PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton of ESPN: Branch deal will get done

Status
Not open for further replies.
PonyExpress said:
I disagree with your logic. Management doesn't have to hit a home run in every negotiation with its employees to be successful. A middle ground can be found.

I agree with this. If the Pats are able to strike a deal that is below the reported amount set by Branch and his agent then I think that would be good. It is not holdouts that are detrimental to the team as much as players with unreasonable contract expectations. If Branch got a contract that is less than the number he wanted in the beginning then it really wouldn't be sending the message that hold-outs will get a player what he wants because Branch wouldn't end up getting what he wanted.

However another part of me does agree with the idea that a team shouldn't concede a single penny to a hold-out player. I guess it is up to the team to do what they view is most beneficial because they're judgement is certainly better than mine.

Last edited:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but John Clayton is a blithering fool. I would be willing to wager a large amount of money that he has no more inside info than any of us; that all he is basing his comments on is Branch's recent interview.

I am not saying that Branch will or won't sign, but Clayton having some hard information either way is difficult for me to believe.

Oswlek said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but John Clayton is a blithering fool. I would be willing to wager a large amount of money that he has no more inside info than any of us; that all he is basing his comments on is Branch's recent interview.

I am not saying that Branch will or won't sign, but Clayton having some hard information either way is difficult for me to believe.

While I agree Clayton is a moron, this is mostly when he is trying to be an analyst. I'm not saying he has some inside info because I have no idea, but I will say that when he simply reporting news and rumors from around the league his information is half decent. It is when he tries to give his opinion that he falls flat on his face.

Ok. Two agree with me and 2 disagree with me.

But, I agreed with T-shirt and so did PC87. But just because I agreed with them doesn't mean that they agree with me.

I'm really confused now.

cloud34 said:
Paul Perillo(he's on EEI) thinks quite differently. He says he has heard from a very reliable source that Branch came back with a counter offer that averages 4 million PER YEAR higher than what the Pats offered. Doesn't seem like any deal is even remotely close to me. Also the reason the Pats have been holding back Jackson, to make sure he's healthy to start the season. I'm not sure where Clayton got his information, or if he's just going on a hunch, but everything I hear and read points to a long and ugly situation.

I think I trust the PFW guy a bit more.

Well, now we know the pipe dream offer. But hey, at least they are sending notes back and forth.

Will the Patriots negotioate with the counter offer or continue to wiat for him to come to work? This could get ugly.

Unless Perillo made a quick cameo, he isn't on WEEI. Butch Stearns is. Was it Perillo who said that, or Stearns?

PATSNUTme said:
Ok. Two agree with me and 2 disagree with me.

But, I agreed with T-shirt and so did PC87. But just because I agreed with them doesn't mean that they agree with me.

I'm really confused now.
"The following statement is true: the preceding statement was false."

- George Carlin

:D

cloud34 said:
Paul Perillo(he's on EEI) thinks quite differently. He says he has heard from a very reliable source that Branch came back with a counter offer that averages 4 million PER YEAR higher than what the Pats offered. Doesn't seem like any deal is even remotely close to me. Also the reason the Pats have been holding back Jackson, to make sure he's healthy to start the season. I'm not sure where Clayton got his information, or if he's just going on a hunch, but everything I hear and read points to a long and ugly situation.

Ugghh.

So he isn't looking for Reggie Wayne money, he is looking for Tom Brady money.

I tend to believe the local guy more.

Oh well. There was a brief moment of hope squashed. But it was better to have that moment then not!

When Deion and Chad Jackson return, the Pats will be scoring so many points it will force opposing offenses to pass the majority of the game. It will hide the lack of depth of the LB's and allow the front seven to tee off on opposing quarterbacks.

Missed all this before...Not a big Clayton fan...HOPE he is correct though, of course...I want Branch to play..I have been wanting that..but??? It's Branch and his agent that are unreasonable..so UNLESS they become so..it will NOT happen. I would tend to go with Perillo...but hope he is wrong. When Branch says it will get done..I have to wonder IF he is sending a signal that he is ready to report. yes??? No??? Too much wishful thinking...I think. Thinking that reasonableness will prevail in a situation that one side is far away from that.

Since when did we start believing John Clayton, better yet, when did we start paying him any attention. I'm selling.

zippo59 said:
I agree with this. If the Pats are able to strike a deal that is below the reported amount set by Branch and Deion then I think that would be good.

The reported amount set by Branch and Deion ...
is more than twice what any reasonable Doppelganger would set. :)

flutie2phelan said:
The reported amount set by Branch and Deion ...
is more than twice what any reasonable Doppelganger would set. :)

Yeah, weird typo. I can't even remember what I meant to say but I'll try and fix it.

On this one, I trust Paul Perillo more than John Clayton.

john clayton .*sigh. he is the guy who thinks manning is going to have a better season because of the balls away teams can carry with them for their road games...i his is quite an idiot mostly IMHO

Is his "scoop" anything other than what a poll of all of us already said? :eek:

dont get me wrong, i want branch back, but jesus, i could've said the same thing Clayton did and you could consider me and "expert."

it's just a guess, Clayton has no effing clue.

Either Branch take the original offer by the New England Patriots or ship him out to the Dallas Cowboys for a second round draft pick (or whatever the perceived market value is).

Don't know if Perillo was on EEI today - he has more access than most, if it was Butch Sterns he truly is a moron.

As for Clayton, HE KNOWS NOTHING. He was on with Felger this afternoon and Mike asked him point blank about his report and did he have some new info or was it just his feeling. As I figured it was just his feeling about how "these things" work. Says deadlines are there for a reason, things never get done 'til they have to, Branch isn't going to want to miss any game checks with all the fines he owes, :blahblah: :blahblah:

Felger also asked him if this FO was perceived as hard assed and he said "they are now". Although he said obviously we won 3 Superbowls by carefully managing our cap, but now WE ARE LOSING PLAYERS. :eek:

Said we are currently 3rd in total cap remaining ($12.2M) behind the Jags and I think Vikings?? Also mentioned that the Lelie situation will bear watching as they attempt to not only collect his fines but recoup a portion of his signing bonus. Says it will go to arbitration and likely not be decided until after the season. If they win on the bonus it will send a strong message.

I had to exit the car at that point but I doubt I missed any real news...

Last edited by a moderator:
cloud34 said:
that Branch came back with a counter offer that averages 4 million PER YEAR higher than what the Pats offered.

This is not even remotely plausible as a rumor. He'd be asking for over $10m per year, more than Brady. Branch would be asking to be one of the --- what ? --- 5 highest paid players in the NFL, when most agree he's not one of the 5 highest paid WRs! Even Branch's idiot agent isn't this dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore