PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

K Rian Lindell - should Pats sign him to compete with Gostkowski?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-T

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Long time Bills kicker has just been released, 81% career accuracy is there any chance he's brought in to challenge Gostkowski for the final few weeks of pre-season? His career long is 56 yards.

Even if he weren't to make the roster, bringing him in would be a wise move imo because it might give Gostkowski the kick up the backside he needs to step up his game a bit more.

Gostkowski is at 84% career and 28 yrs. Is this a joke or something?

Gostkowski is at 84% career and 28 yrs. Is this a joke or something?

Bringing in competition rarely hurts. Even if he gets cut at the end of pre-season he will have done a job.

Lindell has also played a lot longer (6 years) for a worse team which will likely hurt his career accuracy number.

FWIW, I like Gostkowski but he needs some competition.

If you're going to look at replacing Gostkowski, it's going to be a college player at a fraction of the cost.

Ghost simply isn't good from long distance. Watching AV nail that 50 yarder for the colts last night makes me wish he were still here.

Ghost simply isn't good from long distance. Watching AV nail that 50 yarder for the colts last night makes me wish he were still here.

Gostkowski is 70% from both 50+ and 40+ vs 50% and 69% for Vinatieri and he has the benefit of playing half of his games in a dome now.

Vinatieri was 26 for 33 last year (78.8%) playing in a dome for 8 games. Gostkowski was 29 for 35 (82.9%). Gostkowski was 2 for 2 last year over 50 yards BTW.

And let's not forget that Vinatieri doesn't do kick offs anymore and hasn't for four years. So to have Vinatieri means you have to carry two kickers.

Comparing Goskowski's and Vinatieri's field goal percentages the last few years, Gostkowski has arguably been the better kicker and he still does kick offs. Whether or not they should replace Gostkowski is a valid debate. Replacing him with Vinatieri at this point would be a downgrade.

Long time Bills kicker has just been released, 81% career accuracy is there any chance he's brought in to challenge Gostkowski for the final few weeks of pre-season? His career long is 56 yards.

Even if he weren't to make the roster, bringing him in would be a wise move imo because it might give Gostkowski the kick up the backside he needs to step up his game a bit more.

Lindell made all of 20 FG's last year, 13 of which were 39 yards or less, 7-9 over 40 yards, Gost was 11-15 from 40+, making both kicks over 50 while Lindell was 1-2 over 50.

The kicker who doesn't miss kicks doesn't exist.

I was getting a little down on Ghost until BB explained that they have been using different combos of holders and snappers. I guess its good to work on depth and real game situations now.

Lindell has a notoriously weak leg. People on here are complaining a lot about Ghosts kicks from long distance, so I don't see what would be the benefit of bringing him in.
Less accuracy, weaker leg, plus the aspect of kickoffs and returns shouldn't be dismissed.

love how now we bring up career numbers like BB doesn't make decisions based on who will help the team the most THIS year and into the future.

Ok, good..other people told you how stupid this post was....I dont have to.

love how now we bring up career numbers like BB doesn't make decisions based on who will help the team the most THIS year and into the future.

So...Who will help us more this year?

Gostkowski is 70% from both 50+ and 40+ vs 50% and 69% for Vinatieri and he has the benefit of playing half of his games in a dome now.

Oh sure, bring facts into the argument.

So...Who will help us more this year?

who knows?! Career numbers aren't really the way to go when deciding that though. Ghost has been in the league for 6 years now, I'd look solely at the last 2 years when evaluating him for the future. He was a middle of the pack kicker last year and so far this pre-season he's left a lot to be desired. I personally don't have too much confidence in him with the game on the line and the kick being over 35 yards. At the same time, I don't know if Lindell is the answer but why not bring him in for competition?

I'll take the PK with the higher FG % rate.

Geez, I hope so. Still scratching my head as to why BB brought in a punter to challenge Mesko, who has way outkicked the other kid, yet Ghost, who every time he lines up has me crossing every finger and toe, has no competition? Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Oh sure, bring facts into the argument.

Maybe it is more perception vs. reality, but why does it feel like Adventures in Kicking every time Ghost lines up? He has clunkers at the most inopportune times. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Could not agree more

QUOTE=PatsDeb;3520619]Geez, I hope so. Still scratching my head as to why BB brought in a punter to challenge Mesko, who has way outkicked the other kid, yet Ghost, who every time he lines up has me crossing every finger and toe, has no competition? Things that make you go hmmmmm.....[/QUOTE]

I didn't know he was released. I'd be interested to find out why.

Either way I'm 100% in favor of bringing him in to push Gostkowski. Ghost needs to step up his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft