PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Jonathan Jones Stays

He would have gotten more elsewhere, but it’s great news he wanted to stay here.

And while you were obviously joking I think Mayo was promised the coaching job, and Belichick will only go two more years. And I would love to see a number of their dynasty players stick around to become coaches and coordinators under him. Players who overachieve because of their work ethic and football knowledge, like Jones, Edelman, Hoyer, White etc….. could help them continue a winning culture and work ethic that pays big dividends for them,
I was also referencing back to McDaniels, but ya, we are definitely in agreement. Jon Jones is exactly the type of PERSON we want to keep in New England. While I am on the "sign Meyers" train, Jones was the one I thought was top priority.

Speaking of which, Meyers is exactly the work ethic, overachiever type player you're referencing. I'm a believer that he will elevate his game with a big contract as opposed to becoming complacent.

Interesting idea... move jones to free safety? could that be a loss for the cb's? Unless jack jones is able to step it up in year two...
We carry 6 corners in this pass-happy league.

STARTING THREE
Mills, Jack Jones, Marcus Jones make 3. This is presuming that Jack Jones steps up as an outside CB, and Malcolm start at nickel where he has shown nothing so far.
============================
BACKUPS
Wade, draftee, draftee
=======================
Personally, I think that this pretty bad, and the weakest unit on the team other than OT (until we draft one of the top 3 OTs)

2/20m with 13m guaranteed. It's a solid deal and a nice reward for Jones to stay with the Patriots.
A nice reward? He could have gotten much more elsewhere. He very much wanted to stay, and told that to everyone. Thank you to Jones for being one of the few players who greatly prefer the patriots. I believe that Peppers is in the same situation.

A nice reward? He could have gotten much more elsewhere. He very much wanted to stay, and told that to everyone. Thank you to Jones for being one of the few players who greatly prefer the patriots. I believe that Peppers is in the same situation.
13m/20m guaranteed. That's 65% guaranteed money. I believe that was an enticing part of the financial package for Jones to stay with the Patriots.

Considering that he came into the league as a UDFA, that's a nice bump in pay and security for him. I am not aware of any other free agency offers that he received that were significantly richer, but if you do know, feel free to share.

I'm sure for Jones the other attraction of a 2 year deal, is that it allows him to go back into free agency again relatively quickly to get an even bigger pay bump if he plays well with the Patriots over those 2 years.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back