PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White re-signing with Patriots

James "Sweet Feet The Hero Of Houston" White, Baby!!!!

OK, add more meat at DT....and go all in on QB in the draft!!!! LFG!!!!

Brady seemed ok with him in the backfield. Not saying it makes him a genius but can get the job done well.
Different offense.

That makes no sense at all to me. White is an exceptional receiver out of the backfield who can move the chains all day long, Its shocking to me that he wouldn’t have any value on the open market.

Between the shrinking cap and playing with Scam and the Little Sisters of the Poor at the skill positions last year, this probably wasn’t the best year to enter FA for White.

That is too low for White. This is a cold cold business. We have to do better than that.
$2.5 million would be the LIFETIME earnings of an average worker in the USA if that worker stayed on the job for 62-and-a-half years.

It's also $7,575.76 PER SNAP if he takes the same number as last year.

Brrr.

Yup. For all the talk of how suppressed the WR market was, the RB market seems to be the one actually in the tank. White is approaching that magical 30 mark for RB's, which tends to be a tough line to cross, so next year might be his last chance to cash in. If the money wasn't there this offseason, it behooves him to stay in a system he knows (which seemingly has improved the cast around him) and try to get his payday next year when the market stabilizes.

Either way, I'm glad to have him back this year.
I think the 30 mark is more relevant for 1st and 2nd down backs, I think receiving backs can still be productive well after that point.

Different offense.

Between the shrinking cap and playing with Scam and the Little Sisters of the Poor at the skill positions last year, this probably wasn’t the best year to enter FA for White.
I agree, but you would think that someone like Joe Judge would see the benefits of bringing in White to help Jones in passing situations.

I agree, but you would think that someone like Joe Judge would see the benefits of bringing in White to help Jones in passing situations.
You’d think. Maybe they’re heading to the draft for that. Either way, it’s clear that there wasn’t much out there for White this year and he inked a one year deal in hopes of a rebound season and cashing in next year.

Expected and glad to see him back, our improved receiving corps all of a sudden has improved even more..

The return of White is the best of all the FA news for me. I thought that he was gone for sure. Now we need to get a QB who can get him the ball and let him do his magic.

If we're going to draft another RB in Rd 3 anyway I'd rather keep Burkhead. Why take a chance with a draft pick?
Here's the thing I like about the CURRENT Pats RB depth chart. At least this is the way I'm looking at it. I'm making my determination based on 2 facts. The Pats are going to run the ball at least 25-30 times a game AND RB's tend to get hurt.

1. Harris is the clear #1, but here's the thing on him, which is both great and bad. He runs with great power like he's Jerome Bettis or Corey Dillon , unfortunately he's only 215. That is why you need a RB #1B, which is where Sony Michell comes in. He's a proven 900yps guy who runs with a more elusive style.

2. Now that White is back he fills the 3rd down back role like its made for him (and he runs a bit better than he has in the past as well). JJTaylor caught the ball well and ran like a miniature Deon Lewis (is that redundant ;) ), so he also fills the "change up RB" role. That is 4 solid, if not spectacular set of RB's the Pats have to go along with Brandon Bolden who could fill in when you have a massive injury crunch and get you 3 yds. Add that to the 2 quality FB's we have in Johnson and Vitale and that is quite a good RB room.

3. So where would Burkhead fit in. Granted he's a hard RB with good moves, but he too runs harder than his body can take. He's also a very good 3rd down back who, like white, is a good enough receiver to line up wide and get respect. I'd love him here, BUT where?. No, sorry. Not worried about him getting a job some where. There are a lot of teams who need the kind of player I've described. But he's also the kind of player you can't count on to be there at the end of the season. A perfect "better a year too early than a year too late" kind of guy

Here's the thing I like about the CURRENT Pats RB depth chart. At least this is the way I'm looking at it. I'm making my determination based on 2 facts. The Pats are going to run the ball at least 25-30 times a game AND RB's tend to get hurt.

1. Harris is the clear #1, but here's the thing on him, which is both great and bad. He runs with great power like he's Jerome Bettis or Corey Dillon , unfortunately he's only 215. That is why you need a RB #1B, which is where Sony Michell comes in. He's a proven 900yps guy who runs with a more elusive style.

2. Now that White is back he fills the 3rd down back role like its made for him (and he runs a bit better than he has in the past as well). JJTaylor caught the ball well and ran like a miniature Deon Lewis (is that redundant ;) ), so he also fills the "change up RB" role. That is 4 solid, if not spectacular set of RB's the Pats have to go along with Brandon Bolden who could fill in when you have a massive injury crunch and get you 3 yds. Add that to the 2 quality FB's we have in Johnson and Vitale and that is quite a good RB room.

3. So where would Burkhead fit in. Granted he's a hard RB with good moves, but he too runs harder than his body can take. He's also a very good 3rd down back who, like white, is a good enough receiver to line up wide and get respect. I'd love him here, BUT where?. No, sorry. Not worried about him getting a job some where. There are a lot of teams who need the kind of player I've described. But he's also the kind of player you can't count on to be there at the end of the season. A perfect "better a year too early than a year too late" kind of guy

Agree with all your comments regarding the RB's but "elusive style" and Sony shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. In fact I think he should put on 10-15 lbs. I do think Sony can catch a football better then most think. If someone other then Cam is the starting QB in 2021...I predict he will have 25ish receptions helping to fill the role left by Burkhead.

Last edited:
Whitey is back.

Who? You got me hanging on your every word? A free agent, a draft pick? Danny Woodhead?
Tampa Bay. I think had White left New England, then Tampa Bay would have made a helluva lot of sense as a landing spot.

Ultimately Burkhead tore his ACL around Thanksgiving. Unless he gets hold of some deer antler spray, he’s not going to be ready for the start of the season. We‘re probably looking at a PUP situation. So I don’t think we need to worry about where he fits on the roster. If the Pats think he can recover and Burkhead is willing to sign a cheap one-year deal reflecting his injury status, then I think a deal gets done. ”Worst case” scenario is that he’s fully healthy and recovered in October but the team’s roster is full. More than likely, either he won’t be completely recovered (meaning healthy enough to play but not at the same level as before), or he’s recovered but someone else is injured opening up a spot for him.

Harris can’t be depended on for a full season. Same with Michel, who also isn’t a guarantee to not be traded or be re-signed. Taylor hasn’t proven anything. Very high ceiling with this group, but very low as well. I’m really happy White is back, but I’m curious what their plan is for him. Will be interesting to watch it unfold. I’d feel a lot better if we brought in a few more quality backs for competition and have one stick.

This last year certainly sucked for White and this Free Agency didn't make it better.

Becoming FA as RB just under 30 when both market and his production plummeted - by circumstances he had little to no control of - was just another blow after great personal loss he couldn't even properly consume mid season.

I don't know if this was best offer - but id guess in any case not by much - so deciding to come back on a 1y deal as 3rd in rotation and unfavourable QB situation re. his best skill set is interesting.

Besides familiarity he must believe his opportunities to produce will be better in 2021 than last year when his usage/targets plummeted by more than 50% from 2018 - since he is becoming FA again next year at 30.

One is OL - even White should be productive as runner behind those monsters - the other is RPO orientation of NE offence - and also trust in passing game getting better w Cam's better health and full preseason.

Just one more example that Pats players - & those coming back in particular - show a lot of trust and excitement in this team/season.

I still wouldn't mind them using a 4th or 5th round pick on a receiving back, even if they just redshirt him at first.

I initially thought Bill would let him walk to Miami or TB, but after a quiet market, he's back.

Last year was a tough one for James White so I am not at all surprised his numbers were down. Between Covid and his parents' car crash resulting in the death of his father and severe injuries to his mother, I'm surprised he played as much as he did. After that car accident, his mind was probably elsewhere for quite a while.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back