PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this the worst tasting win in your memory??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people keep pointing out the bad plays the Jets left on the field (Hill's catch, Sanchez's INT, Cromartie dropping an INT) but don't point out the plays the Pats left on the field (Lloyd's issues, Spikes dropping an INT, Mayo's near miss sack)?

Is there such a thing as a bad win? I've always said no. But if there ever was such a thing, it was this one.

One thing that bothered me especially was the lack of pass rush. On some throws, I could swear Sanchez was tanning in the pocket.

My question to you is ya we beat with some luck a 500 team at home when we were heavily favored..Are we a Superbowl contending team..IMO as of today I say no !!!

Honestly... this team has flaws. So does every other team in the NFL we just focus on ours more cause we are pats fans.

Believe me if we make the playoffs the opposing team will have us on their top 1 or 2 do not want to play list. This team is to talented to not be, we just happen to be young and inexperienced and have a glaring weakness in pass D.

Who knows maybe McCourty to FS could be the change we need.

The STL defense is for real, you can believe that. They are an aggressive and physical team who will likely do a great job instantly stuffing the run and attempting to pressure the QB.

I felt better about the game last week than I do today, especially due to the fact that this secondary will easily make ANY opposing WR look good.

We'll hear all week about how they don't have anyone etc, etc--and at the end of the day I certainly expect a win, but I would not take them lightly under the current circumstances.

What is concering about next weeks game is Bradford.....granted the only time the Pats ever faced him was in his rookie season and it was a preseason game,but Sam carved up the Pats secondary witn 15 of 22 for 189 yards

Expect Sam to have 300 to 400 yards like all other QBs who play the Pats,if the team stops Jackson it will help the cause,but this wil be a tough game and make no mistake,Jeff Fisher is still a very good coach.

The team lucked out by the Rams not having Amendola to add to their weapons.

Last edited:
What is concering about next weeks game is Bradford.....granted the only time the Pats ever faced him was in his rookie season and it was a preseason game,but Sam carved up the Pats secondary witn 15 of 22 for 189 yards

Expect Sam to have 300 to 400 yards like all other QBs who play the Pats,if the team stops Jackson it will help the cause,but this wil be a tough game and make n mistake,Jeff Fisher is still a very good coach.

I'll be starting Givens with extreme prejudice. ;) Kid is almost averaging 30 ypc. Electric.

One thing that bothered me especially was the lack of pass rush. On some throws, I could swear Sanchez was tanning in the pocket.

Longoria could have blocked for Sanchez and protected him well

Why do people keep pointing out the bad plays the Jets left on the field (Hill's catch, Sanchez's INT, Cromartie dropping an INT) but don't point out the plays the Pats left on the field (Lloyd's issues, Spikes dropping an INT, Mayo's near miss sack)?

Fair point. I'd say probably because Jers had some high profile flubs in the crunch while Pats were interspersed.

How catchable was Lloyd pass at end of regulation? I never saw good look at replay.

Wins never taste bad to me. Sure, it wasn't the prettiest win, but a win, in the division to a team a detest to the very soul of my being? No.... It still tastes pretty good.

Face it, there came a point in the middle of the 4th that we all had that sinking feeling and said..... "we're gonna lose this thing"...... but here's the thing........... WE ACTUALLY DIDN'T.

Brady had to "sack up" and score some points at the end of a game and the defense had to MAKE A PLAY to seal a win........ two things that have been noticeably lacking as of late. We did both tonight. I refuse feel bad about that.

See my previous post. I'm a pretty even keeled individual and fan. Wasn't pissed at Card or Ravens losses. They were understandable. But why can I not critique a loss? Just because the team won? That's all that matters as regards the rest of the teams season?

How do you think the coaches feel about this win? How do you think those Monday meetings are going to go? How do you think the defensive film breakdown meetings will be? How happy do you think Brady is about this one?

It's great to get a division win and 4-3 is a hell of a lot better than 3-4 but as of right now you put this team on a neutral field with the Giants or Texans and they are losing 7 out of 10 times. Maybe you're content to have them make the playoffs and watch them blow another two score lead in the fourth but I'm not. I'd like to see some improvements on D and the offense close a good team out before getting my hopes up for the 2012 Patriots.

If the past two SB losses and a bunch of the other recent losses by the Pats haven't taught you how overrated this is... I don't ever know where to start. The Pats did what they've been torn apart for being unable to do. Now the problem with the fans is that they didn't do it timely enough or good enough? Quick news flash if McC didn't fumble the return and the Pats drove down and scored a TD then game's suddenly not "close" and the not clutch tag is maintained.

Anytime you win a close game there's going to be a bunch of things you could've done better. It's a defining quality of them... Fans are just mystifying... If you want to critique the game go for it, but bring some reasonable arguments not the crap that's been presented in this thread.

If the past two SB losses and a bunch of the other recent losses by the Pats haven't taught you how overrated this is... I don't ever know where to start. The Pats did what they've been torn apart for being unable to do. Now the problem with the fans is that they didn't do it timely enough or good enough? Quick news flash if McC didn't fumble the return and the Pats drove down and scored a TD then game's suddenly not "close" and the not clutch tag is maintained.

Anytime you win a close game there's going to be a bunch of things you could've done better. It's a defining quality of them... Fans are just mystifying... If you want to critique the game go for it, but bring some reasonable arguments not the crap that's been presented in this thread.

How is the bolded overrated? Right now if you had to bet your life on who would win a game between Pats/Giants and Pats/Texans you'd bet on the Pats? Whatever the semantics my point is that the Pats right now are not playing elite championship football. I think we can all agree on that. I'm looking big picture.

I mean, you're attacking my critique when one of your defenses involves a Pats Td drive in an alternate universe where they don't fumble a kick off. :p

It's safe to say that the Jets lost this game by their own mistakes,the Pats lucked out,the Jets beat themselves.

A Hill catch instead of that drop at the 15 pretty much seals that game,and if Sanchez doesn't fumble,who knows?

Also Rex was an idiot for not going for the TD before the first half ended,the Jets were carving up the Pats on that drive.

News flash - We won the game.
Wins never taste as bad as losses.
So if you can't take watching this team, go watch some other team.

It is in mine.

I have lived through a lot in the past 40 years of rooting for the Pats; but this was just horrible. The end of the game I was just sitting there going - this is NOT a Patriots team I recognize.

The #1 offense MY AZZ!!!!! - 17 freakin pts in regulation and 3 of those in the last 90 secs against a PREVENT[-YOURSELF-FROM-WINNING] defense 3 man rush.

Hernandez couldn't hold a block on running plays to save his butt and couldnt catch anything that wasnt laid like a lollipop to him.

Mr acrobatic (Lloyd) dropped more balls that brady put ON TARGET to him than I can count; ok maybe was only 3 or 4; but that is only cause they had to pull him and put Branch in cause TB couldn't trust him anymore.

The D hardly laid a glove on Sanchize the entire game until the 4Q. and then he started hitting trifectas on us. They showed the graphic at one point in the 4th season avg 167 or so pass yd per game - today 270+ and that was before the end of the 4Q and OT.

Even the Run D was getting gashed for at least 2-4 yds on every play for a while.

But that is nothing compared to the pass D. Great switch moving McC to safety - now the S is no longer the SEIVE but instead we have arrington playing CB. God help us. How many did he give up today. To think I used to like him. And the # of PIs. Hell in the OT they have shown that they have gotten such a bad rap that all the O wr has to do is run right at the DB. The ref will give you a 5 yd 1st down because 'those Pats are always holding'. At one point in Zone coverage they showed the overhead and they said it "EVERYBODY IS OPEN". God help us. Either they cover and give up a PI or they let them run wild and get 20+ yards.

Thank god that Ghost at least didn't freak up a makeable kick like vs Az.

This game very easily could have gone the other way; AND IT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSE.

Maybe I am just lit up here at 2 am cause of deciding to get drunk mid-way thorugh the 4Q. But this team is really starting to PEE ME OFF.

MR KRAFT - ONE DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER WITH THE PRODUCT ON THE FIELD.

Sorry but I just dont get it. This team has more talent and better coaching than this. Apologies to all for the rant - I am grateful for the win; but up til now I really thought we were a top tier team. After that debacle (AT HOME NO LESS); I just dont see this team making it come January. There is a long season left; and maybe they can MORPH between now and then; but right now this is PUTRID and again I DONT KNOW WHY they have all the pieces (I thought).

It's safe to say that the Jets lost this game by their own mistakes,the Pats lucked out,the Jets beat themselves.

A Hill catch instead of that drop at the 15 pretty much seals that game,and if Sanchez doesn't fumble,who knows?

Also Rex was an idiot for not going for the TD before the first half ended,the Jets were carving up the Pats on that drive.
If "ifs and buts were candy and nuts every day would be effing Christmas." But they aren't. This spoiled fanbase can't even enjoy a division tie breaking win over fierce rival anymore. If Welker catches that pass last February we win the SB. If Tyrhee's Helmut doesn't catch that pass, we win that SB too. But none of that happened. Why can't you accept good fortune as well as you accept bad luck? Lighten the eff up...

Last edited:
How is the bolded overrated? Right now if you had to bet your life on who would win a game between Pats/Giants and Pats/Texans you'd bet on the Pats? Whatever the semantics my point is that the Pats right now are not playing elite championship football. I think we can all agree on that. I'm looking big picture.

I mean, you're attacking my critique when one of your defenses involves a Pats Td drive in an alternate universe where they don't fumble a kick off. :p

It's overrated because the Pats have been the team that wins those games 7/10 times over many of the past few seasons. It's overrated because the best team week 7 rarely wins the SB. I'd likely bet on the other guys right now. I think you don't understand what the term "big picture" means if you're only worried about right now.

So your odds of victory based purely on your opinion are some kind of invaluable, concrete critique, but pointing out that what certain posters were asking for from this team to close out the "close" game would've made the game not "close" is me living in fantasy land. I guess that's just more looking at the "big picture" of which team is playing their best football right now...

Could it have been prettier? Yes.

Bottom line, the Pats won over the jets, are 2-0 against division opponents, and are #1 in the AFCE. Hard to dislike that.

So my answer to the OP is No. Hell no.

It is in mine.

I have lived through a lot in the past 40 years of rooting for the Pats; but this was just horrible. The end of the game I was just sitting there going - this is NOT a Patriots team I recognize.

The #1 offense MY AZZ!!!!! - 17 freakin pts in regulation and 3 of those in the last 90 secs against a PREVENT[-YOURSELF-FROM-WINNING] defense 3 man rush.

Hernandez couldn't hold a block on running plays to save his butt and couldnt catch anything that wasnt laid like a lollipop to him.

Mr acrobatic (Lloyd) dropped more balls that brady put ON TARGET to him than I can count; ok maybe was only 3 or 4; but that is only cause they had to pull him and put Branch in cause TB couldn't trust him anymore.

The D hardly laid a glove on Sanchize the entire game until the 4Q. and then he started hitting trifectas on us. They showed the graphic at one point in the 4th season avg 167 or so pass yd per game - today 270+ and that was before the end of the 4Q and OT.

Even the Run D was getting gashed for at least 2-4 yds on every play for a while.

But that is nothing compared to the pass D. Great switch moving McC to safety - now the S is no longer the SEIVE but instead we have arrington playing CB. God help us. How many did he give up today. To think I used to like him. And the # of PIs. Hell in the OT they have shown that they have gotten such a bad rap that all the O wr has to do is run right at the DB. The ref will give you a 5 yd 1st down because 'those Pats are always holding'. At one point in Zone coverage they showed the overhead and they said it "EVERYBODY IS OPEN". God help us. Either they cover and give up a PI or they let them run wild and get 20+ yards.

Thank god that Ghost at least didn't freak up a makeable kick like vs Az.

This game very easily could have gone the other way; AND IT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSE.

Maybe I am just lit up here at 2 am cause of deciding to get drunk mid-way thorugh the 4Q. But this team is really starting to PEE ME OFF.

MR KRAFT - ONE DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER WITH THE PRODUCT ON THE FIELD.

Sorry but I just dont get it. This team has more talent and better coaching than this. Apologies to all for the rant - I am grateful for the win; but up til now I really thought we were a top tier team. After that debacle (AT HOME NO LESS); I just dont see this team making it come January. There is a long season left; and maybe they can MORPH between now and then; but right now this is PUTRID and again I DONT KNOW WHY they have all the pieces (I thought).

This is moronic. We had FOUR -- count 'em, FOUR -- starters missing from this game: both guards and both safeties. And the Patriots STILL WON!!! This victory against a hated division rival is great cause for CELEBRATION, not whining. You embarrass yourself, Gumby.

Brady leading,Gost comin through twice and Our D rush makin BIG plays on OT game ending drive was definitely clutch. Don't get me wrong I won't go as far as a bad tasting win and I'm thrilled we got a W But....

Did it have to be this hard/close? Lloyd's opening drive drop wide open kind of set how rest of this day was gonna go. Then wassup with offensive personel put on field from git'go?! It felt like BB said ok Rex your boitchin & moanin about our hurry-up no-huddle bein illegal for his sub pkgs to come in I'll play it conservative and do opposit. Play you straight up. There was no real rhythm, where was Welker in familiar slot, where was Ridley running as a featured back and more importantly WHERE WAS OUR HURRY-UP NO-HUDDLE our next series after Lloyd dropped that opening drive ball?! BB should have set'da tone from beginning, stop bein cute and do to them what he did to Denver. Again I'm happy we won guess I'm just biased to Welker starting and bein targeted frequently and Ridley in as well. I knew we were in good shape when BB put on his cut-off hoody at half time.

play the if game all you want...pats won...which is what we want...right? :bricks:

Enjoy a W for once

Last edited:
play the if game all you want...pats won...which is what we want...right? :bricks:

Enjoy a W for once

Part of me is enjoying the win.....the other part is having my hair stand up on end looking to SF and Hou in the upcoming schedule.

We HAVE to improve before then,cross your fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes