PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jones, Dawson and Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason McCourty is owed $5 mill guaranteed as far as I know. I doubt he’s going anywhere.

I don't think Jones is as good as everyone around here thinks. Solid player but if some team makes him the highest paid slot, they are making a monumental mistake.

I would still keep them all. We can carry 6 CBs and injuries are likely to happen. We got lucky there last year, I don't expect the same this year unfortunately.

Plus we will still get a comp pick for Jones in 2021.

Count me in the Jon Jones camp as well. Fast, coachable, and improving every year. Excellent ST player and has looked good defensively in post season.

Besides, he's a Super Hero. ;)
20172F112F212Fba2F48b655ef5e0c4a968ffa24b950bc4675.e97d0.jpg

I don't think Jones is as good as everyone around here thinks. Solid player but if some team makes him the highest paid slot, they are making a monumental mistake.

I would still keep them all. We can carry 6 CBs and injuries are likely to happen. We got lucky there last year, I don't expect the same this year unfortunately.

Plus we will still get a comp pick for Jones in 2021.
I completely disagree. Jones is a great role player. He is versatile as he played safety against the Chargers in the playoffs and then was tasked with being half the bracket on Hill against the Chiefs. He plays special teams, is effective when asked to blitz, and can fly. I would imagine if he isn't traded this will be his last year on the team and someone will pay him big money next year. As far as I am concerned he is twice the corner Justin Coleman is and look what he got paid.

I completely disagree. Jones is a great role player. He is versatile as he played safety against the Chargers in the playoffs and then was tasked with being half the bracket on Hill against the Chiefs. He plays special teams, is effective when asked to blitz, and can fly. I would imagine if he isn't traded this will be his last year on the team and someone will pay him big money next year. As far as I am concerned he is twice the corner Justin Coleman is and look what he got paid.

He is solid at what he does but that's about it to me. NFL teams weren't willing to give up a 2nd round pick, that speaks volume to me.

I assumed he put Jackson on the list by mistake.

Hes not going anywhere.

You've got that right. At $1.12M for this season and next that's as safe a bet as we are likely to find on the defensive roster.

He is solid at what he does but that's about it to me. NFL teams weren't willing to give up a 2nd round pick, that speaks volume to me.

When was the last time someone got signed away for a 2nd?

Dawson got healthy but never made it on the field. The coaches went with Crossen over him.

Dawson got healthy but never made it on the field. The coaches went with Crossen over him.
Similar to Flowers in 2015. I'm sure glad we didn't give up on him.

Doesn't say anything. Cory Littleton who is a pro bowl LB got a 2nd round tender and no one was willing to give up a 2nd for him

We have seen it before with Bill with early picks. I wouldn’t be shocked if we traded him for 5-7 or just outright cut him at the end of camp.

Doesn't say anything. Cory Littleton who is a pro bowl LB got a 2nd round tender and no one was willing to give one up a 2nd for him

He is a pro Bowl ST not LB. Less valuable.

We have seen it before with Bill with early picks. I wouldn’t be shocked if we traded him for 5-7 or just outright cut him at the end of camp.

We never have seen it with top 2 rounders after 1 season. Sure, we also never drafted a WR in the 1st round, so never say never but at this point I would consider it extremely unlikely.

Similar to Flowers in 2015. I'm sure glad we didn't give up on him.
Dawson was the 56th pick while Flowers was the 101st. A healthy scratch for half the season isn't good when you're drafted in the second round.

Dawson was the 56th pick while Flowers was the 101st. A healthy scratch for half the season isn't good when you're drafted in the second round.

Comparing Flowers and Dawson is laughably disingenuous. Flowers looked like the best player on the field from the first preseason game he played, even against first teamers. It was noticeable to the degree that Malcolm Butler's legendary first preseason was.

Dawson was just plain invisible the few times he saw action, even against the bottom of other teams' 90 man rosters.

What does Flowers being the 101st pick have to do with it? Flowers was a steal and led the nation and SEC in pressures his senior season.

Dawson got injured in camp and wasn't needed on the game day roster with all DBs being healthy all year with the exception of Rowe (who was addition by subtraction).

I wonder if Johnathon Jones could be traded, I don’t like to trade away good secondary depth, but 3 mill is a bit much if he ends up at the bottom of the depth chart.

Let's not indict Dawson yet though BB have an abysmal record with Second Round CB's Cyrus Jones recently. Hopefully Dawson breaks the Second round trend also the new guy JJ or whatever his name is.

What does Flowers being the 101st pick have to do with it? Flowers was a steal and led the nation and SEC in pressures his senior season.

Dawson got injured in camp and wasn't needed on the game day roster with all DBs being healthy all year with the exception of Rowe (who was addition by subtraction).
You compared Flowers not playing in his rookie year to Dawson not playing in his rookie year. A second round pick is generally expected to be a contributor out of the gate and at worst compete for playing time. A fourth round pick is a developmental guy depth guy early on. Flowers was drafted into a D-line group that included two first round picks in Malcolm Brown, and Dominique Easley. Then established quality starters in Nink and Chandler Jones, and then a rotational veteran like Sheard. Dawson came into camp with what in theory should have been the upper hand over a couple UFA's and then J McCourty who at the time was no roster lock.

Let's not indict Dawson yet though BB have an abysmal record with Second Round CB's Cyrus Jones recently. Hopefully Dawson breaks the Second round trend also the new guy JJ or whatever his name is.
I would love for last season to be a redshirt year and to see Dawson show something. Although Joejuan Williams is seemingly a different type of corner it is still another body at the same position that Dawson will have to compete for a roster spot at.

You compared Flowers not playing in his rookie year to Dawson not playing in his rookie year. A second round pick is generally expected to be a contributor out of the gate and at worst compete for playing time. A fourth round pick is a developmental guy depth guy early on. Flowers was drafted into a D-line group that included two first round picks in Malcolm Brown, and Dominique Easley. Then established quality starters in Nink and Chandler Jones, and then a rotational veteran like Sheard. Dawson came into camp with what in theory should have been the upper hand over a couple UFA's and then J McCourty who at the time was no roster lock.

You raise some valid thoughts.

Flowers was super underrated to me in the draft process and I was jumping for joy when we got him in the 4th round because I thought he should have gone top 40/50.

I'm happy we did not have to use Dawson when he got activated in mid November to seasons end because our cornerbacks exceeded expectations and remained healthy, a major key to our SB win.

But I am optimistic that Dawson will help us win games in 2019.

If others think differently, I respect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back