PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Harrison Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BSJ gives a very detailed accounting of Harrison's remarks. He goes a lot further than the instagram above in detailing what he went through to get to this point.

When he signed he was told he was going to get snaps. When it became clear early on that this wasn't happening, he respectfully asked to be released. They kept telling he'd get snaps and it didn't happen. He asked for his release again. And they kept telling him he'd get snaps again. And soon he wasn't getting practice snaps.

This went on through the entire season. He didn't have a problem getting beat out by TJ Watt. What he had a problem was with the lies they kept telling him, while not getting his release. They kept stringing him along ALL season.

Important to note that he flatly rejected the notion that he didn't help Watt and the other younger LB's. He rejected the notion that he didn't visit Shazier after his injury. It looks more and more that this was an orchestrated smear campaign that the Steelers ORGANIZATION wanted to get out there.

And the fact that they did it so overtly, just shows more about the reasons why the Pats own the Steelers. They have the best roster in the AFC, and should never lose to the Pats, especially with the front 7 we've been force to throw out there over the last 8 games. Yet they lack the mental discipline to turn that talent into victories over the Pats.....And this year isn't going to be any different.
This is why the Steelers will never rival this Patriots era as an organization. They are too proud to take these things philosophically and waste energy on insults.

The Patriots have shown time and time again that they have the discipline that these Steelers sorely lack. Hit us with an unjust penalty, we take the hit and just keep winning. Insult us and we don't even respond. Try to use our history against us and we're on to the next game and aren't even interested. That's how a team wins football games.

I'm sure there's any number of times the Patriot fans wanted the team to respond to this or that drama of the moment with the kind of anger the Steelers are showing here, but I want you to watch the next time the Steelers play a football game, because I'd be willing to put good money, if I had any, that they won't be properly prepared or organized for the fight that's coming. Both because of this drama and because of what this drama means for the team. They will be looking past their divisional opponent to the AFCCG, and thinking more about the Patriots than whoever that opponent will be, and if that doesn't bite them in the butt hard there is no justice in the universe.

The Patriots always come ready to play because they close the blinds on all the drama and just focus on what it takes to win the next football game. The Steelers can't do that.

It amazes me that the Steelers CUT harrison and him going to another team namely the patriots is such a big distraction for them that they keep talking about it. just shows how much the Pats are in the steelers heads.

that being said, I think harrison has something left in the tank. maybe he wont/cant drop into coverage anymore like the steelers want their linebackers to do. but the guy needs to rush the passer and set the edge for 3-4 games. I think he can do it.

Best thing that could happen IMO would be that he treats tomorrow as an audition or showcase and goes off with a big game, big enough to win DPOW honors. Think of the number of heads that would explode, on this board as well as in Pittsburgh. Here's hoping!

Best thing that could happen IMO would be that he treats tomorrow as an audition or showcase and goes off with a big game, big enough to win DPOW honors. Think of the number of heads that would explode, on this board as well as in Pittsburgh. Here's hoping!

I'm also hoping, both for your reason and because the bye week could use some spicy topicality :D

Actually, when you think about it, we should THANK the Steelers for stringing Harrison along to the end of the season. If they had released him earlier in the season it would have been much more likely that he would have signed with another team, and less likely he would have been signed by the Pats. At that point of the season, before HT and KVN went down, the need for a really old guy who could set the edge and rush the passer a little bit was less than now.

The BSJ gives a very detailed accounting of Harrison's remarks. He goes a lot further than the instagram above in detailing what he went through to get to this point.

When he signed he was told he was going to get snaps. When it became clear early on that this wasn't happening, he respectfully asked to be released. They kept telling he'd get snaps and it didn't happen. He asked for his release again. And they kept telling him he'd get snaps again. And soon he wasn't getting practice snaps.

This went on through the entire season. He didn't have a problem getting beat out by TJ Watt. What he had a problem was with the lies they kept telling him, while not getting his release. They kept stringing him along ALL season.

Important to note that he flatly rejected the notion that he didn't help Watt and the other younger LB's. He rejected the notion that he didn't visit Shazier after his injury. It looks more and more that this was an orchestrated smear campaign that the Steelers ORGANIZATION wanted to get out there.

And the fact that they did it so overtly, just shows more about the reasons why the Pats own the Steelers. They have the best roster in the AFC, and should never lose to the Pats, especially with the front 7 we've been force to throw out there over the last 8 games. Yet they lack the mental discipline to turn that talent into victories over the Pats.....And this year isn't going to be any different.
I'll bet my bottom dollar Stacy James or BB introduced Bedard to James Harrison and fed him the backstory.

I think he'll fit in just fine here, the steelers defense is built on speed and sure he's lost a step but BB will carve out a job for him and if he does his job I think he'll make an impact.
Why did you get a dislike and a disagree for this post?

BB has been doing this for 17 years. Do fans pay attention?

I can count the number of blazing fast OLBs who have played on this team on one finger.

We don't know what Harrison had left but if has anything in the tank, this is the place to use it.

I can count the number of blazing fast OLBs who have played on this team on one finger.

We don't know what Harrison had left but if has anything in the tank, this is the place to use it.
Especially when it’s a repeat post which in its first iteration earned agrees and likes. Unless that was the point, no repeat posts...

BTW I imagine BB will figure out how and how much to use this former great this week.

Actually, when you think about it, we should THANK the Steelers for stringing Harrison along to the end of the season. If they had released him earlier in the season it would have been much more likely that he would have signed with another team, and less likely he would have been signed by the Pats. At that point of the season, before HT and KVN went down, the need for a really old guy who could set the edge and rush the passer a little bit was less than now.

Well PF I'm completely on board with your "thanking the Steelers" save 1 condition: JH actually plays well or at least modestly decently (which for our LBs makes him a star):)

Well PF I'm completely on board with your "thanking the Steelers" save 1 condition: JH actually plays well or at least modestly decently (which for our LBs makes him a star):)
Hey, BS, he can wash out and be gone before the playoffs start and it will be worth it just as an expose of the Steelers' character.

That being said, I originally thought his role would be as a passing down threat off the edge. But others have pointed out that one of the strengths of Harrison's game has always been his ability to "set the edge", and at 265+ lbs that seems to be an easier role for him to succeed at, than rushing the passer. Also it would be one less affected by the loss of a step or two that age has brought on.

After watching skinny guys like Lee and the guy he replaced (whose name escapes me now) fail at the job. Maybe THIS will be the area Harrison can help the team immediately. I think I read a quote from Harrison to the effect he would still be able to "set the edge" when he was 50.

So maybe everyone got this wrong. The common wisdom is that he will be needed as a situational pass rusher, when the reality will be that he will first be used as a situational RUN defender.

Hey, BS, he can wash out and be gone before the playoffs start and it will be worth it just as an expose of the Steelers' character.

That being said, I originally thought his role would be as a passing down threat off the edge. But others have pointed out that one of the strengths of Harrison's game has always been his ability to "set the edge", and at 265+ lbs that seems to be an easier role for him to succeed at, than rushing the passer. Also it would be one less affected by the loss of a step or two that age has brought on.

After watching skinny guys like Lee and the guy he replaced (whose name escapes me now) fail at the job. Maybe THIS will be the area Harrison can help the team immediately. I think I read a quote from Harrison to the effect he would still be able to "set the edge" when he was 50.

So maybe everyone got this wrong. The common wisdom is that he will be needed as a situational pass rusher, when the reality will be that he will first be used as a situational RUN defender.
I've had similar thoughts . Lots of strong running games in the playoffs.
KC has a 1200 yd runner. Bell is as well. Collins for BAL is a beast. TN can run the ball. So can JAX. Chargers too if they sneak in.

Ground n pound vs NE keeps TB12 off the field and that is bad.

I look for him to get opportunities in both roles tomorrow.

It was a duplicate post, was trying to get the guy to delete it

I think Harrison has 1-2 plays left in the tank and hope one of those plays is against his former team! Imagine the story if Harrison strip sacks Ben and the play results in the dagger against them or seals our victoty?

Man, thatd be juicy.

PF, I agree. The cost is little and given the current situation at LB the reward is absolutely worth the risk (as well as relishing in Pitt throwing a hissy fit).

After we signed him, again given the glaring weakness of the positional group, I have not assumed JH is certain to be given a very narrow role (as Matt Chatham noted as well). Whatever snap count he can tolerate with whatever personnel grouping/play calling he can learn/accommodate with even just a decent enough playing level (an upgrade over what we have now - which is quite lacking), I'd expect to see him out there. Bottom line: if he has some decent football left in him I'd not be surprised to see him get 20 snaps or more for several down/distance conditions.
There certainly is no doubting what appears to be a strong desire to get out there and play/compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back