PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Jonnu Smith signs with New England!

Nah, they'll just have to brush up their toes, if they're the right people for the job they'll raise their game in the presence of a professional like Smith.

For the record -- big yearss expected/needed from Harris and Michel. I think it can happen too, now that we've got an above average blocking TE. We were pretty productive on the ground last year even without one. Now that we've got that professional blocking TE I expect to see solid improvements in the run game, especially if we also stay healthy at fullback and Wynn can stay in the field

Looks like we're overpaying in desperation. But I don't mind it at this point.
You shouldn’t. We desperately needed a TE ready to play day 1 and we have the cap room.

I feel like adding additional vet TE in front of Asiasi and Keene would just be a progress blocker. It would only take reps and snaps away from players that you just drafted a year ago and that are in desperate need of just that after a crazy COVID-infused offseason and some injuries in their rookie year.

You may be right. I guess I am giving up on those guys too quickly.

I feel like adding additional vet TE in front of Asiasi and Keene would just be a progress blocker. It would only take reps and snaps away from players that you just drafted a year ago and that are in desperate need of just that after a crazy COVID-infused offseason and some injuries in their rookie year.

I agree if it's someone that requires another heavy investment, like Henry, Rudolph, or a trade for Ertz. That feels like too much when there are still other needs to fill. But another vet tight end in the Dwayne Allen mold? That would be fine, and would force the kids to earn their playing time. I don't know who out there is at that level and available, but someone who could still fill a #3 TE/blocking role even if he gets beat out by one of the kids would be a good addition.

But another vet tight end in the Dwayne Allen mold? That would be fine, and would force the kids to earn their playing time.

This would be nice and all if the amount of reps and targets you get during the various stages of the offseason and camp would be infinite. But "earn it" doesn't work for me when the amount of experience between a vet and the two young TEs is slanted so much into the favor of the vet.

Just due to human nature they need as many reps as possible to make mistakes and learn from them and -- of course -- reinforce the things they are already doing correct. At least that's how I see it..

I would expect the 2 TE sets with Asiasi as Y to return in spectacular fashion
Asiasi was open A LOT later in the year and either got a 99 MPH fastball above his head, behind him, or a change-up at his feet. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with the kid if we get someone who can throw the ball. Keene and Lacosse? Not so much.

Observations

1 Smith has never fumbled.
2 Dependable. He has missed 4 games in 4 seasons.
Jonnu Smith Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

3 He has real good hands. A catch rate of 67.5% works for me.
4 Not sure why BB was gloating about his playing H Back - 82 yards and 1 TD for his career.

4 BB just made him the 3rd highest paid TE in the NFL behind Kittle and Kelce,
Jonnu Smith Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Between the lines

A If youre big mouth Gronk, what are you thinking about now? BB just gave Smith more guaranteed money than Gronk got in his prime. Smith is set to make 31 million guaranteed. This has to chap the Buffalo Penny Pinchers *** since Gronk was always bellyaching about money.

B Tampa has to pay Gronk to keep up with the Johnu Smiths.

2020 Gronk 623 yards - 7 TDs
2020 Smith 448 yards - 8 TDs

Gronk "Gee Bruce, look how much he got" Is Gronk going to go cheap money after his stellar Super Bowl performance? I say absolutely not.

C Recall when Welker left and BB opened up the checkbook for Almendola like money was burning a hole in BBs pocket? Why does this feel the same way.

Asiasi was open A LOT later in the year and either got a 99 MPH fastball above his head, behind him, or a change-up at his feet. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with the kid if we get someone who can throw the ball. Keene and Lacosse? Not so much.

I have not formed any opinion on Keene yet that wouldn't be fair given the chaos last year. LaCosse is a goner.

Definitely agree about Asiasi.. now with Jonnu they can take it slower with him in terms of responsibilities.

For those that know..... obviously he’s not Gronk. But how does Smith compare with someone like Marty Bennett, who was very successful here? Sounds like he’s a better blocker but more raw as a receiver? How does he compare to, say, Daniel Graham with better hands?

Does this make up for the two stiffs in the 2020 draft? Probably not.

Smith is obviously coming from a run-heavy offense but he's heading right back into one with a much worse quarterback. Over the course of his short career Smith is averaging 21.7 yards per game. Last season being his most productive he averaged merely 29.9 yards per game. He's appeared in 6 postseason games where he's averaging a paltry 14.5 yards per game. He's not a top tier TE and he certainly won't look like one after at least one year with Cam. He's not even the best TE in the division (that would be Mike Gesicki). Seems like an overpay for a guy who's going to have less than 50 receptions and 500 yards in the Cam-offense. He won't reach 8 TD's either, which matched Cam's output for the entire 2020 season.

Otherwise, not surprisingly, Belichick's playing favorites with the defense as he tries to plug all of the gaping holes on that side of the ball. This how Belichick's going to approach it... try to build a competitive team around half-assed quarterback play. Interesting approach, or idiotic, either way it's not going to work (i.e. the ceiling is 10-6 with a divisional round exit).

The OL depth is something to keep an eye on too. With Thuney in KC now. Perhaps they should have held onto Cannon to preserve flexibility with Wynn.
Stiffs!! Historically TEs don't mature into the position till there second contract.. your real lucky if you get one ready to go out the packet.. We were spoiled with Gronk and whats his face...

Wad I tell ya.

161327571_10165077387645637_6718366799080078432_o.jpg

Good pickup but still want to go for Pitts in the draft, this probably means we won't :(

Happy with this move, such an upgrade over the last couple of years !!! Lol, that must be the understatement of the year!

Right now he's paid more in fully guaranteed money then George Kittle and Travis Kelce and just a notch below them in average per year being the 3rd highest paid TE.

I don't like how much he got paid, but I said Bill will be able to get who he wants if he shows them the money. Skill players rarely care about winning, QB, yada yada yada. Just show them the money.
For that kind of money, wouldn't it have been better to get Hunter Henry Henry instead?

For that kind of money, wouldn't it have been better to get Hunter Henry Henry instead?
Either way, I'm not excited about either TE. However, it's surely better then the crap they currently have.

Henry does seem to be less durable. But he's had over 600 yards each eason generally

Smiths 400 yards isn't overwhelming. But maybe with more usage will be better. Also had 8 tds which is pretty solid

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back