PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakob Johnson: Patriots to stop using fullback

I say good riddance to the FB. If the Patriots are going to compete with the better teams in the AFC (of which there are many at this point) then they will need to be more dynamic and explosive. Their running game with Harris and Stevenson will be strong enough either way but their passing game needs to improve significantly. Mac Jones needs to be a 4500-ish-yards passer with 30-34 TDs and low turnovers if this team is going to succeed anytime in the near future. Bill hasn't signed any of the premiere FA WRs for Jones so I for one am hoping pick #21 is a future #1 stud receiver.

I'm not into the Dalton Keene idea either.
If Williams is off the board I’m for a trade down.

I hope the Pats go back to multiple offense in the sense that they can run multiple formations with the same personnel grouping on the same drive.

When the Pats lined up in the I formation everyone knew they were going to run it. My hope is that this year the Pats are better able to keep defenses guessing.
Being able to run all plays with the same players on the field is the big thing that has changed since the Gronk and AH days. Defenses never knew what was coming. Recently the Pats have been too predictable based on the personnel on the field for a given play. FB + Damien Harris = run, White/Bolden = pass. I hope that the move away from a dedicated FB is intended to be able to be more dynamic with the game plan.

Last edited:
Seems you don't believe in the function of an H-back either let alone the traditional blocking FB.

Moving on. No need to discuss further.
Titles are overrated in relation to actual duties.

FB's, H-Backs and TE's often do similar things... Patriot TE's especially did when they didn't roster a FB.

I really liked Alstott and Centers. Juszczyk is probably the closest to a receiving fullback in this league and he only caught 30 passes last year. Patrick Pass caught 28 passes while serving as the fullback to Corey Dillon.
Agreed, Kyle Juszczyk made the Pro Bowl last year and he had 300 yards receiving... Jonnu should be able to eclipse that easily while still playing a dual role as TE/FB.

Titles are overrated in relation to actual duties.

FB's, H-Backs and TE's often do similar things... Patriot TE's especially did when they didn't roster a FB.

Yes the do similar things with varying frequency.

Being able to run all plays with the same players on the field is the big thing that has changed since the Gronk and AH days. Defenses never knew what was coming. Recently the Pats have been too predictable based on the personnel on the field for a given play. FB + Damien Harris = run, White/Bolden = pass. I hope that the move away from a dedicated FB is intended to be able to be more dynamic with the game plan.
I would love to see the return of the no huddle offenses of the past. Get opposing defenses to commit to the run or pass then do the opposite and speed the tempo up so it's harder for defenses to adjust.

I'm really hoping that McDaniels was the one who really loved the power I sets, and with him having moved on the Pats offense will look more like it did under Bill O'Brien.

hopefully this means the first play inside the 10 on first down won't be a run 9/10 times

Year 3 is typically make or break for kids that haven't proven anything yet. Either it clicks and they carve out a role or they're gone. This would seem to be Keene's best opportunity, but it's not looking great for the kid IMO.
Harry didn't click year 3 and he's not gone...

Harry didn't click year 3 and he's not gone...

Well, he's going into the last year of his deal, which we've seen them move guys many times before, so I wouldn't count him as on the team this year by any stretch. Also, I said "carve out a role", which he did. He's played 33 games with 18 starts. His play has NOT been good enough, and his role as essentially blocking WR will never be worth the 1st they spent on him no matter how good he could get at it. But he had a role on the team. Keene has played a total of 140 snaps over two years.

Well, he's going into the last year of his deal, which we've seen them move guys many times before, so I wouldn't count him as on the team this year by any stretch. Also, I said "carve out a role", which he did. He's played 33 games with 18 starts. His play has NOT been good enough, and his role as essentially blocking WR will never be worth the 1st they spent on him no matter how good he could get at it. But he had a role on the team. Keene has played a total of 140 snaps over two years.
I’m past the whole 1st round failure thing. And yea he is a good blocking WR..but that’s it. It’s like FB…how long can we burn a roster spot on this person. The opposing team KNOWS he isn’t getting the ball. We need to be more dynamic and keep the same personal on the field for all 3 downs. We are not fooling anyone. We have to stop with this mentality that “this is what we are going to do and you try to stop it”. We don’t have the personnel for that.

Gesh I kinda went on a weird rant there didn’t I.

I’m past the whole 1st round failure thing. And yea he is a good blocking WR..but that’s it. It’s like FB…how long can we burn a roster spot on this person. The opposing team KNOWS he isn’t getting the ball. We need to be more dynamic and keep the same personal on the field for all 3 downs. We are not fooling anyone. We have to stop with this mentality that “this is what we are going to do and you try to stop it”. We don’t have the personnel for that.

Gesh I kinda went on a weird rant there didn’t I.

Hey, I agree with you. I wasn't trying to claim Harry was good or worth his spot. Just that him still being here isn't evidence that Keene will stick around if he's not contributing by year three. Harry for all his flaws has done SOMETHING where Keene has not.

Yeah I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing. I just blurted that out. My bad.

I feel like BB wants to go back to double TE formations and Josh didn't like the double TE set, he preferred using the FB. Well at least this is a clear signal where the offense is heading. But who's our OC gonna be?

So the question this year is two-fold: Who is the primarily play designer for the offense in 2022, and what does this person think the role of the FB should be? In a way, this might be evidence that Nick Caley is taking a bigger role in the offense. His background being in TE's, he will likely look to emphasize them a little more in his designs.
Caley was also responsible for the FB position.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back