PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Garoppolo: Did the Patriots dodge a bullet?

lancerman

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
It is week 5 of the NFL season, once again there are health concerns regarding Jimmy G’s ability to play. Jimmy is currently in year 9 of his career, he has only started one full complete season without missing a game, that was 2019 and it was also the only time he played double digit games. His current team has already invested heavily in a rookie to replace him who may be getting his big moment to steal the job.

Not all of this is Jimmy’s fault. The majority of his time in NE he was back up to Brady when the legend famously got the second wind of his career. But he was granted a golden opportunity with the deflategate suspension and was set to lead the Pats in Brady’s place for the first quarter of the season. This was to be his big coming out party to make a case that he was the future the Patriots should invest in or get the interest of the rest of the league. He didn’t make it to the end of the first half of game 2.

After that he road the bench until a decision between him and Brady needed to be made. A lot of people in Pats nation lamented that we had given up our potential future in a shortsighted move to hold onto the present, a present that only had 2 more years anyways. It looked even worse when Jimmy finally started for the 49’ers and played very well, giving them a sharp turnaround to end an otherwise abysmal season. Then next year hope faded and Jimmy was quickly ruled out for the season. Yes he did play all of the next season in 2019 and led his team to a Super Bowl appearance displaying the talent many felt he had, but even then the defense was the show and tee’d Jimmy up for something he couldn’t close out in the decisive moments. The next season he came back in and out of the lineup only playing a scattered 6 games never getting over an aggravated injury.

The frustration of Jimmy’s injuries and lack of consistent and elevated play led for his team to explore elsewhere for their own future. Once again Jimmy is on the wrong side of an injury and it looks like the future is coming sooner than expected.

One has to think that had the Pats kept Jimmy in 2017 they may have one less SB win and now be in a purgatory of their own in a rebuild with a guy who may not have ever been the real answer for the future of the Pats QB role. It very likely could have been us in 2021 wondering if this guy pushing 30 was just a mirage that was only ever going to look good some of the time before an injury or bad play.

JG wrote his own ticket out of town when he backed out of playing that Bills game when the team expected him to be ready and forced Jacoby Brissett to start with a busted thumb.

Yeah, he’s not that good.

Yes. I wonder what his next contract will look like. When he’s healthy his record is pretty impeccable. But that’s a big when

Shanahan‘s 49ers are 24-10 with Jimmy and 7-27 without him.

That said, I‘ve never thought that system matched up so well with his skill set, as he’s more of a read/react QB than a scripted one.

That said, dude is made out of glass.

As a Chiefs fan, it pains me to say that we probably have at least two SB's instead of one had the Patriots kept Glass G over Brady.

The Patriots absolutely made the right decision in keeping Brady over him. They do not have 6 SB's if Brady was dealt in 2017. Looking back, it's crazy to think they even considered choosing Glass G over Brady.

When the Patriots won the toss in 2018, I knew our season was done. It was a foregone conclusion Brady would get it done in OT.

In the SB, there wasn't once I feared Glass G. Not even down by 10. I knew we would win if Shanahan kept throwing it. Why did he keep throwing it? No idea. Because the Niners win if they run. But thanks anyways Shanny.

Honestly he seems like a guy who isn't willing to play through pain. Calling him soft would be an understatement.

Yes. I wonder what his next contract will look like. When he’s healthy his record is pretty impeccable. But that’s a big when
He's pretty much done in SF after this year. No doubt about it.

Maybe Denver looks at bringing him in.

Honestly I think he needs to have a team full of elite talent to win. In otherwords, he's not capable of making others around him better.

He's pretty much done in SF after this year. No doubt about it.

Maybe Denver looks at bringing him in.

Honestly I think he needs to have a team full of elite talent to win. In otherwords, he's not capable of making others around him better.

He probably needs a good team around him, but let’s not forget 2017 where he took over a 1-10 sf team and went 5-0 with that team. Guys a winner imo,just not durable enough to depend on long term. If I needed a qb I’d try to get him on an incentive heavy contract while developing a plan b. Another injury prone year and I can’t imagine his price tag would be that high

He probably needs a good team around him, but let’s not forget 2017 where he took over a 1-10 sf team and went 5-0 with that team. Guys a winner imo,just not durable enough to depend on long term. If I needed a qb I’d try to get him on an incentive heavy contract while developing a plan b.
Availability is better than ability.

He's a sure bet to at least miss 5 games or so a year. Unfortunately that will scare alot of GM's away.

I think the 2017 run was a fluke. There wasn't as much tape on him.

The guy has no toughness whatsoever. I bet most of the QBs in the league would be practicing and playing with the injury he has. And he should have played vs. Buffalo in 2018. Brady would have. I'm sorry but you don't even have to point to the elite QBs to show how they play through pain and injuries. Even lesser QBs would play through some of the injuries Garoppolo had.

Personally, I think people overrated Belichick's interest to bring back Jimmy G. I assume he would have taken him back at the right price and drafted his replacement (most likely in the second or third round), but I think he was never going to give up a first or second round pick for him.

The 49ers should have cut him and gone with a cheaper stop gap replacement like Ryan Fitzgerald. They wasted a lot of money on this guy this year.

Availability is better than ability.

He's a sure bet to at least miss 5 games or so a year. Unfortunately that will scare alot of GM's away.

I think the 2017 run was a fluke. There wasn't as much tape on him.

I agree about the availability part. With him it’s a small sample to tough to tell if that’s a fluke. And The only other year he played he was on a stacked team. I still think he can keep a team competitive, but in addition to the injuries he showed in that super bowl he’s not ready for the big stage either. Could be a stop gap though for the right price

I agree about the availability part. With him it’s a small sample to tough to tell if that’s a fluke. And The only other year he played he was on a stacked team. I still think he can keep a team competitive, but in addition to the injuries he showed in that super bowl he’s not ready for the big stage each. Could be a stop gap though for the right price
Denver would make the most sense.

They can't draft a QB to save their lives.

Possibly NO with Payton.

The guy has no toughness whatsoever. I bet most of the QBs in the league would be practicing and playing with the injury he has. And he should have played vs. Buffalo in 2018. Brady would have. I'm sorry but you don't even have to point to the elite QBs to show how they play through pain and injuries. Even lesser QBs would play through some of the injuries Garoppolo had.

Personally, I think people overrated Belichick's interest to bring back Jimmy G. I assume he would have taken him back at the right price and drafted his replacement (most likely in the second or third round), but I think he was never going to give up a first or second round pick for him.

The 49ers should have cut him and gone with a cheaper stop gap replacement like Ryan Fitzgerald. They wasted a lot of money on this guy this year.
I agree about his softness to the point where I wonder if he just wants out of SF. He's getting paid either way and knows he's getting cut this offseason no matter what, so why push himself? May as well protect his body for his next team/contract. Just a thought.

You are absolutely correct.

SF is probably fed up with him.

A great fit.
Yep.

Payton would get the most out of him.

Thing is, Payton is a no nonsense type coach like Bill. So it's a question if Jimmy would survive in an environment like that.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back