PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JJ out for the season

Cheaping out on Gilmore was a bad move before, now disastrous. Trying to think of the last really porous Patriot secondary.
Any team previous from 2009-2013. That is why we needed Gilmore so bad. Almost impossible to compete in this league now without solid CB play.

Any team previous from 2009-2013. That is why we needed Gilmore so bad. Almost impossible to compete in this league now without solid CB play.

The Dean Pees era was terrible. CBs 10 yards off the line, could never stop 3rd down. And smurf CBs who were all terrible using the crappy Patriot draft method for CBs which needs to be blown up. Who is the next marquee CB1 we can sign or trade for because no faith they can draft a good one unless they're a 7th rounder or UDFA.

The Dean Pees era was terrible. CBs 10 yards off the line, could never stop 3rd down. And smurf CBs who were all terrible using the crappy Patriot draft method for CBs which needs to be blown up. Who is the next marquee CB1 we can sign or trade for because no faith they can draft a good one unless they're a 7th rounder or UDFA.
I don't know but I am not confident Bill is going to pay Jackson this off-season. We may be looking at a complete rebuild of the back end.

I don't know but I am not confident Bill is going to pay Jackson this off-season. We may be looking at a complete rebuild of the back end.

JC is above average, not sure if he's a CB1. Real glad this undrafted guy developed. But besides him the secondary has nobody now. SloJuan is going to get exposed.

Gilmore is gone, losing Jackson as well would be horrible roster management by Bill.

JC is above average, not sure if he's a CB1. Real glad this undrafted guy developed. But besides him the secondary has nobody now. SloJuan is going to get exposed.
Above average is a bit harsh, I see him as really good, not elite.

Cheaping out on Gilmore was a bad move before, now disastrous. Trying to think of the last really porous Patriot secondary.
I don't think it was about the money, but it was about his health. Have you noticed that he still hasn't suited up for the Panthers yet? I think the issue was that he wanted to be paid BEOFRE he proved he was ready to get on the field and the Pats (rightfully so) wanted him to prove he was healthy before they paid him more money. I think the seriousness of his injury was underplayed.

All that being said, I was NOT happy he got traded, and even less happy that it was for a mere 6th round pick NEXT year. I have my doubts that Gilmore will ever be the elite CB he was while he was here, but I think he can be a "good one" for the next year or three. I wish it could have been with the Pats. I will be interested to see if he gets on the playing field next week.

I’ve always liked JJ. Tough break for he & the team.
Yes, I have always liked him also.

I watched both JJ at Auburn and Cyrus Jones (CJ) at Alabama. JJ actually had a more acclaimed career in college (at least as a junior) but he went undrafted (and joined the Pats as a FA) because despite being one of the fastest CBs in the draft he was considered too small at about 180 lbs, injury prone in college especially as a senior, and not the world's greatest tackler.

In contrast, CJ (drafted by the Pats in the second round) was much bigger at about 200 and was known for being a great and absolutely fearless punt returner, as well as, a tough as nails CB who never backed down from a challenge and was a tough tackler that routinely played bully-ball with WRs.

So what happen? JJ gets up to about 190, turns into an effective tackler, and becomes an outstanding slot CB.

And CJ (who I admit I liked coming out of Alabama) has numerous injuries, gets one of the worst cases of the the yips on punt returns that I've ever seen, and never becomes more than a marginal player.

I guess that is why the draft is really a crap shoot ;)

Last edited:
I don't think it was about the money, but it was about his health. Have you noticed that he still hasn't suited up for the Panthers yet? I think the issue was that he wanted to be paid BEOFRE he proved he was ready to get on the field and the Pats (rightfully so) wanted him to prove he was healthy before they paid him more money. I think the seriousness of his injury was underplayed.

All that being said, I was NOT happy he got traded, and even less happy that it was for a mere 6th round pick NEXT year. I have my doubts that Gilmore will ever be the elite CB he was while he was here, but I think he can be a "good one" for the next year or three. I wish it could have been with the Pats. I will be interested to see if he gets on the playing field next week.

I generally agree with this. I think he would be here if we threw $5m at him after week4, it would be $12m prorated to play the last 3/4 of games. The last 15 months of how the team has spent money or not spent money is very interesting, a lot to analyze at some point.

Gilmore is gone, losing Jackson as well would be horrible roster management by Bill.
Losing Gilmore and only getting a 6th for him was horrible roster management. I just can't see Bill paying Jackson top of the market. He is going to get huge offers in a league predicated on having a great corner. I hope I am wrong but past history tells me it is unlikely.

tough break, J Jones is really an underrated player....well, this is an obvious statement, but now cornerback is a "must address" position.

Losing Gilmore and only getting a 6th for him was horrible roster management. I just can't see Bill paying Jackson top of the market. He is going to get huge offers in a league predicated on having a great corner. I hope I am wrong but past history tells me it is unlikely.
Yeah i wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone, hope they’re able to extend him before the season is over. Dmac is prob playing his last season here, secondary could look a heck of a lot different come next year.

He’ll be back in week 8 for the Panthers...do we really need another 6th round pick?
He MIGHT be back. Needed the cap space

That sucks. Wish him all the best on the surgery and recovery.

I would say that they should call Denver and see what it would take to get Kyle Fuller (probably next to nothing), but it would be really dumb if they trade for Fuller and his salary when they had Gilmore with a similar salary.

Yeah i wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone, hope they’re able to extend him before the season is over. Dmac is prob playing his last season here, secondary could look a heck of a lot different come next year.
D-Mac went out with an abdomen issue. I have not hear anything on him. Wonder if it is serious.

D-Mac went out with an abdomen issue. I have not hear anything on him. Wonder if it is serious.
He was moving around and smiling on the sideline during the game, he didn’t look concerned during that brief moment.

He MIGHT be back. Needed the cap space

We also need a CB...the only reason he made the trade was so that Jamie Collins could be signed. I’d much rather have Gilmore than Jamie Collins at this point…

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back