PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It will soon be time to overpay a free agent OT

There are still good tackle prospects on the board (e.g. Patrick Paul), and then there are trade opportunities, next year’s free agency, and next year’s draft. But then again I’m not expecting much out of the 2024 Patriots, I want everything to be about 2025 and beyond.
I don't expect us to be good this year, but I think there's a very real potential by treading water, we'll be wasting a very good defense that might not still be there when a real offense is finally ready to take the field in 2025 or 2026.

Take Patrick Paul with the second pick.

Smaller school guy but has first round measurables and functional strength where he can probably start immediately if he's coached up.

Take Patrick Paul with the second pick.

Smaller school guy but has first round measurables and functional strength where he can probably start immediately if he's coached up.
I think he's a project, but since this year doesn't count anyway...

I think he's a project, but since this year doesn't count anyway...
The guy is coming from a small school but his measurables scream instant starter. I don't know anything about his personality or mental toughness but I don't think he could be counted out. The guy has some of the longest arms in the draft and benched it 30 times, he's long and strong.

This year counts... keep drafting smart and they can compete now.

It feels a little obtuse to ignore Okorafor, presumably because he was a RT with the Steelers, while seamlessly projecting the 4 first round college RTs over to LT.

The Tackle class is deep but mostly at Right. There's still 2-3 very good potential LTs in Kingsley Suamataia, Patrick Paul and Kiran Amegadjie.
Fixed it for you.

There's some tackle talent left. I may be inclined to take tackle first and WR later. Guys like Javon Baker and Tez Walker have upside that you can get in the late 2nd/early 3rd. Worst case, they still need a WR1 next year in a deep free agent class. A trade may also be possible for a 2025 pick once the 2024 picks have been used up.

I don't expect us to be good this year, but I think there's a very real potential by treading water, we'll be wasting a very good defense that might not still be there when a real offense is finally ready to take the field in 2025 or 2026.

I don’t think they should tread water, I think they should focus more on offense over the next year, but keep adding to the defense as well.

It feels a little obtuse to ignore Okorafor, presumably because he was a RT with the Steelers, while seamlessly projecting the 4 first round college RTs over to LT.
True. I think it’s a balance. If you’re not sure about a position, add a free agent and a pick and let them battle it out. Okorafor is worth a chance, but I’d pair him with a rookie and hope one turns into the guy.

That's what he's there for. You don't get Brissett and start him because you are trying to win a Super Bowl. He exists to get you through a season.

That's been his function for awhile.
his function is not to play without a LT

But what free agent OT is going to be worth signing?
I don't see an offensive tackle worth "over paying".
Pats may as well give whatever rookie is drafted some playing time experience, looking ahead to 2025.

Free Agent Offensive Tackles
Tyron Smith, Cowboys - signed with Jets
Jonah Williams, Bengals - signed with Cardinals
Trent Brown, Patriots - signed with Bengals
George Fant, Texans - signed with Seahawks
David Quessenberry, Vikings - re-signed with Vikings

David Bakhtiari, Packers; 32 - has missed 38 games due to injuries last three seasons
D.J. Humphries, Cardinals; 30 - has missed 11 games due to injuries last two seasons
Charles Leno, Washington - only missed four games last year but will soon turn 33
Jermaine Eluemunor, Raiders; 29 - edit: signed with Giants; career backup was not the answer anyways
Donovan Smith, Chiefs; 31 - bad enough to not be re-signed by two different teams in consecutive years
Duane Brown, Jets; 39 - almost 40 years old and spent 2023 on IR.

Anybody else available is a career backup/swing tackle with little to no starting experience:
Chris Hubbard, Cornelius Lucas, Billy Turner, Cameron Fleming, Brandon Parker, Kendall Lamm, etc.

Well, the good thing is we can have the computer play out the season and just skip to the next one, like in Madden.

Haha not doing that. Not being able to fill all the needs isn’t punting the season. So far i like the approach, take the obvious opportunities to fill each need as they come and don’t overspend/overreach on something not worth it. Besides, never know if we land a solid option in the mid rounds or if chuks can step in.

Right now im not seeing any opportunities to rush into spending. This just wasn’t a good year in fa for any of our big needs, next year may be better if ot doesn’t get filled this way or take one early in the draft. For now Id wait till closer to the season and watch the roster cut downs, then start looking at potential 1 year deals if theres still nobody truly worth a bigger deal.

It's not surprising that most/all of the guys who project the best at LT are gone in the first round. That's where those guys usually go. It was always going to be tough to "solve" two premium positions like QB and LT in the same draft. It'd be nice if you could just list your team needs and answer each of them with one pick after the other but unfortunately the board doesn't always fall like that. Particularly for us as a team where our top 4 needs on most list (QB, LT, WR, CB) are arguably the most premium positions in the game.

You can still take a project guy in round 3-4.

But focus on tackle next year. See if Chuks can play better than we think. He's better than what we've had behind Trent Brown at the position the last few years.

Would argue drafting Maye now gives us the flexibility to spend on one of WR/OT the next few seasons. Go find someone premium at one of those positions.

The Tackle class is deep but mostly at Right. There's still 2-3 very good potential LTs in Kingsley Suamataia, Patrick Paul and Kiran Amegadjie.
Actually cousin, Cooper Beebe can play both tackles and guard. Watch this guys tape....superb.
DW Toys

You can still take a project guy in round 3-4.

But focus on tackle next year. See if Chuks can play better than we think. He's better than what we've had behind Trent Brown at the position the last few years.
Sure, chewy and anderson plays great and sign with someone else next year.

So, we go into 2025 with Onwenu, a 3rd rounder and ?

This sounds like redux. We would be going into free agency, likely ready to sign a WR and hopeing we could patch togetner some combination of players at OT.

If teh 3rd rounder plays as well as 2024 chewy, we could still be 2 OT's short of being competitive at the position.

But what free agent OT is going to be worth signing?
May as well give whatever rookie is drafted some playing time experience, looking ahead to 2025.

Free Agent Offensive Tackles
Tyron Smith, Cowboys - signed with Jets
Jonah Williams, Bengals - signed with Cardinals
Trent Brown, Patriots - signed with Bengals
George Fant, Texans - signed with Seahawks
David Quessenberry, Vikings - re-signed with Vikings

David Bakhtiari, Packers; 32 - has missed 38 games due to injuries last three seasons
D.J. Humphries, Cardinals; 30 - has missed 11 games due to injuries last two seasons
Charles Leno, Washington - only missed four games last year but will soon turn 33
Jermaine Eluemunor, Raiders; 29 - former Patriot had been a career backup prior to 2022
Donovan Smith, Chiefs; 31 - bad enough to not be re-signed by two different teams in consecutive years
Duane Brown, Jets; 39 - almost 40 years old and spent 2023 on IR.

Anybody else available is a career backup/swing tackle with little to no starting experience:
Chris Hubbard, Cornelius Lucas, Billy Turner, Cameron Fleming, Brandon Parker, Kendall Lamm, etc.

I am officially OK at LT for now. We still might sign a cheap vet for camp competition.

The man we drafted is easily the best other than the first rounders.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back