PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Garoppolo: Did the Patriots dodge a bullet?

As a Chiefs fan, it pains me to say that we probably have at least two SB's instead of one had the Patriots kept Glass G over Brady.

The Patriots absolutely made the right decision in keeping Brady over him. They do not have 6 SB's if Brady was dealt in 2017. Looking back, it's crazy to think they even considered choosing Glass G over Brady.

When the Patriots won the toss in 2018, I knew our season was done. It was a foregone conclusion Brady would get it done in OT.

In the SB, there wasn't once I feared Glass G. Not even down by 10. I knew we would win if Shanahan kept throwing it. Why did he keep throwing it? No idea. Because the Niners win if they run. But thanks anyways Shanny.

Honestly he seems like a guy who isn't willing to play through pain. Calling him soft would be an understatement.
Brady would still be in the league. Whether in the AFC or NFC, he'd probably beat the Chiefs in the playoffs or Super Bowl anyway.

Jimmie G would be the perfect backup to Mac.
Sadly some GM will pay him too much, again.

Jimmy, add Nick Foles, with a couple of other guys.

Now you're talking a quarterback room.

The loser(s) of the Rodgers sweepstakes will set their eyes on JG

Nope this is him. Same dude that even though the training staff gave Belichick the all clear that he could go decided day of the game he wasn't gonna play and Pats had to start a guy that needed season ending surgery on his throwing hand and couldn't grip the ball good

Just imagine if Pats would have needed that game for a bye or home field that season. Honestly think that game ruined a perfect season IMO. If Garoppolo plays (only would have needed 17 points) and they would have been 8-0 going into the seahawks game, think they would have pulled that 1 out.. So a Garoppolo injury and the refs allowing Chancellor to mug Gronk away from that being a perfect season.
Yep. And WEEI was saying the team was not impressed with him for that

It is week 5 of the NFL season, once again there are health concerns regarding Jimmy G’s ability to play. Jimmy is currently in year 9 of his career, he has only started one full complete season without missing a game, that was 2019 and it was also the only time he played double digit games. His current team has already invested heavily in a rookie to replace him who may be getting his big moment to steal the job.

Not all of this is Jimmy’s fault. The majority of his time in NE he was back up to Brady when the legend famously got the second wind of his career. But he was granted a golden opportunity with the deflategate suspension and was set to lead the Pats in Brady’s place for the first quarter of the season. This was to be his big coming out party to make a case that he was the future the Patriots should invest in or get the interest of the rest of the league. He didn’t make it to the end of the first half of game 2.

After that he road the bench until a decision between him and Brady needed to be made. A lot of people in Pats nation lamented that we had given up our potential future in a shortsighted move to hold onto the present, a present that only had 2 more years anyways. It looked even worse when Jimmy finally started for the 49’ers and played very well, giving them a sharp turnaround to end an otherwise abysmal season. Then next year hope faded and Jimmy was quickly ruled out for the season. Yes he did play all of the next season in 2019 and led his team to a Super Bowl appearance displaying the talent many felt he had, but even then the defense was the show and tee’d Jimmy up for something he couldn’t close out in the decisive moments. The next season he came back in and out of the lineup only playing a scattered 6 games never getting over an aggravated injury.

The frustration of Jimmy’s injuries and lack of consistent and elevated play led for his team to explore elsewhere for their own future. Once again Jimmy is on the wrong side of an injury and it looks like the future is coming sooner than expected.

One has to think that had the Pats kept Jimmy in 2017 they may have one less SB win and now be in a purgatory of their own in a rebuild with a guy who may not have ever been the real answer for the future of the Pats QB role. It very likely could have been us in 2021 wondering if this guy pushing 30 was just a mirage that was only ever going to look good some of the time before an injury or bad play.
The only thing I disagree with is your conclusion. The Patriots would have drafted Mac Jones in 2021 to replace their 30-year-old QB.

Shanahan‘s 49ers are 24-10 with Jimmy and 7-27 without him.

That said, I‘ve never thought that system matched up so well with his skill set, as he’s more of a read/react QB than a scripted one.

That said, dude is made out of glass.
The Forty-Niners have a great record with Jimmy G because he holds up the offense's end of the bargain when he is in there. But their success had more to do with a superb defense and a terrific supporting cast on offense. That said, it would have great to have Jimmy G here in 2020 instead of Cam Newton. The Pats would still have had to do a rebuild in 2021, and it doubtful they could have done as much had Jimmy G and his cap hit been hanging over them. Overall, I like where the Patriots are headed with Mac Jones at the controls.

Brady was great! He was a leader, he was a champion. He was the greatest player I've ever had, and I've had 'em all!

And then Jimmy G comes along with his olive oil voice and guinea charm. Bill threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous. And a man in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous. Now you get the hell out of here!! - Bob Kraft
Nicely done :)

AManInMyPosition

Not sure that's true. I've done some video analysis oft the risks Jimmy G will take to make the play that show he gets is so committed to making the play accepting hits that no QB should be risking.

Instead of being "made of glass" Jimmy G is way too much of a company man for his own good. His first big injury he literally took off out of the pocket and got Mo Lewised trying to make a play happen. It was 4th and medium in garbage time.

It keeps happening for him where he lets himself get rocked to win the battle when he should be focused on winning the war. He won't slide, he won't give up the play to take a controlled hit, he won't do very much to protect himself if it puts a play in jepoardy and these are things QBs who like playing in the league for a long time do as a matter of course. So of course he gets hurt.

If you could cure Jimmy G of the need to try and be a superhero to make wins happen you'd have a great QB on your hands. Since they haven't tried, they get an injured QB on their hands instead
I agree with this take, remember the game he blew his knee out, there was no reason for him no to just run out of bounds.

This is Jimmy’s last year in SF. He was really good in 2017, but has been getting worse since his idiotic ACL tear in 2018.

I agree with this take, remember the game he blew his knee out, there was no reason for him no to just run out of bounds.
Similar on the game that cost him his shoulder against the Dolphins week 2 in 16.. He had no business running out of the pocket like that when we already had a lead. Throw it away, take the punt, and try again on the next possession.

The man tries to do too much and it always bites him eventually.

Guy is talented but as others have said he needs a good supporting cast and that's fine, only Top QBs can pull off miracles of having a winning record with garbage teams.

I'm not sure how he would've done in NE, different environment, different development. We tend to think most players would develop better here with Belichick but SF is a good organization and Shanaham is Ok so I don't know, Pats football operations for the past few years has not been so good as it used to be.

Jimmy is made of glass and sometimes just have brain farts like that fumble against Green Bay 2 weeks ago, he did well later and put his team in position to win but they lost and that fumble cost points. In that division it could cost a playoff entry as well.

Overall I think he has a place as a starter in this league and he can be a capable one, but I have the feeling he is entering that stage QBs get into a downward spiral mentally and never come back, Andy Dalton was a top QB on that 2nd layer of QBs after the Bradys and Peytons once, now he is toast, Jimmy can go there really fast with another injury or two.

As a Chiefs fan, it pains me to say that we probably have at least two SB's instead of one had the Patriots kept Glass G over Brady.
You have one Lombardi under Reid because that's all you've won under Reid, period. This woulda, coulda, if only stuff doesn't fly.

Last edited:

The Patriots absolutely made the right decision in keeping Brady over him. They do not have 6 SB's if Brady was dealt in 2017. Looking back, it's crazy to think they even considered choosing Glass G over Brady.

When the Patriots won the toss in 2018, I knew our season was done. It was a foregone conclusion Brady would get it done in OT.

In the SB, there wasn't once I feared Glass G. Not even down by 10. I knew we would win if Shanahan kept throwing it. Why did he keep throwing it? No idea. Because the Niners win if they run. But thanks anyways Shanny.

Honestly he seems like a guy who isn't willing to play through pain. Calling him soft would be an understatement.
Thank you for saying this.

I hate that Pats fans were even pondering the thought of letting Brady go a year early back in early 2020. So disrespectful.

My opinion of Jimmy is the same. Pretty good but fragile. He would be done for the season if he took the hits Mac has already taken. So with our current line I would definitely say bullet dodged. Jimmy at this point is like a new version of Sam Bradford.

He's about as injury prone as you get. Solid QB when healthy with a winning record. However, I highly doubt we win SB 53 with him instead of Brady, so yeah, I'll take winning another SB even if we didn't have the smoothest transition to Brady's successor.

Jimmy G has the bad combination of being innately fragile, being reckless on the field with their body at times, and being totally unwilling to play even if they're just dinged up a little.

This is Jimmy’s last year in SF. He was really good in 2017, but has been getting worse since his idiotic ACL tear in 2018.

He was good for a game or so in 2017. He played awesome in the first half of the Dolphins' game and decent for the recent of that game and before he got injured the game after that.

Even his Super Bowl year in San Fran, there were rumors that Shanahan was not happy with him making stupid decisions especially in key situations.

I’m just not the talent evaluator I thought I was…. Wynn, Jimmy, Sony : all players I defended on this board for years and they let me down. Maybe my dream of scouting for NE was never really meant to be. Sad face.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back