PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Ross on the Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

HailHydra

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score

Wouldn't be surprised in the least if we make a move. Could end up being the speed guy role that Dorsett filled this year, but hopefully with more potential.

Feels like a bust. But I’d still fire out a 7th rounder to see if there’s anything there.

One positive is his ability to find the end zone (7 tds). His catch percentage is horrid (36%).

Does he do special teams? If he does I could see BB expressing some interest. A super fast guy who's flexible enough to play Special Teams roles is someone BB can usually find a use fot.

One cool thing about him, if he became a Pat... for me anyway...

My oldest son's first and middle names are John Ross. :) And my FIRST name is Ross. I might have to buy that jersey!

If John Ross were a free agent, would a team offer him $4.8 million guaranteed over the next two years? That seems like a ton of money for a guy who may not make the week 1 roster, but that’s the contract that a team trading for him would inherit.

If John Ross were a free agent, would a team offer him $4.8 million guaranteed over the next two years? That seems like a ton of money for a guy who may not make the week 1 roster, but that’s the contract that a team trading for him would inherit.

Will dorsett command that much in FA? Because that’s whos role Ross would be taking.

Will dorsett command that much in FA? Because that’s whos role Ross would be taking.

I expect Dorsett's APY floor is roughly 2.5M with a ceiling of 4M.

I expect Dorsett's APY floor is roughly 2.5M with a ceiling of 4M.

Fair enough, and there’s no guarantees he wants to assume this role he’s had since joining us. He could be looking for more playing time. Ross would be under team control for 2 seasons at a decent price. I’m actually warming to this idea if dorsett prices himself out.

In the very least he could probably replace Patterson's production at WR. He also had 4-5 KO's for TD's in college....2 years younger, faster and possibly cheaper.

Production at wr, possibly. Production as a returnman, doubtful. Patterson’s one of the best in the league. But if he leaves, hopefully a call is made Andre Roberts way.

I’d say let’s keep Dorssett. He is what he is, but he (1) works hard (2) doesn’t give up (3) seems like a team guy. Not everyone can sit & the produce when asked after the replacement is gone.

I like him. Unless Ross’ $ is down to almost nothing, we are better off keeping the known commodity. (Also, thank you Hogan for the effort & production, but we are moving on)

Production at wr, possibly. Production as a returnman, doubtful. Patterson’s one of the best in the league. But if he leaves, hopefully a call is made Andre Roberts way.

Agreed...Patterson is one of the best at KR

Fair enough, and there’s no guarantees he wants to assume this role he’s had since joining us. He could be looking for more playing time. Ross would be under team control for 2 seasons at a decent price. I’m actually warming to this idea if dorsett prices himself out.

They're obviously different people who will respond differently in a given situation but I can't imagine people would be any less happy about acquiring Ross than they were when we got Dorsett. I don't know if anyone was too excited about that move.

I think the key difference would be the guarantees. We know Ross' contract would be fully guaranteed, but Dorsett might be a better financial choice even at a higher APY if he asks for less guaranteed.

@Sciz just stated Ross is due 4.8 Patterson will not get more than that so I'd rather Patterson.

I believe the 4.8 is a total over the next 2 years...

7e24a9646a83999873d0ef927ddad791.png

Last edited:
I'd offer a conditional 7, with the condition that the Pats can trade him back to the Bengals and get a 7 back in 2020 to the trade deadline. :)

I'd rather take my chances on a guy that only had 1 year to prove himself so far and got a ton of uncatchable balls thrown at him than make a meh signing like Dorsett. We have seen what Dorsett is. Ross has disappointed so far but playing with Andy Dalton / Jeff Driskel for 1 year isn't really a great indicator to me.

OWR1/OWR2
Edelman
Isabella
Dorsett
Ross

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Dorsett sucks never lived up to his First Round billing and Ross is about the same. One trick pony's are easily covered CB's jump their routes every-time. I prefer others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back