is a threat, you concede the first score then turn the ball over and go down 14-0 and it's a very difficult scenario to comeback from unless you have the GOAT playing QB for you or you're playing the Kansas City Chiefs with Wally Walrus burning time outs like crazy on the sidelines.

Here's the thing about KC. They have a good defense and an offense that plays not to lose. Alex Smith was not that mediocre in SF or in his first 2 years with KC. He's been limited by Andy Reid and his gameplan that's the impression I get. When he needed to sling to win the game against Denver he delivered. I'm not saying he is great, I believe he regressed with this conservative offense KC runs but he does have an arm and many years as a starter in this league without stinking it up badly, that's more than the average QB in these days. So of course they present a threat and it's not like we haven't had bad playoff games and this Patriots team coming off a bye is something that concerns me a little bit but if this game is in Gillette Stadium there is like a 90% chance the Patriots win.

Andy Reid + playoffs + clock management = same old Andy Reid coached team.
Reid needs his offense to lead by at least 7-10 points heading into the 4th quarter. That way he can call time outs after running the victory formation and still find a way to win.

Didn't they lose at home to Tampa Bay?

Also their defense is ****

28th in yards allowed
23rd in passing yards allowed
27th in rushing yards allowed

Their 3rd down defense is f**king atrocious allowing 47.3%, #30 in the league.

That defense relies on turnovers which ya they are good at but the Pats are best in the league this year at not turning it over. I believe 4-5 of their wins were because a turnover they got led to the points that were the difference in the game. So what happens when the Chiefs can't get a turnover?

Lets see.

The 2016 KC defense is ranked 13th. 11th vs the pass and 17th vs the run. FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2016 DEFENSE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

The 2001 NE defense was ranked 13th. 11th vs the pass and 28th vs the run.FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2001 DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

Who cares about yards? That stat has been debunked as meaningless in the grand scheme of defenses. NE has repeatably given up high yardage particularly in the passing defense.

KC defense is 3rd in redzone points allowed, 5th in redzone TDs per drive. 5th in overall points allowed.

Turnovers? The 2003 NE defense had very similar numbers to this KC defense and went on to win the Super Bowl. You make your own luck with a hard hit or being in the right place at the right time. Sometimes the ball just bounces that way for a team.

Every team that makes the playoffs is a threat, you concede the first score then turn the ball over and go down 14-0 and it's a very difficult scenario to comeback from unless you have the GOAT playing QB for you or you're playing the Kansas City Chiefs with Wally Walrus burning time outs like crazy on the sidelines.

Here's the thing about KC. They have a good defense and an offense that plays not to lose. Alex Smith was not that mediocre in SF or in his first 2 years with KC. He's been limited by Andy Reid and his gameplan that's the impression I get. When he needed to sling to win the game against Denver he delivered. I'm not saying he is great, I believe he regressed with this conservative offense KC runs but he does have an arm and many years as a starter in this league without stinking it up badly, that's more than the average QB in these days. So of course they present a threat and it's not like we haven't had bad playoff games and this Patriots team coming off a bye is something that concerns me a little bit but if this game is in Gillette Stadium there is like a 90% chance the Patriots win.

KC is flying under the radar like the 2001 Pats.

The Pats have gone down in NE before in the post season 3 times to the same defense that KC runs. Twice to the Ravens and once to the Jets. Bob Sutton is KCs DC who used to work for Rex.

Oh, ya and another post season game in NE, it took a Lee Evans TD drop and a missed Ravens FG for the Pats to win vs the same defense.

Its not really a very good defense. They have a bunch of takeaways but aside from 8 in one game against the Jets, not really that many. With Houston back maybe they will improve, but they haven't so far. They are 9-3 so they are making plays when it matters.

Kansas City is legit. I really enjoy watching their special teams unit. Their special teams coach, Dave Toub, used to coach the same unit with the Chicago Bears, back when they had Devin Hester setting records. Bears fans/media talking heads out here still gripe about cutting the guy loose.

All the top 3 teams in that division will be tough. AFC will have good playoffs this year. No Indy's making it to the conference final this time :p

Whenever I see this line of reasoning, and note 3 teams at 2-1 or better W/L ratios in a division, and another team one play below .500, the first thing I do is see who they've played.

They're all about to beat up each other in the last 4 weeks, but to date, we're talking:

ALL THREE have played: Houston, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Carolina and have, or will, face Tennessee and Indy.

Do you think they'd all be sporting such records if you substitute the AFC East or North for the South, or any other NFC division other than the South (they all caught Tampa early, too).

And it's not just who you play, but when you play them. The Raiders got the Ravens early adn the Bills late, both favorable, for example.

Any given Sunday is for real, but the only game in the AFC where I shake my head nad expect to lose would be Denver IN Denver.

KC in KC would be second to that. Fortunately, I don't think either will happen.

New England needs to win 3 of the last 4, maybe win out, and stay right here for the playoffs.

Its not really a very good defense. They have a bunch of takeaways but aside from 8 in one game against the Jets, not really that many. With Houston back maybe they will improve, but they haven't so far. They are 9-3 so they are making plays when it matters.

I agree. They give up a ton of yards and points. They can't get off the field on 3rd down. They might be slightly better than their stats indicate, but I don't see where the fear of this defense come from.

Whenever I see this line of reasoning, and note 3 teams at 2-1 or better W/L ratios in a division, and another team one play below .500, the first thing I do is see who they've played.

They're all about to beat up each other in the last 4 weeks, but to date, we're talking:

ALL THREE have played: Houston, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Carolina and have, or will, face Tennessee and Indy.

Do you think they'd all be sporting such records if you substitute the AFC East or North for the South, or any other NFC division other than the South (they all caught Tampa early, too).

And it's not just who you play, but when you play them. The Raiders got the Ravens early adn the Bills late, both favorable, for example.

Any given Sunday is for real, but the only game in the AFC where I shake my head nad expect to lose would be Denver IN Denver.

KC in KC would be second to that. Fortunately, I don't think either will happen.

New England needs to win 3 of the last 4, maybe win out, and stay right here for the playoffs.

And who is the impressive team the Pats have beaten? There just are not many good teams this year. The Pats got Pitt without Big Ben so they have been lucky too.

No one has really played anyone. At least Den, KC and Oak have already had 1 round robin which gave them a combined 3 more losses then they might have otherwise.

The only sad thing is it seems unfair one of Balt or Pitt or Den might need to stay home to let in an AFCS tomato can. Oh well. Will be a hell of a final 4.

OT: about the KC home field noise .funny episode

I am no expert on Kansas City only seen them play a couple times. Its certainly not their offense thats winning games for them. KC has playmakers on defense. And they play in the toughest division in the NFL.

KC is a good team, they are getting better, they even beat the Broncos, so we shouldn't **** talk about them and consider an easy win against them. We need to look at them as a team that can beat us. Look our defense, we make average looking quarterbacks look like pro bowlers...
Just saying, don't sleep on this team or any other team that gets in the playoffs.

I am no expert on Kansas City only seen them play a couple times. Its certainly not their offense thats winning games for them. KC has playmakers on defense. And they play in the toughest division in the NFL.
Well this should be interesting then since you are telling us how bad the patriot defense is. What has the Kc defense been doing to win games?

like seattle or Denver, at hom they are dangerous because of the crowd noise. we saw what happened in the superbowl year. if they have to play in Foxboro, if we limit turnovers and special teams breakdowns their offense is too limited to win IMO

They are a threat at home for sure, but on the road? Not so much. That's why we need HFA. Hope we get it!

When I think of the Chiefs, I never think of them as real contenders, but when I just looked at their schedule and saw wins at the Raiders at Denver and at Atlanta, I have to admit I was pretty impressed. I know they have a lot of talent on their defense as well( Poe, Houston, Ford, Hali, , Peters, Berry, Johnson).

There last 4 games will be telling:

Raiders
Titans
Broncos
@ Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes