PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Trey Lance worth Patriots to trade up to get?

And if you use three first round draft picks on a QB just to get a QB high in the first round and he sucks, you set your franchise back for like a half decade. That is why you see a lot of teams that chase QBs high being consistent losers. I mean how many first round draft picks have the Jags, Browns, Bucs, Washington, Titans, and Jets wasted on QBs? The Bucs and Titans didn't even become good until they acquired veteran QBs via trade or free agency.

Uhm, how many misses have BillB made in the past 5yrs in the draft? Those are wasted picks and time, no?

fair enough, but being “pegged” does not make him the second best player in this draft.
It's arguable for me. I think he may be. But the other candidates are Penei Sewell and maybe a receiver. I would say in terms of impact, which is how we choose MVP every year, it might very well be Fields.

It's arguable for me. I think he may be. But the other candidates are Penei Sewell and maybe a receiver. I would say in terms of impact, which is how we choose MVP every year, it might very well be Fields.
Good morning Cousins, Had a great Sunday breakfast of Finish pancake (a Sunday tradition). FYI it is like a custard consistency made within a soft pancake shell baked in a deep dish pan, plus fried ham all smothered in freash blackberries, maple syrup. With orange juice and a mug of peppermint mocha coffee present with me after breakfast beside my computer.

I have to agree with other evaluators. Fields is a top ten NFL prospect but not a even top five when infused with other picks on talent. Lance might be out vof the top ten. His status is purely potential as he has minimal starts. If you look at the "Big Board" of most Draft guesstimate surveys, Jones is not even to[p twenty, or in some cases top thirty.

Would I like to have any of those 3 as a future consideration? yes. They have to be better than Stidham. Yet you listen to the Pats front office hype about Stidham and Robert Kraft's love for the kid, and we should all forget Tom Brady. He must be the best practice QB in the history of the NFL. I have not seen a thing about this kid when he is behind center.

Mixed feelings about this Draft. I think the blueprint was; our roster rotted last year and we really need some studs.
1-The Draft is for all intensive purposes, a three year gestation period where you will know what you have gotten with said player. Do we have three years to see what we have , or do we take proven NFL players in numbers so the majority, not all we know, work out as Patriots.
2-Under Monte and Nick C, no matter how we praised them, our Drafts have been dog poop. Many posters here have done better Drafts and we do have enough information with media and film to make an intelligent pick.
3-We have plenty of Draft capital to actually reach a QB........but is that player a Josh Rosen or a Tom Brady?
4-Should we kick the tires on a guy like Mills who was rated as a better prospect than most of the top five QBs in this Draft but for a knee injury he is now recovered from. Will we be embarrassed by Kiper, Casserley, Herbstreit, Jeremiah or the blogs from all the smart kids, who believe they are the sole authority and pooh=pooh us for passing on Fields, Lance etc. Remember, these are just kids, All the B.S. Talk in the world will not make their careers.
5- So to summarize, get the proven product in FA and make a decision on choosing to move up which was a dismal failure for the Bears yet the Cowboys waited until later Rounds to Draft Dak.
6- Now the decision.....take a blue chipper non-QB that has fallen to you at pick #15 who can help you in 2021, or take a "definite maybe" QB at the top of the Draft by pulling down your pants and trading up. My suspicions are that BB just turned 69....I don't think he is concebtrating on who the Pats QB is when he reaches 72.
7-Don't turn down a good second tier QB like Mills, Trask or Mond.

I think that Lance is the mystery surprise. He would intrigue me over Fields (I have the Ohio State QB disease)

I like Mills more everyday but Trask is not chopped liver. Look at his stats compared to Fields, Wilson and Jones:

Completion %=Trask 67.9% completion, Fields 68.4% completions, Jones 74.3% completions. Wilson 67.6% completions

TDs vs INT-Trask 69 TD's and 15 INT, Fields 67 TD's and 9 INT, Jones 56 TD's and 7 INT, Wilson 56 TD's and 15 INT

QB Rating- Trask 168.5, Fields 178.6, Jones 197.6. Wilson 162.9

Wilson will be the #2 pick, I can't use Lance here because of limited game statistics but yet we ignore Trash who had the most TDs of the grouping. He had 4 times as many rushing TDs and Jones at 8.

Trask beats Wilson in every major category.

Is he prefect? No. Would he be my first choice? No

Just pointing out that He should not be ignored.

Some like Mond. He is a 59% passer with a 132 rating. I say no on Mond

Because of injury Mills had only 14 games but his completions were still a very respectable 65.5% completions

So I am glad we hit the FA agressively. If we can trade up, I think Lance would be fun. Kind of think we should stay at $15 and go Mills or Trask later and take a stud who can play in 2021 at that pick.
Thoughts?
DW Toys

Good morning Cousins, Had a great Sunday breakfast of Finish pancake (a Sunday tradition). FYI it is like a custard consistency made within a soft pancake shell baked in a deep dish pan, plus fried ham all smothered in freash blackberries, maple syrup. With orange juice and a mug of peppermint mocha coffee present with me after breakfast beside my computer.

I have to agree with other evaluators. Fields is a top ten NFL prospect but not a even top five when infused with other picks on talent. Lance might be out vof the top ten. His status is purely potential as he has minimal starts. If you look at the "Big Board" of most Draft guesstimate surveys, Jones is not even to[p twenty, or in some cases top thirty.

Would I like to have any of those 3 as a future consideration? yes. They have to be better than Stidham. Yet you listen to the Pats front office hype about Stidham and Robert Kraft's love for the kid, and we should all forget Tom Brady. He must be the best practice QB in the history of the NFL. I have not seen a thing about this kid when he is behind center.

Mixed feelings about this Draft. I think the blueprint was; our roster rotted last year and we really need some studs.
1-The Draft is for all intensive purposes, a three year gestation period where you will know what you have gotten with said player. Do we have three years to see what we have , or do we take proven NFL players in numbers so the majority, not all we know, work out as Patriots.
2-Under Monte and Nick C, no matter how we praised them, our Drafts have been dog poop. Many posters here have done better Drafts and we do have enough information with media and film to make an intelligent pick.
3-We have plenty of Draft capital to actually reach a QB........but is that player a Josh Rosen or a Tom Brady?
4-Should we kick the tires on a guy like Mills who was rated as a better prospect than most of the top five QBs in this Draft but for a knee injury he is now recovered from. Will we be embarrassed by Kiper, Casserley, Herbstreit, Jeremiah or the blogs from all the smart kids, who believe they are the sole authority and pooh=pooh us for passing on Fields, Lance etc. Remember, these are just kids, All the B.S. Talk in the world will not make their careers.
5- So to summarize, get the proven product in FA and make a decision on choosing to move up which was a dismal failure for the Bears yet the Cowboys waited until later Rounds to Draft Dak.
6- Now the decision.....take a blue chipper non-QB that has fallen to you at pick #15 who can help you in 2021, or take a "definite maybe" QB at the top of the Draft by pulling down your pants and trading up. My suspicions are that BB just turned 69....I don't think he is concebtrating on who the Pats QB is when he reaches 72.
7-Don't turn down a good second tier QB like Mills, Trask or Mond.

I think that Lance is the mystery surprise. He would intrigue me over Fields (I have the Ohio State QB disease)

I like Mills more everyday but Trask is not chopped liver. Look at his stats compared to Fields, Wilson and Jones:

Completion %=Trask 67.9% completion, Fields 68.4% completions, Jones 74.3% completions. Wilson 67.6% completions

TDs vs INT-Trask 69 TD's and 15 INT, Fields 67 TD's and 9 INT, Jones 56 TD's and 7 INT, Wilson 56 TD's and 15 INT

QB Rating- Trask 168.5, Fields 178.6, Jones 197.6. Wilson 162.9

Wilson will be the #2 pick, I can't use Lance here because of limited game statistics but yet we ignore Trash who had the most TDs of the grouping. He had 4 times as many rushing TDs and Jones at 8.

Trask beats Wilson in every major category.

Is he prefect? No. Would he be my first choice? No

Just pointing out that He should not be ignored.

Some like Mond. He is a 59% passer with a 132 rating. I say no on Mond

Because of injury Mills had only 14 games but his completions were still a very respectable 65.5% completions

So I am glad we hit the FA agressively. If we can trade up, I think Lance would be fun. Kind of think we should stay at $15 and go Mills or Trask later and take a stud who can play in 2021 at that pick.
Thoughts?
DW Toys

Trask and Mills over Mond all day every day

Yes, it is worth trading up for Lance. HOWEVER, it seems that the best trade will be to #4, where we would draft Fields.

No, that would actually be the WORST trade.

No....Lawrence is the only can’t miss

none of the other ones are worth giving up 3-4 potential starters....Fields is intriguing but the other ones may as well all be josh rosens until proven otherwise
But what if those 3-4 picks turn into Lawrence Maroney, Dominic Easley, Brandon Meriwether, and Ras-I level players?

And say Trey Lance turns into Watson, minus the handjobs?

This draft either bb gets it together and scores some wins, or we continue to spiral downward toward Jetsville.
Not if he drafts Christian Hackensack. Super Bowl bound baby!!!

But what if those 3-4 picks turn into Lawrence Maroney, Dominic Easley, Brandon Meriwether, and Ras-I level players?

I guess then you could be out of work.

*Not the scouting, the other stuff.

But what if those 3-4 picks turn into Hightower, Jones, Seymour, and Gronk and the pick turns into Dwayne Haskins or Josh Rosen?

Not if he drafts Christian Hackensack. Super Bowl bound baby!!!

2018 - super bowl
2019 - playoffs
2020 - losing my record

I see a pattern here!

now look at the draft classes from 2018 and 2019 and see the definition of the toilet bowl spiral! And we all know which team is perennially at the bottom of the toilet bowl spiral!

2018 - super bowl
2019 - playoffs
2020 - losing my record

I see a pattern here!

now look at the draft classes from 2018 and 2019 and see the definition of the toilet bowl spiral! And we all know which team is perennially at the bottom of the toilet bowl spiral!
Are you simply ignoring the free agent additions? If we traded for a QB tomorrow (Mariota, Jimmy or Bridgewater), we would likely to win a couple of playoff games. The draft is gravy.

Are you simply ignoring the free agent additions? If we traded for a QB tomorrow (Mariota, Jimmy or Bridgewater), we would likely to win a couple of playoff games. The draft is gravy.
It’s the other way around. In a hard cap, the draft is the cornerstone for which your team is built. FA is gravy.

This draft either bb gets it together and scores some wins, or we continue to spiral downward toward Jetsville.
The Pats fell to 7-9 last year after 20 years of total domination and have filled a lot of holes this year. That's a long way from jeteville.

As for the value of trading up to get Lance, we won't know the answer to that unless it happens.

"continue to spiral downward toward Jetsville". Wow !!
Yeah, that one caught my eye too. I was trying to think of something that would actually compare to spiraling downward toward jeteville and the only thing I could think of was being on the Titanic.

It’s the other way around. In a hard cap, the draft is the cornerstone for which your team is built. FA is gravy.
Rams are showing there may be other ways to do it. Anyways I think drafts outside QB should be BPA and then fill need with free agency.

Rams are showing there may be other ways to do it. Anyways I think drafts outside QB should be BPA and then fill need with free agency.
Their method is not sustainable.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back