PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JuJu might be done in Pittsburgh!

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Sign the beast BB! He is an upgrade over anyone on the receiving core on this team! We got the money!

He's a big slot receiver and just duplicates what we have in Meyers. We either need a proper outside receiver or a fast gadget guy like Samuel, who can threaten short and deep. As long as we can get Henry or Smith at TE, I have my eyes on Davis, Agholor, Samuel, or Jones at receiver. Wouldn't rule out a trade for someone like OBJ either.

He's a big slot receiver and just duplicates what we have in Meyers. We either need a proper outside receiver or a fast gadget guy like Samuel, who can threaten short and deep. As long as we can get Henry or Smith at TE, I have my eyes on Davis, Agholor, Samuel, or Jones at receiver. Wouldn't rule out a trade for someone like OBJ either.
Emmanuel Sanders was just a slot guy in Pittsburgh until he left and went to Denver

I agree that you don’t want to get into a bidding war and give him a top 5 WR contract but at age 22 he did put up 111/1400/7 (youngest player ever to reach 2,500 career receiving yards) so it would be foolish not to pursue him, given the current state of their WR corps. His last game as a Steeler (most likely) he put up 13/156/1. The low yds/rec this year was an outlier and more reflective of the fact that his QB’s arm may be shot.

The Pats have seen plenty of him on film and in-person, so I would hope that they have a good handle on his game and whether his strengths would translate well to their offense. It wouldn’t shock me if he is their favorite WR this free-agent pool, at least on the field.

JuJu averaged 8.6 yards a reception last year. That's even worse than Harry..... We need explosive playmakers - we currently have the slowest offense in the league.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take him on a value deal but not for the price he's going to cost.

JuJu averaged 8.6 yards a reception last year. That's even worse than Harry..... We need explosive playmakers - we currently have the slowest offense in the league.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take him on a value deal but not for the price he's going to cost.

Why are you ignoring the rest of his career, including college? Last year was an outlier....Big Ben’s arm strength seemed to fall off a cliff and Juju played more in the slot than in the past. His first three years his yds/rec were 15.8, 12.8 and 13.1.

I would prefer Will Fuller or Curtis Samuel for his money, but I wouldn't write him off never becoming a number 1. He's very young and had poor QB play last year.

I guess having a deep threat is only worth it if you have a QB that can hit on those deep throws often enough for a D to respect it.

Why are you ignoring the rest of his career, including college? Last year was an outlier....Big Ben’s arm strength seemed to fall off a cliff and Juju played more in the slot than in the past. His first three years his yds/rec were 15.8, 12.8 and 13.1.

It's also when he was playing as WR2 with all pro Antonio Brown. Last two years as WR1 he had 139 receptions for 1383 yards at 9.94 yards per reception. Admittedly there was bad QB play, but what do you think he's gonna get here? He's not explosive - he ran a 4.54 at the combine, which is the same as N'keal Harry.

We need to get more explosive, not add more possession receivers. I really feel he isn't what we need and replicates what we already have. Very little interest personally, especially at $15m a year.

He's going to get a big contract and get cut in 2023.

You guys down on JuJu are missing it badly. His yards per reception went down last year because Pittsburgh changed their entire offense to compensate for (a) Roethlisberger's declining arm strength, and (b) the OL not protecting him well and them not wanting him to get hit. They threw the ball incredibly short distances on purpose, a million 3-5 yard hitters. That was all by design, and is not at all reflective of JuJu's ability.

JuJu
2019: 13.1 y/r
2020: 8.6 y/r

Washington
2019: 16.7 y/r
2020: 13.1 y/r

Johnson
2019: 11.5 y/r
2020: 10.5 y/r

McDonald
2019: 7.2 y/r
2020: 6.6 y/r

Everyone's yards per reception number went down (not just JuJu's) because of how Pittsburgh ran their offense in 2020. Roethlisberger's yards per attempt went from 7.4 in 2018-19 to 6.3 in 2020, and his yards per completion went from 11.3 in 2018-19 to 9.5 in 2020.

JuJu is a terrific, terrific player. Big, strong, fast, tough, with really good hands. He played the slot so I don't know how much he was matched up against the other team's #1 CB. He'd be a MASSIVE improvement over anything the Pats currently have at WR.

You guys down on JuJu are missing it badly. His yards per reception went down last year because Pittsburgh changed their entire offense to compensate for (a) Roethlisberger's declining arm strength, and (b) the OL not protecting him well and them not wanting him to get hit. They threw the ball incredibly short distances on purpose, a million 3-5 yard hitters. That was all by design, and is not at all reflective of JuJu's ability.

JuJu
2019: 13.1 y/r
2020: 8.6 y/r

Washington
2019: 16.7 y/r
2020: 13.1 y/r

Johnson
2019: 11.5 y/r
2020: 10.5 y/r

McDonald
2019: 7.2 y/r
2020: 6.6 y/r

Everyone's yards per reception number went down (not just JuJu's) because of how Pittsburgh ran their offense in 2020. Roethlisberger's yards per attempt went from 7.4 in 2018-19 to 6.3 in 2020, and his yards per completion went from 11.3 in 2018-19 to 9.5 in 2020.

JuJu is a terrific, terrific player. Big, strong, fast, tough, with really good hands. He played the slot so I don't know how much he was matched up against the other team's #1 CB. He'd be a MASSIVE improvement over anything the Pats currently have at WR.
It doesn't make him less of a knucklehead. I love the game, for all the reason you state. It's the between the ears chit and all the baggage he brings. More interested in being a social media presence. He's not mature enough to pull a Moss or a Dillon and get his head on straight, in my opinion. Let me see him after this next contract.

I don't think I'd offer him $80M/5yrs, but I'm not sure anybody else will either. He's the #4 WR in a rough free agency market, coming off a season that raised some new questions about his long term value. If he decides he wants a one year deal instead to rebuild his value and take advantage of the higher cap next year, then I could see the Patriots being involved.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back