PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JE11 on Garoppolo

Jimmy laughed all the way to the bank. The guy is due to make $140 Million in a 9 year career. He could play out his one last payday.... um... I mean season and retire a rich man.

Last edited:
Brutal. Thought the team liked Jimmy more than Tom. That's why he was shipped out of town.
The Pats could not afford to keep Jimmy and Brady IIRC.

Jimmy would have been franchised and blown the Pats cap to smithereens.

My Gillette source told me in '21 (on draft day)....
Acquiring JG was NE's offseason Plan A in 2021 but SF opted to retain his services after deciding to draft Lance, the rawest of the Class of '21 QB "A listers."
Once JG was a confirmed "no go" (about 2 weeks before draft), Mac became New England's new Plan A with OT Rashawn Slater being their Plan B if Mac was off the board. NE was willing to trade up a couple slots to secure Mac but the board fell their way.

This info was posted in the draft thread about an hour before NE selected.
I was also told NE had removed Micah Parsons from their draft board due to outside concerns

Last edited:
Always been a big Jimmy fan but obviously this isn't a good look for him. I always respected Brissett for gutting it out with one thumb as a rookie.

Zolak said yesterday that Blount told him a while back that he also thought Jimmy was soft and let the team down. So that’s 3 of the most important offensive skill players on that years roster who are on record as being pissed about Jimmy.

Seems like this post is full of people getting off on calling another dude puh$$y or bihich...

Have you walked a mile in his shoes?

Jimmy laughed all the way to the bank. The guy is due to make $140 Million in a 9 year career. He could play out his one last payday.... um... I mean season and retire a rich man.
Indeed. Funny how when sports owners "tank" seasons in a row in order to win in the future people say they are smart, when a player "tanks" people say he's a puh$$y.

Jimmy's making big $$$ this season, and someone's gonna give him another big contract too. He's a big upgrade for at least a third of the league. All it takes is one team deciding he's their best option.

Acquiring JG was NE's offseason Plan A in 2021 but SF opted to retain his services after deciding to draft Lance, the rawest of the Class of '21 QB "A listers."
Once JG was a confirmed "no go" (about 2 weeks before draft), Mac became New England's new Plan A with OT Rashawn Slater being their Plan B if Mac was off the board. NE was willing to trade up a couple slots to secure Mac but the board fell their way.

I was also told NE had removed Micah Parsons from their draft board due to outside concerns
So, as recently as a year ago, it was us that would have decided he was our best option.

I still wonder how BB knew that he could hold pat and still get Mac. To me it was at best an informed gamble.

Zolak said yesterday that Blount told him a while back that he also thought Jimmy was soft and let the team down. So that’s 3 of the most important offensive skill players on that years roster who are on record as being pissed about Jimmy.

We all understand why you and other Buccaneers faithful desperately want Garoppolo condemned for all eternity as "soft." Although, anyone who has followed his post-Patriots career knows the player's toughness and resilience are beyond question.

I wonder what the conversation about JG would be like today if he didn't miss Sanders by 10 feet in the Super Bowl

a couple of thoughts:

1. I totally agree with @Sicilian that there was NEVER a plan to trade Brady to keep Jimmy. He was drafted as a contingency in case Brady started to slip as MOST QB's do in their late 30's and early 40's. It was a smart move, BIUT Brady simply beat him out. Jimmy was good, but Brady was better. It was as simple as that. So when in that las year of his contract, the Pats simply decided to get at least SOMETHING in a trade and they wound up with a high 2nd round pick.

2. On one side I hadn't heard yet is what seemed to be universal support of his teammates in SF. Why is that. Maybe he toughed up?

3. On the other side a point that hasn't been mention (I think) Maybe JE's comment could be explained by the fact he saw JG practice all week and thought JG looked like he COULD throw well enough to play. If Jimmy's arm was so bad and he he was unable to throw well enough to be effective, Edelman and his other teammates would have seen it and NOT be disappointed he didn't play. I believe THAT's why there was such a reaction from JE and Bennett. He DID look decent enough to play that week and then just didn't.

4 On the other hand I believe that as a cold business fact, Jimmy was smart to sit it out and not risk further possible damage. HE knew that he was cot the door at the end of the season by trade or his contract ending. All the Kraft and BB wanting to dump Brady stuff was BS. Brady was clearly the better QB AND showed no sign of slipping. Jimmy was going to be GONE at the end of the season. There WAS no drama. Jimmy simply did was was best for Jimmy and it worked out....for HIM. (btw can you have 3 other sides ;)) )_

5. IIRC, in that game when Brady courageously played and won against Miami, IF things had broken the Pats way and they got into the playoffs, Brady would have been unable to play. the next week. He was really beaten up in that game.

6. He's the thing. JG IS a very good QB who led his team to the superbowl and an NFCCG in two of the 3 full ;seasons he led the Niners. Never forget that. BUT....injuries HAVE been a consistent problem for him. These were real and not imagined stuff. If you are the next team looking to to sign JG, then this issue is part of the package.

7. On the other hand, back in 2020 Jimmy WAS the best option for the Pats IF the Niners decided to move on from him. I don't know why some of the Bradyites would try to link this to all the false rumors that the Pats wanted to keep Jimmy over Tom. That MIGHT have been a consideration IF Tom has shown any signs of slippage during the 3 years after Jimmy was drafted. BUT he didn't and it was Jimmy who was shipped out.

Last edited:
Baker Mayfield played with a separated shoulder with a fractured bone on his non-throwing shoulder. Football, and hockey, are big boy sports.

& he sucked really badly.

I've seen a lot of QBs play with this injury. They are useless. The non-throwing shoulder is a huge part of... throwing. Eason had it. Elway had it. Elway used to drive the ball into the ground regularly with injury.

And beyond that, if you get hit and separate it again, you can say bye to your career. Baker shouldn't have been out there.

& he sucked really badly.

I've seen a lot of QBs play with this injury. They are useless. The non-throwing shoulder is a huge part of... throwing. Eason had it. Elway had it. Elway used to drive the ball into the ground regularly with injury.

And beyond that, if you get hit and separate it again, you can say bye to your career. Baker shouldn't have been out there.

Most all football guys disagree with you. But you be you.

But how did Bill know that SF was going to hold onto Jimmy before he had a chance to draft Mac? Was he told before the draft that SF was going to take Lance?

BB has been trying to get Jimmy back since Brady left.

If the price is right you never know.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back