PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo is back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what his position is. His brother is the assistant strength and conditioning coach.

It was only a matter of time.

I will miss his amazing insights that he shared with Tom Curran on their podcast, but his value to this team and establishing of the Patriots Way culture will be immeasurable and invaluable.

Congrats Jerod!!!

What is his policy on taking breaks to do dailies in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes?

That's great news. Very knowledgeable of the system, and a young guy to boot. I like what Reiss tweeted:

Mike Reiss

✔@MikeReiss

As @tomecurran said, former Patriots LB Jerod Mayo has been hired to join Bill Belichick's staff as an assistant. When he played for the team from 2008-2015, Mayo was sometimes referred to by teammates as Bill Jr. -- a coach in the making. Now he's in.

LB Coach!
While seemingly well-qualified, I'm willing to bet as his first coaching job BB will not make him a position coach out of the gate

While seemingly well-qualified, I'm willing to bet as his first coaching job BB will not make him a position coach out of the gate

Mayo is as dyed in the wool a BB guy as there is, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him come in as a full fledged LB coach without 'assistant' or some such in front of it.

Great news, loved him as a player and hope he'll be a great coach.

Which makes me think back and wonder how many guys on the current roster played with him. Brady, Edelman, Hightower, Gost (assuming he re-signs), Slater, Chung, McCourty, Allen, Cannon, Ebner... and I think that's it? It shouldn't be surprising, but it's always crazy IMO to go back and realize how much of the roster has turned over within just a few years.

Just checked, and Mayo's final season also coincided with Andrews' and Mason's rookie years, as well as Waddle's first season here. Bolden too, forgot he signed back here.

Cat like quick!

As a Patriots coach!

So who is still on the roster that he played with? In some cases (not saying his), there may be friction when being coached by a “peer”.

Brady, Edelman, Cannon, White, Slater, Bolden, Andrews, Mason and Hoyer on offense
Allen and maybe Gost on ST.
DMac, Chung, Harmon, Hightower, Ebner and King on defense.

Edit - @BradyFTW! beat me to it.

Awesome! My guess for Bob Fraser's role was assistant to an inexperienced linebackers coach. I guess it doesn't get more inexperienced than a guy who has technically never coached before. He'll be great, though.

Yeah .... is he coaching linebackers or is he a linebackers coach? I would think BB would'nt give him the title and pressure at 1st. Interesting Curran worded it this way ...

I believe it has been reported that they (coaching staff read BB) considered him a coach on the field when he played, so moving to an actual position coach should be a no brainer. This was BB's quote after Mayo retired.

"I'll start out this morning, first of all, to talk about Jerod Mayo," Belichick said. "I talked to Jerod a few weeks ago. He told me about his retirement. There have been very few players in my career that I've had the opportunity to coach that I'd say had more of an impact on a team than Jerod has from day one, which is unusual. From the first day he walked in the facility, which was his pre-draft visit, after we drafted him in 2008, he's been a pleasure to coach, a great addition to our team, both on and off the field," Belichick continued. "I'm sure I learned a lot more from him than he did from me. Jerod, (Chantel) and their family brought a special glow to our team, to our organization. Although Jerod will always be part of the team and is always welcome, he'll be missed on a daily basis, the attitude, work ethic and love of football that he brought was special. He was very special."

finally some good news in an off season of sh!t.

Judging by Mayo’s work on Curran’s show & his podcast, his ascension up the coaching ranks shouldn’t take too long.

Mayo was a spear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference