PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It is good to be an above average QB: Flacco gets a$66.4 million extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Flacco is not a top tier QB, but he just got a $66.4 million (with $44 million signing bonus). That's what happens when a team signs a QB to a bad contract and then are forced to cave to his demands for an extension because his salary cap # is too big for the team to carry. The Ravens had no choice but extend Flacco and Flacco and his agent took advantage. He is currently the highest paid player in the league by all standards (per year, overall contract). He is going to make $125 million over six years at $20.8 million a year.

I would say Flacco is somewhere around the 8-11th best QB in the league. But based on salary, he is #1.

The Colts must be upset because Luck is going to command a contract that dwarfs Flaccos.

Flacco is not a top tier QB, but he just got a $66.4 million (with $44 million signing bonus). That's what happens when a team signs a QB to a bad contract and then are forced to cave to his demands for an extension because his salary cap # is too big for the team to carry. The Ravens had no choice but extend Flacco and Flacco and his agent took advantage. He is currently the highest paid player in the league by all standards (per year, overall contract). He is going to make $125 million over six years at $20.8 million a year.

I would say Flacco is somewhere around the 8-11th best QB in the league. But based on salary, he is #1.

The Colts must be upset because Luck is going to command a contract that dwarfs Flaccos.

Yeah, and Brady is the cheater.

He's pretty much crippling his roster with the contract money that he has been making.

With only $36m hitting the cap in the previous 3 years, the Ravens have to book $148m over the next 6 years, or almost $25m per year.

Flacco has shown the ability to be elite when it matters *Not that the regular season doesn't matter at all but* Have to hold on to him.

Flacco has shown the ability to be elite when it matters *Not that the regular season doesn't matter at all but* Have to hold on to him.

Yup. Give me Flacco over Peyton in the playoffs any day.

Flacco, whilst I respect his January temperament, has shown he needs a team of very good players around him to be effective. Minus Torrey Smith, he effectively collapsed.

We're very lucky to watch Tom Brady on a weekly basis. Mind you, nobody compares to the GOAT.

I would say Flacco is somewhere around the 8-11th best QB in the league.

Here are 10 QBs who are clearly better than Flacco and need no argument. Even at his best, Flacco can't compete with these guys at their best. He is also incapable of carrying a team the way they can.

1-10 (in no order)
Brady
Rodgers
Wilson
Newton
Roethlisberger
Luck
Brees
Romo
Rivers
Palmer

You would have to put him into the next tier, where he may fall somewhere somewhere closer to average than above average It's hard to argue he has a notable edge over these guys either...only if you really believe his postseason success is part of his skill set and likely to repeat itself, rather than just a statistical anomaly (I believe the latter.)

11-15 (in no order)
E. Manning
Dalton
Ryan
Stafford
Flacco

16-17 (16.5)
Alex Smith (takes both spots to signify you have reached the average quarterback line, where exactly half of the league's QBs are better and half are worse.

Then you have guys who appear to have a bigger ceiling than Flacco who may surpass him soon but too early to tell. Carr (probably already has), Winston, Mariota, Bortles, Cousins, Bridgewater. You also have guys who are certainly as capable as Flacco if they have the right pieces: Fitzpatrick, Taylor, Tannehill, Bradford.

By the way, in all I've listed 24 quarterbacks besides Flacco, and there aren't many where you've looked at them and believed with conviction that Flacco is clearly better.

It's got elements of throwing good money after bad because of the outrageous 1st contract, but they didn't really have much of a choice here and that's not only to do with his cap number. You can list all the QBs better than him, but there are only very narrow options (likely with their own cap implications) by which they could actually acquire one of them. Flacco is 31 years old and unless they were going to blow up their team and start over with a rookie, well....

NFL contracts, like many other professions in life, aren't "he's 5th best so he gets the 5th most money". Even if it were it'd be too subjective, for example I'd take Alex Smith over everyone in your 2nd tier and even some in the top (all things considered...some based on age, injuries, or that they have like 138 children).

I don't know who this Joe Flacco is, and frankly, it sounds made up.

Flacco, whilst I respect his January temperament, has shown he needs a team of very good players around him to be effective. Minus Torrey Smith, he effectively collapsed...
Yep; after Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin were not on the field to draw DPI flags for him, Jump Ball Joe Flaccid became in 2015 who we thought he pretty much was the whole time.

wow you guys are biased.

Flacco is one of only 10 QBs in history to have 10 or more playoff wins. And, after Peyton retires, one of only 3 active QBs, the other two being Tom and Ben. Come on. Give the guy his due. He's performed when it matters.......... not once but repeatedly.

NFL starting quarterback playoff records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Flacco is 10-5, compare this to the average to pathetic post season records of first-ballot HoF guys like Peyton (14-13), Favre (13-11), Jim Kelly (9-8), Steve Young (8-6), Dan Marino (8-10), Aaron Rodgers (7-6), Drew Brees (6-5), Warren Moon (3-7).

COME ON.

So Brady's getting paid a quarter of what he's worth? :D

flacco has been a winner and has won a SB what i like to know is what the hell has Bradford done to get 18 million per year

wow you guys are biased.

Flacco is one of only 10 QBs in history to have 10 or more playoff wins. And, after Peyton retires, one of only 3 active QBs, the other two being Tom and Ben. Come on. Give the guy his due. He's performed when it matters.......... not once but repeatedly.

NFL starting quarterback playoff records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Flacco is 10-5, compare this to the average to pathetic post season records of first-ballot HoF guys like Peyton (14-13), Favre (13-11), Jim Kelly (9-8), Steve Young (8-6), Dan Marino (8-10), Aaron Rodgers (7-6), Drew Brees (6-5), Warren Moon (3-7).

COME ON.

Flacco performs in the playoffs (although many overrate his playoff record since he didn't actually perform very well in the playoffs until 2012. He was awful his first few years in the playoffs and was carried by the running game and the defense. See the 2009 season playoff game vs the Pats where the Ravens could have played without a QB and routed the Pats in that game (they pretty much did). He did play great in the playoffs in the 2012 and 2014 seasons though.

He is an above average QB. He has been great in the playoffs the last two seasons the Ravens have gotten in, but let's not go overboard putting him in the same category as some of the QBs you listed.

I would take Flacco over Luck, Palmer, Brees, Rivers, and Romo...and maybe even Cam... (Unless he has another year like this one, I'm not sold yet)

He's no TB12 obviously but he's proven and even though that's a ton of money, the alternative is far worse

If I need another QB for just next season, and all of the following are not limited by health issues,
then I would rather have all of Palmer, Brees, Rivers and Romo ahead of Flaccid.
Andrew Suck & Cam Newton are the only ones on that list I wouldn't want ahead of him.

Flacco performs in the playoffs (although many overrate his playoff record since he didn't actually perform very well in the playoffs until 2012. He was awful his first few years in the playoffs and was carried by the running game and the defense. See the 2009 season playoff game vs the Pats where the Ravens could have played without a QB and routed the Pats in that game (they pretty much did). He did play great in the playoffs in the 2012 and 2014 seasons though.

He is an above average QB. He has been great in the playoffs the last two seasons the Ravens have gotten in, but let's not go overboard putting him in the same category as some of the QBs you listed.

I said he has a better playoff record, as in W/L ratio. That's just a fact and not subjective.

Similarly when I say he's one of only 10 QBs in history with 10 playoff wins, that's also a fact. Or that after Peyton retires he'll be one of only 3 active QBs with 10 playoff wins.

ravens are finished, thank god. miserable organization.

Why? Because they had a bad year due to injuries, including their top (defensive) player and both starting and backup QB?

In other words, what makes you so confident that they "are finished?" Personally, I expect them to compete at a fairly good level and vie for a postseason spot just like any other year.

I say that rather confidently because they are generally about a 9-7 team anyway, so it's not like the bar has been set all that high to begin with. Unfortunately, they can be a pain in the ass come playoff time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand