PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just passing through...

Foxborough is like ... well think of going to a game at Wembley and staying in Neasden. Boston, on the other hand, is great fun.

But the train is pretty incredible. It's slower and clunkier than you'd have thought possible. Still, the last time I did it (last season) things had got better, at least on the organizational side. You could buy tickets online in advance and download them to your phone wallet. And, slow though it was, I didn't miss kick-off.

So my advice is, unless you're desperate to tailgate or walk around the Patriots Hall of Fame (my guess is the answer is "no" about the latter from what you say -- it would be a useful re-education, but there we are) bite the bullet and use the train. Have a couple of extra ****tails in town.

Now here is a VERY IMPORTANT piece of advice. Make sure you've read the restrictions on what can be brought into the stadium and HAVE NOTHING ELSE WITH YOU. You can't leave backpacks and so on on the train.

Have fun!
Thanks Mike - that's a great analogy. I'm leaning that way as our flight home is on Tuesday evening so we'll have a whole day in Boston and I really don't want to be dragging luggage around if we can help it. Plus it's close to the airport. Hopefully a couple of bars will still be open on the way back to the hotel.

And slower and clunkier? I raise you Waterloo East to London Bridge! :D

Note that NOTHING will be open after the game is out at midnite. They roll up the sidewalks early in Mass. Providence is a different story but you won't be make it back in time to go out.

Lol. Imagine having to go to Providence for nightlife.

Not laughing at you.

We're staying in downtown and then will probably walk up to Bobby Dodd depending on the weather. Outside of that it will be taxis or Uber from/to the airport. Any tips about which to use/avoid?
You should be fine then because GT is stones throw West from I-85 South.

I cant really comment on Uber or Taxis because Ive never used them. I can tell you that North of down town Buckhead is great party area.

I don't know what you mean...

Car-caught-driving-wrong-way-on-American-Insterstate.jpg
You likely are already aware that you can acquire an International drivers license and legally drive in the USA.

You should be fine then because GT is stones throw West from I-85 South.

I cant really comment on Uber or Taxis because Ive never used them. I can tell you that North of down town Buckhead is great party area.
Thanks for confirming. It's an evening game so we'll have plenty of scope for before and after beers! Sounds like I need to do some digging about Buckhead.

Thanks for confirming. It's an evening game so we'll have plenty of scope for before and after beers! Sounds like I need to do some digging about Buckhead.
Buckhead, Roswell road in the 285 loop vicinity used to be happening, Little 5 points is more of a Hippie vibe. Athens, GA is approximately 1 hour away and it's a college town.

There is bound to be a Steelers fan club bar there.

And slower and clunkier? I raise you Waterloo East to London Bridge! :D

You haven't ridden any American trains before have you?

The regular commuter rail Franklin Line will drop you off right at Gillette - this is NOT the wicked slow Pats Train; this is the regular commuter train in and out of the city. This is per the T's own website. The last train that stops in Foxboro on the day in question leaves South Station at 2:45 and Back Bay at 2:50 and arrives at the Foxboro Commuter Rail station/Gillette Stadium at 3:39 pm. This would leave you plenty of time to grab a seat at any of the bars around the stadium or meet up with tailgaters you may know. Mind you, this is the schedule on the T's website TODAY for a day 6-7 weeks from now and it may change. If you can plan it I would do this 100% over the Pats train to the game and you can still take the Pats Train back to the city. Just make sure you get your Pats train ticket in advance - you'll have to pay a round trip fare, but at least this way you will get to Gillette with enough time to enjoy the atmosphere and you won't have to rush to get into the stadium. Hope this helps, but make sure you confirm T schedules, etc. Like I said, as of now you can grab that train out of the city at 2:45 on game day and it'll get you to Gillette in less than an hour.
Good Luck.

The regular commuter rail Franklin Line will drop you off right at Gillette - this is NOT the wicked slow Pats Train; this is the regular commuter train in and out of the city. This is per the T's own website. The last train that stops in Foxboro on the day in question leaves South Station at 2:45 and Back Bay at 2:50 and arrives at the Foxboro Commuter Rail station/Gillette Stadium at 3:39 pm. This would leave you plenty of time to grab a seat at any of the bars around the stadium or meet up with tailgaters you may know. Mind you, this is the schedule on the T's website TODAY for a day 6-7 weeks from now and it may change. If you can plan it I would do this 100% over the Pats train to the game and you can still take the Pats Train back to the city. Just make sure you get your Pats train ticket in advance - you'll have to pay a round trip fare, but at least this way you will get to Gillette with enough time to enjoy the atmosphere and you won't have to rush to get into the stadium. Hope this helps, but make sure you confirm T schedules, etc. Like I said, as of now you can grab that train out of the city at 2:45 on game day and it'll get you to Gillette in less than an hour.
Good Luck.
Thanks for that. Sadly Delta have changed our flights so that we're not getting into Boston until 4pm. I would have liked to have been earlier but that's all they have that doesn't route us all over the country or that doesn't leave 5 hours after the game ends in Miami!

Stay away from Florida massage parlors.

No matter how much the coupon is worth.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes