PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It will soon be time to overpay a free agent OT

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As I said yesterday, all 8 OT's likely enough to start at LT are gone. I suspect that we'll still draft an OT or two after trade down.

I'm sure there are folks who think that there is no problem drafting a starting LT in the 2nd or 3rd, even if they are the 9th or 10th best OT in the draft. Apparently, we tried to move up. We fans knew all was lost when our favorites Mims and Guyton were gone.

Sure, we'll give a go, probably drafting an OT after a trade down. Signing another veteran seems likely.

As I said yesterday, all 8 OT's likely enough to start at LT are gone. I suspect that we'll still draft an OT or two after trade down.

I'm sure there are folks who think that there is no problem drafting a starting LT in the 2nd or 3rd, even if they are the 9th or 10th best OT in the draft. Apparently, we tried to move up. We fans knew all was lost when our favorites Mims and Guyton were gone.

Sure, we'll give a go, probably drafting an OT after a trade down. Signing another veteran seems likely.
Agree pretty much. The meat at the top is wr and you go with McConkey, Mitchell or Coleman.

No way. There were several cheap options in FA we didn’t go for.

I do holdout hope Chuks Okrafor from Pittsburgh can be adequate at LT. If not, VLowe performed somewhat decently there unlike RT where he was execrable. And limited McDermott always goes down swinging.

No, the Giants signed a RT from the Raiders we should have pursued. Familiar name.

Wouldn't go anywhere near N'Keon Coleman.

I like Roman Wilson a lot, reminds me of Antonio Brown pre CTE
I’d stay away from DeKeoVante ParkColemaner

Or prioritize LT in next years draft. No rush especially if maye sits the year
Well, the good thing is we can have the computer play out the season and just skip to the next one, like in Madden.

Disagree. Maye is going to sit a year, they still have decent options on Day 2, and they will likely be picking between 8-15 next year, so they could get their franchise tackle there.

Poor Brissett. He’s being sacrificed this year.
That's what he's there for. You don't get Brissett and start him because you are trying to win a Super Bowl. He exists to get you through a season.

That's been his function for awhile.

Well, the good thing is we can have the computer play out the season and just skip to the next one, like in Madden.

Trying to go from the dumpster to a Lombardi overnight is a fool’s errand. If you want to build a team that truly contends every year, like the Patriots did for over 20 years, then it takes time and many very good decisions. I’m completely fine with them having a couple of bad seasons so they can build their team the right way, and contend for a long time. This is also why I want them to focus more on the best players available now that they have their QB, because you don’t become great taking lesser players. Fortunately for them there are still many players who are top prospects at positions they need.

Poor Brissett. He’s being sacrificed this year.

That was always the plan. I think Brissett is completely fine with being the QB mentor and taking the hits this year, because I think his long term goal is to become a coach, and he’s setting himself up for his future by taking these roles.

Trying to go from the dumpster to a Lombardi overnight is a fool’s errand. If you want to build a team that truly contends every year, like the Patriots did for over 20 years, then it takes time and many very good decisions. I’m completely fine with them having a couple of bad seasons so they can build their team the right way, and contend for a long time. This is also why I want them to focus more on the best players available now that they have their QB, because you don’t become great taking lesser players. Fortunately for them there are still many players who are top prospects at positions they need.
No, I know. I'm just annoyed they didn't overpay for a tackle in free agency, knowing that most of the good ones would be gone by the time they picked in round two. I think there was hope they'd trade up into round one to get Guyton, but it wasn't to be and now it's too late in free agency.

That was always the plan. I think Brissett is completely fine with being the QB mentor and taking the hits this year, because I think his long term goal is to become a coach, and he’s setting himself up for his future by taking these roles.
By getting physically mauled? Or taking the $$ to get physically mauled? Or getting pics of Kraft at a Day Spa?

By getting physically mauled? Or taking the $$ to get physically mauled? Or getting pics of Kraft at a Day Spa?

To be the mentor to their young QB. And it was Tom Brady who said his job was to deliver the ball and take hits, that’s what QB’s do.

The Tackle class is deep but mostly at Right. There's still 2-3 very good potential LTs in Kingsley Suamataia, Patrick Paul and Kiran Amegadjie.

Disagree. Maye is going to sit a year, they still have decent options on Day 2, and they will likely be picking between 8-15 next year, so they could get their franchise tackle there.
Maye is 100% playing next year

Good thing we have a QB on a rookie deal and should get a good receiver at 34 on a rookie deal. We can overpay for an OT or draft one with our first pick next year.

I’d be delighted to have walked away from this draft having confidently shored up the QB and WR positions.

No, I know. I'm just annoyed they didn't overpay for a tackle in free agency, knowing that most of the good ones would be gone by the time they picked in round two. I think there was hope they'd trade up into round one to get Guyton, but it wasn't to be and now it's too late in free agency.

There are still good tackle prospects on the board (e.g. Patrick Paul), and then there are trade opportunities, next year’s free agency, and next year’s draft. But then again I’m not expecting much out of the 2024 Patriots, I want everything to be about 2025 and beyond.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back