Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Posted this in the Josh Gordon thread but it's over a hundred pages long so posting it here for visibility.

48 Targets in total. Starts with his last game and progresses to each previous game through to his first game back last season.

I've numbered each play. If you want to see the live game footage of any of the plays let me know by telling which numbered play it is.

My personal opinion is that this is not the JG of 2013 but is still very good. He did look a little sluggish, imo, during the last two games of the 2017 season but tough to tell given the field and weather conditions etc..

1. Still receives double coverage which tells me teams respect his abilities.
2. A lot of off target throws to him. Some are actually funny
3. A few times you'll see he had his coverage beat but because the ball was under thrown he had to come back to it.
4. I saw one drop that I would put on him. But he probably was shocked that he had an on target ball to catch. haha
5. This is not the second coming of Randy Moss imo but I'm very curious to see what he can do with Brady throwing to him.

Posted this in the Josh Gordon thread but it's over a hundred pages long so posting it here for visibility.

48 Targets in total. Starts with his last game and progresses to each previous game through to his first game back last season.

I've numbered each play. If you want to see the live game footage of any of the plays let me know by telling which numbered play it is.

My personal opinion is that this is not the JG of 2013 but is still very good. He did look a little sluggish, imo, during the last two games of the 2017 season but tough to tell given the field and weather conditions etc..

3. A few times you'll see he had his coverage beat but because the ball was under thrown he had to come back to it.
4. I saw one drop that I would put on him. But he probably was shocked that he had an on target ball to catch. haha
5. This is not the second coming of Randy Moss imo but I'm very curious to see what he can do with Brady throwing to him.

Play 9 shows how talented he is. That should’ve been a pick as the cb passed off his original man to sit in the zone where the ball was eventually thrown. I can’t even blame the qb for being fooled on that one, a lot of QBs would’ve thrown that ball expecting a wide open wr. But instead of the pick Gordon wins the battle and gets the completion on sheer talent.

They are actually funny; off just about 4 or 5 feet. I am glad he did not have the chance to play with Mayfield. Maybe one game is enough to price him out of our trade range.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I am not the most football educated or sharp eyed tape watcher. However, to my untrained eyes the thing that looked most promising was the way he fought for any ball anywhere near his zip code. I didn’t see any short arming throws. Do you sharper eyed people see the same thing?

I am not the most football educated or sharp eyed tape watcher. However, to my untrained eyes the thing that looked most promising was the way he fought for any ball anywhere near his zip code. I didn’t see any short arming throws. Do you sharper eyed people see the same thing?

He fought for extra yards as well.

I honestly think him screwing up with drugs is a bigger danger than anything performance related. I have no doubt that given some time he would be an amazing cog in McD's offense but can Gordon handle it psychologically ?
It's not in the "honestly think" category. His entire life is the proof. I don't think it's hyperbole to believe that if Josh can make it through to the last game of the season, this might be the Pats organization's most impressive feat of this century.

In the meantime, I'm trying hard not to salivate at what could be, but Tony's videos aren't helping.

Regards,
Chris

He is not afraid of the middle of the field. There were more slants and shallow crosses than I expected. When he doesn't have dive to to get his hands on a bad throw (LOL) he is terrific AFTER the catch.

@Tony2046 , this is amazing....I really appreciate your work pulling all of that together in one place.

And yeah...I see the same thing...bad QBing and agree that while it isn't the 2013 JG...the talent is still there and he should be able to make plays for us.

Thanks for putting that together. It’s clear that he still has the physical tools and can still get separation. Now he just needs to stay sober.

I just imagine Bill, Josh, O'Shea watching this and saying the same thing we are...

"Jesus all we need to do is keep him off the garbage...."

A huge THANK YOU to @Tony2046 for his awesome research. This is the type of stuff that NFL teams pay staffers to do, and it’s a great treat to get to see it on PatsFans. I’m sure this wasn’t easy to do at all.

I am going to watch the rest later, but Tyrod Taylor is who we thought he was. I saw a good headline yesterday, which was to stop high fiving Hugh Jackson for his one pathetic win on the shoulders of Mayfield and instead ask why in the heck wasn’t Mayfield starting sooner. It’s hard to imagine they wouldn’t be 3-0 considering the even matches against the Steelers and Saints despite being chained down on offense with a terrible QB who only succeeded in a run heavy scheme (and always stacked box) in Buffalo. The first few throws I saw from Taylor and Gordon were atrocious; the interception should have been a fairly easy touchdown on a deep sideline pass.

What the hell is Kizer doing. He can't throw that ball!:eek:

The stats were he only he 19 catchable balls thrown his way and he caught 18 of them. That’s out of 43 targets

One of the biggest wastes of talent in the past 30 years. Could be a perennial all pro, instead will likely be out of the league in a year. Sad

One of the biggest wastes of talent in the past 30 years. Could be a perennial all pro, instead will likely be out of the league in a year. Sad
No, he won't. Winning can have a serious impact on a person's mental state. Losing, on the other hand, cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News