PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JE11 on Garoppolo

You don't go to 9 SBs in 18 years with a 1/2 ass roster surrounding a franchise QB.

Additionally he made the playoffs two years removed from Tom leaving with a rookie QB.

He is the unquestioned GOAT at filling out a roster multiple times over.

Not accurate. His legacy is fine. Are Lombardi, Landry, Noll and Walsh's legacies impacted because they didn't win without Starr, Staubach, Bradshaw and Montana?

Walsh’s record was horrible without Montana…it’s these Bradyites who are just trying to stir things up.

JG vs TB12 vs SG is a pretty interesting comparison. It highlights the fact that elite QBs have to be physically able to make plays, be tough and make quick decisions and execute, especially when the game is on the line. Having good players around the QB determines wins and losses.

Brady excels in all three areas, which is why he is the GOAT. All other Pat QB's with the possible exception of Jim Plunkett fell short in one or more of these categories.
Wow. Totally disagree:

Parilli: Short of the rarified air of Starr, Staubach, Montana, Brady etc. But pretty darned good. Definitely better than Flacco or Lomax.

Grogan & Flutie: If I ever make a Top Ten Most Underrated Quarterbacks Of All Time list, both will be on it. There are detailed statistical analyses which back me up on this.

Their NFL careers were actively sabotaged, in unique ways. Grogan had one ring literally stolen from him, and later put his teams in position to win, but sat on the sidelines. As did Flutie - twice, eleven years apart. In between he simply earned the title from most of The Best Player In CFL History.

Eason was finally, mercifully cut because he refused a pay cut. Grogan would play for nothing. Today. "If they'd let me, I'd play right now." Grogan played when he shouldn't have. Sometimes we lost. But most times, we won.

It's fascinating to me, that Victor Kiam sincerely wanted to win. And the whole time, he had Flutie. He was clearly outnumbered, even after rightfully firing Eason-loving Berry, by Sullivan and "football people consensus". All he had to do was sign Doug (on the cheap), and hire a coach who believed in him. The stadium would be sold out and the team would at least make the playoffs.

Bledsoe, Elway, Kelly, et al. were paid $millions, given the starting job with no competition, had the red carpet rolled out for them, were coddled and pampered.

Now, the fact that Brady, Plunkett & Grogan(later after years of getting the crap kicked out of them), and Flutie had to fight to start, added to their determination. But all of these guys excelled in all three areas. Period. I trust each and every one of them to win a game. I do not trust Marino, Fouts, Stabler or Moon-who are indeed very good, but not exceptional, or Elway, Kelly, Young & Aikman, who played on loaded teams.

I sound like a homer. I am. Brady got his chance here. Tom & Plunkett got their chances after leaving. Grogan & Flutie just got screwed. But their performance speaks for itself.
Bledsoe made bad decisions, Tony Eason was not tough
Those two have much in common.

Except, local fans saw the forest regarding Grogan & Flutie being astronomically better.

It amazes me how Bledsoe was and still is treated like a god around here, when he could never carry Brady's, Grogan's, Plunkett's or Flutie's jockstraps. Like a lot of guys, Drew could throw a football. He is a nice person. He tried his best. He was given the royal treatment. He comported himself well. Understandable, how he is liked, especially as it pertains to the false laughingstock narrative.

I would say that everybody WANTED Drew to be great, and him throwing for a lot of yards seemed to corroborate that. I'd say that many WANT the flying elvis and blue jerseys to be, um, not repugnant, and winning six Super Bowls seemed to corroborate that too.

Or course, they don't.

I was a supporter of Jimmy G but after these stories I am glad with the Jimmy G results.

What are the options here? I dont see much, maybe the Giants

Nothing like waiting until most teams has settled on their starting QB. And the teams who are in need of a starter know that the 49ers will probably be forced to cut him anyway.

And who exactly does their FO believe will be Lance's backup? Nate Sudfeld? Brock Purdy?!?

Niners going down the Cleveland Brownies path to stability at the QB position...

What are the options here? I dont see much, maybe the Giants
I can see some interesting options, but not as part of a trade and full salary payment. And they'd depend on just how impatient JAG was about seeing the field. But most of the options that seem to jump at me first involve JAG riding the pine this year (barring injury to the team's starter), and stepping in next season.

Nothing like waiting until most teams has settled on their starting QB. And the teams who are in need of a starter know that the 49ers will probably be forced to cut him anyway.
He was injured so they couldn’t trade him. I hope the 9ers aren’t their usual stubborn selves and pass up an opportunity of trading Jimmy rather than keeping him. Or just release the guy to free up money for a potential mid season trade.

Get rid of Jimmy ASAP so Lance doesn’t have a $24M QB looking over his shoulder.

No it isn't. The amount of talent and successful NFL careers that has been acquired and developed by BB is unprecedented.

Also factor in cap management as THE way to maintain competitive rosters.

Hes just as good as a GM as a coach.

How many other NFL coaches/GMs the last 20 years have made the playoffs shortly after losing their franchise QB 2 years later?

Additionally there were only 16 players on the 2021 playoff roster which were also on the 2018 SB roster. That is ~80% turnover + PS.

I don't think you are grasping how incredibly difficult that is.
Bill is 17-15 since Brady left. As far as making the playoffs. Colts went 11-5 two years after Manning left. Its not so miraculous.

I think Flutie took the Bills to the playoffs 2 years after Kelly retired. Flutie starting wasn't planned though, doubtful that would have happened if Rob Johnson stayed the starter.
Yep and DEN did it in 2000 w/ Brian Griese.

Yep and DEN did it in 2000 w/ Brian Griese.
Miami too. Fiedler made the playoffs the season after Marino retired with a first year HC.

I don't think that had much to do with Fiedler though...the Dolphin defense was so good. Taylor and Thomas were awesome and Surtain and Madison in the secondary were a nightmare for passers. Marion wasn't too shabby either.

Miami too. Fiedler made the playoffs the season after Marino retired with a first year HC.

I don't think that had much to do with Fiedler though...the Dolphin defense was so good. Taylor and Thomas were awesome and Surtain and Madison in the secondary were a nightmare for passers. Marion wasn't too shabby either.
Those Jimmy Johnson defenses were sick.

I think Flutie took the Bills to the playoffs 2 years after Kelly retired. Flutie starting wasn't planned though, doubtful that would have happened if Rob Johnson stayed the starter.
Johnson was given the Eason treatment: that is, paid a lot, and started over vastly better, vastly paid less great quarterbacks, despite being mediocre.

If Rob Johnson was RoboSack, then Tony Eason was what maybe, EasySack?
Tony tried his best. He could throw a football. He threw for 360 yards against the Jets one time.He was Proto-Drew. While he was mediocre, he wasn't terrible all the time. That he got knocked out was the best thing about him(Berry forced to put someone good into the game).

Tony led us back to beat the Seahawks when we were further down to them than we were against the Vikings with Drew. 23-0 Seattle with less than a minute left in the first half. Also Tony's second season. But Tony was not ballyhooed. Drew Bledsoe was more hyped locally than Bobby Orr.

Raymond Berry LOVES Tony Eason.

"There's no (R)Eason to believe the Patriots have any shot against the Bears (or Broncos)."

Unless he gets hurt early. Very early.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back