PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jake Andrews, Sidy Sow

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Has Jake Andrews been practicing? Unless he goes to IR, he will be our backup center.

Has he gotten lots of reps? It seems that he is likely to be our 4th (usually inactive) OT.

Has Jake Andrews been practicing? Unless he goes to IR, he will be our backup center.

Has he gotten lots of reps? It seems that he is likely to be our 4th (usually inactive) OT.
Andrews is practicing, not sure how many reps, but I did see a blurb on twitter that he and Mafi popped during line drills today (pretty sure that it was from Dakota Randall of NESN, but I'm too lazy to double check).

There’s not really much to say right now other than participation (JAndrews backup RG, Sow backup RT) and the good 1 on 1 reps from each today. We’ll know a lot more after next week’s game.

I'm thinking about the roster. I think that Sow, Mafi and Andrews are locks as long as they are healthy. We will keep 3-4 OT's, perhaps depending on Anderson's ability to participate.

It will be very hard for any of the other backups to make the 53.

I don't think any of us know at this time how Steuber, Hines, Russey, Mafi, Andrews and Sow will work out. Mafi has gotten the most work.
Anderson hasn't practiced and Rieff has repped a lot but hasn't sounded great in reports.

My guess -- Russey , Hines and Murray will be cut.
McDermott and Steuber to PS
53 - reiff, Anderson, brown, Sow, Andrews m , J Andrews, strange, Onwenu, Mafi ( 9 linemen)
If we can keep only 8 then Mafi or sow will be moved to IR.

There’s not really much to say right now other than participation (JAndrews backup RG, Sow backup RT) and the good 1 on 1 reps from each today. We’ll know a lot more after next week’s game.

Sometimes the certainty around here, based on third hand reports of a few minutes of practice, are like "Name That Tune" where people compete to name a song in as few notes as possible.

For example, I can tell you right now which lineman will make the 53 based on how they walked coming onto the field today.

Sometimes the certainty around here, based on third hand reports of a few minutes of practice, are like "Name That Tune" where people compete to name a song in as few notes as possible.

For example, I can tell you right now which lineman will make the 53 based on how they walked coming onto the field today.
3rd hand reports?

OG/OC (5)
We are keeping our starters at year's end.
We are keeping 4th round draftee Andrews (we always do)
We drafted 5th rounder Mafi to make the team as the swing OG. IMO, he is a better choice than Russey, Murray and Hines.
We have choices if Onwenu starts on the PUP list.

OT (4)
Brown is making the 53.
Reiff and Anderson are being well paid to make the 53 (or retire or make the NFI list). McDermott is the alternative.
Sow is the #4 OT (4th rounders always make the 53)
=============
IMO, the key is that Sow is an OT, and we won't be keeping FIVE OT's.

Last edited:
3rd hand reports?

OG/OC (5)
We drafted 5th rounder Mafi to make the team as the swing OG. IMO, he is a better choice than Russey, Murray and Hines.

OT (4)
Brown is making the 53.
Reiff and Anderson are being well paid to make the 53 (or retire or make the NFI list). McDermott is the alternative.
=============

Yup, that all seems rational, based on a range of factors.

Yup, that all seems rational, based on a range of factors.
I feel keeping 10 OT might be the case for this year. Steuber or McDermott might make it as 10th offensive lineman. Hines and Russey unfortunately are just camp bodies unless injuries pile up.

Reiff may not make the 53, he has zero mobility. Could be a camp retirement situation.

I feel keeping 10 OT might be the case for this year. Steuber or McDermott might make it as 10th offensive lineman. Hines and Russey unfortunately are just camp bodies unless injuries pile up.
so, you are suggesting carrying 5 OT's?

Reiff may not make the 53, he has zero mobility. Could be a camp retirement situation.

Actually the dead cap is 4.15 million. Guaranteed is close to 3.5 . I am not sure if he can retire and pocket the money. It just looks like a horrible contract . Just threw money away.

Last edited:
He has 3 million guaranteed . Why will he take retirement . Is there any thing in his contract which will allow us to cut him ?
No idea, he just seems to be only a run blocker at this point. Guys are running around him with ease. That amount of money shouldn't stop him from getting cut. We'll see, the health of Anderson may open up a spot, unless he gets beat out by McD and Steuber.

3rd hand reports?

OG/OC (5)

OT (4)
Brown is making the 53.
=============
you make more sense. I don't see Anderson on the 53 at the start or ever. I see Brown, Strange, M Andrews, Onwenu, McDermott. No all stars but at the end of the year they were doing fine (IMO). It's a crap shoot with the interior backups. Mafi may have the best chance. Good that most of them have had opportunities as starters in camp. I think Hines may falter based on injuries. So several OL should end up on the practice squad. If Steuber or Sow show any real promise, Reiff might be a cut. I would be okay with that. If he isn't good enough to replace McDermott, then keep the younger player.

you make more sense. I don't see Anderson on the 53 at the start or ever. I see Brown, Strange, M Andrews, Onwenu, McDermott. No all stars but at the end of the year they were doing fine (IMO). It's a crap shoot with the interior backups. Mafi may have the best chance. Good that most of them have had opportunities as starters in camp. I think Hines may falter based on injuries. So several OL should end up on the practice squad. If Steuber or Sow show any real promise, Reiff might be a cut. I would be okay with that. If he isn't good enough to replace McDermott, then keep the younger player.
I'd like to see Anderson before making a call on him. I think if McDermott gets cut, he's getting snagged by a OT needy team. I think Reiff gets cut unless Anderson never makes it on the field.

Can we trade reiff to OT needy team there so that our loss is around 2-2.5 million instead of 4 million.

Can we trade reiff to OT needy team there so that our loss is around 2-2.5 million instead of 4 million.
There is an issue between the team and posters here.

The team thought that Reiff was worth $4.15 as one of our four OT's.

He has done nothing to make them believe that he isn't one of our OT's.

Postes want to "save" money by dumping Reiff. All they seem to saying is that they disagree with the signing.

The signing is as good today as it was when it was signed.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back