PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ivan Fears comments on the Running Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
For those of you that may be losing interest in the Randy Moss channel.

Sammy Morris still contributing off the field by Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal
Sammy Morris might not be getting many touches this season -- he has just two rushing attempts in the Patriots' last three games -- but he's still contributing in a big way off the field, running backs coach Ivan Fears said.

With veterans Kevin Faulk and Fred Taylor injured, Morris is the elder statesman of the group of running backs.

"He runs the running back meetings when we have our little individual meeting sessions and they're watching film and going through the reads and blitz pick-ups," Fears said. "He runs it. Heck, yeah, he's done a great job. Sammy's a great guy. You're talking about a guy that's not getting a lot of opportunities that's standing up strong for the team. He's a hell of a team player, no doubt about it. No doubt about it. He's one of the reasons that things function so smoothly around here with those guys. Any great player wants the ball. That's the nature of the game. When you're not getting a lot of opportunities and can still be able to stand in there and still be a team player? You have to appreciate that and we appreciate a guy like Sammy, no doubt about it."

Running backs coach Ivan Fears is hoping to have Fred Taylor back for the home stretch by Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald
On possibility of having Fred Taylor back: ”We’re going to need him somet ime. We really are. Fred’s a guy that’s played in those key games at the end of the year. He’s also played in pressure games. He’s played in bad weather. It’ll be exciting for me to have him back, no doubt about it. To have that experience and that playmaking ability back on the field, yes sir, I’d love to have him back.”

On Danny Woodhead handling blitz pickup: ”He’s done an excellent job. very effective as a blocker. He’s stood up against guys when he’s had to. cut em down when he’s had the opportunity to.”

On the dip in touches for Sammy Morris: ”Really no reason. We go into every week trying to utilize everyone. The game plan plays out how it as it plays out from one week to another . . . it varies from week to week as far as what’s going to be successful for us to win, and we’re going to do whatever it takes to win. The stuff we have for Sammy just hasn’t been dialed up for that game. But the next week, who knows?”

How do the Pats feel about having Logan Mankins back? "The guys are jumping for joy" says RB coach Ivan Fears by Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald
Fears: ”The guys are jumping for joy having another playmaker like that come back to us. We’re kind of excited about it. We can’t wait to see what he’s like on the practice field.”

Belichick: ”He’s been a great player and person for our football team. He’s tough. He’s smart . . . you just can’t have too many guys like that on your football team. We’re glad he’s back.”

Caserio: ”Logan’s been a good player for us. He’s been solid, he’s been reliable. I think he has a lot of the traits and characteristics we look for in players. It’s good to have him around here in the building.”

Last edited:
More comments from Fears

Fears pleased with progress of Woodhead by Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal
"We had seen his films," Fears said. "We saw him play for the Jets. The guys evaluate everybody in this league now, let's be honest. There are not too many guys that don't get evaluated upstairs. So they had an idea about the guy and the opportunity came - one, when we lost Kevin, and, two, he became available. And it was kind of, 'Well, let's see if this really is true that this guy's as good as we think he is.' We lucked out there. We lucked out and got ourselves a nice find."
"We call those guys playmakers," Fears said. "Those guys have that. That's why they're on the field. If you go back to Kevin Faulk and think of the catches Kevin made throughout the years -- one-handed grab in the end zone. Those guys have that ability. Randy Moss is one of the best deep threats in the history of the NFL. Danny has the little knack about him. He knows how to make things happen when he has the ball in his hands. That's what attracted us to the guy. He hasn't let us down. Boy, he hasn't let us down one bit. Those guys, that's something they have. They have the ability to make a play when given the opportunity, and those are the types of guys you win with."

Perhaps just as importantly, he's thriving in pass-blocking situations -- something not measured well by conventional statistics but something the Patriots need him to do.

"The guy is a very smart guy," Fears said. "He sees the defense very well. He understands the rules and assignments. He's done an excellent job of picking up our schemes. And most importantly, he's been dog-gone very effective as a blocker. He's stood up against guys when he's had to and he's cut them down when he had the opportunity to."

Caserio: ”Logan’s been a good player for us. He’s been solid, he’s been reliable. I think he has a lot of the traits and characteristics we look for in players. It’s good to have him around here in the building.”

. . as opposed to "out here on the field."

;)

Good stuff, especially on Woodhead.

jmt

Great thread. Interesting quotes.

Knew the players would be psyched to have Logan return from the fall harvest. :)

Watched tiny Woodhead block LBs Sunday. Mega!

Watched tiny Woodhead block LBs Sunday. Mega!
Yeah, I've been amazed at how well he has handled the pass rush so far - he looked very good in that department against Baltimore as I recall also.

Yeah, I've been amazed at how well he has handled the pass rush so far - he looked very good in that department against Baltimore as I recall also.

I've stood right next to Faulk rookie year. He's 5' 8" max but very stout & muscular. Haven't done the same with Danny Boy but at 5' 7" I've seen him on postgame TV in street clothes he's not that big above the waist. Maybe trunk like legs (Crable take note, you Girly Mon) but I can't tell. I was a Welker sized blocking back in college and remember the pain of dealing with 230 LB kids who couldn't play serious ball. Gotta admire Faulk & Woody.

I was a Welker sized blocking back in college and remember the pain of dealing with 230 LB kids who couldn't play serious ball. Gotta admire Faulk & Woody.
The trick is to hit them first. :stars2:

The trick is to hit them first. :stars2:

Precisely. Engage the enemy at a time and place of your choosing. Do not allow him to dictate the circumstances of the encounter. :cool:

I played sneak back in college...I'd wait outside the Dean's brownstone until he and wifey would go out for the night and then sneak back into the sack with the dean's daughter....:blush:

I played sneak back in college...I'd wait outside the Dean's brownstone until he and wifey would go out for the night and then sneak back into the sack with the dean's daughter....:blush:
Some people will do anything to get a good grade. :snob:

Slightly OT, but isn't Ivan Fears just the coolest name?

Great articles, love the stuff on Woodhead. What a pickup.

Last edited:
Having Taylor out for so long may play into the Patriots favor later on in the season. Having a fresher RB who has been a feature back and performed to a very high level will help spell BJGE and Woodhead.

Let's see shall we.

Having Taylor out for so long may play into the Patriots favor later on in the season. Having a fresher RB who has been a feature back and performed to a very high level will help spell BJGE and Woodhead.

Let's see shall we.

Exactly. See Shonn Greene last season. They barely used him in the regular season, he dominated in the playoffs when he was fresh and nobody else was, and then he went right back to being not great this season.

Exactly. See Shonn Greene last season. They barely used him in the regular season, he dominated in the playoffs when he was fresh and nobody else was, and then he went right back to being not great this season.

Morris has zero burst left and is pretty much done on the field, except maybe in a 3rd down/Faulk type role, as well as injury insurance. Great to have him here though as he is a classy and intelligent guy who's obviously a good influence on the young 'uns.

So far the BJGE/Woodhead tandem has worked, but Woodhead has a target on his back from now on and might be an injury waiting to happen. BJGE impressed the hell out of me Sunday. Couldn't be more excited about him and I hope the line can continue to open holes for him like they did on Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back