PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this man worth taking a flyer on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker healthy, hungry for another chance after release by Raiders

He sounds really motivated, and claims to be finally back to full health...could he perhaps fly under the radar at a veteran minimum, or do you want no part of him? He could perhaps serve a as solid #3 when Wes is healthy...

How bad do you have to be to be released by the Raiders? The lowest of the low I would imagine. Personally it would be great if he made it with the Patriots; nothing like sticking it to Al Davis, but it ain't gonna happen.

Of course Boddin was released by Detroit so go figure.

for the vet minimum i say sure, but i would guarantee he makes the team

Its not how bad he is, but how bad they over payed him a few years ago!

I think he's the best UFA WR left besides T.O, which won't happen.

He was a great WR with the Packers and Broncos, but stunk in Oakland. (even Moss was bad there).

Above all, he's hungry. I say get him.

Bad attitude, bad injury (experimental surgery), bad acquantances. If this guy had any more question marks, he'd be the Riddler.

He was in the limo when Darrent Williams was shot by gang members who drove up to the vehicle. Apparently Brandon Marshall was involved in an altercation at the club they were all at, and we know what an upstanding human being he is.

It's just things that make you go hmmm, but...

At Jones County Junior College, he was the teammate of a wide receiver who also wants to get off the west coast and who tied Jerry Rices' record for catches in consecutive super bowls and came away with MVP honors of the latter game......

Also, was it boldin or walker at FSU who played QB in the bowl game after everyone else had been suspended.....??

Bad attitude, bad injury (experimental surgery), bad acquantances. If this guy had any more question marks, he'd be the Riddler.

He was in the limo when Darrent Williams was shot by gang members who drove up to the vehicle. Apparently Brandon Marshall was involved in an altercation at the club they were all at, and we know what an upstanding human being he is.

Oh hmmmm

Just after 7 A.M. on June 16, 2008, Walker was found unconscious in Las Vegas, Nevada, on a street just off the Las Vegas Strip. The previous evening, he had been at Body English, a nightclub at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas, and he left at around 3:30 A.M. the next day. After being found unconscious, Walker was taken to a local hospital with what police described as "significant injuries," including a concussion and a battered face. He was listed in fair condition and released from the hospital on June 18.[4] Police said Walker was the victim of an apparent robbery, as a large amount of cash and some jewelry were taken from him.[5] Police arrested two suspects, one in late June[6] and the other in early July.[7]

Javon Walker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What an irresponsible comment. What does Javon Walker have to do with Brandon Marshall? Jack squat.

Darrent Williams died in Javon's arms. There isn't a guy in the NFL who's been humbled more than Javon over the past three years. Not that he needed it. He's had tough injuries and tough life experiences, if he can still play, he is well worth the minimal dollars he'll command.

How bad do you have to be to be released by the Raiders? The lowest of the low I would imagine. Personally it would be great if he made it with the Patriots; nothing like sticking it to Al Davis, but it ain't gonna happen.

Of course Boddin was released by Detroit so go figure.

With Al Davis, you never know. We have seen that a guy like Moss was only bad because he was a Raider. But other former Raiders the Pats have added haven't worked out as well. Walker is only going to get an one year prove it contract at this point. If he has anything left it might be worth bringing him to camp. I seriously doubt he would make the team though.

Thanks RayClay, you're right, I do have alot of baggage no wonder why I want Marshall and T.O. I can relate to their MO.

Seriously though, in regards to T.O., I mean what is the risk ? I mean it's all upside. "IF" he starts mis-behaving on his one year deal and he starts to poison the lockeroom, GIVE HIM IS WALKING PAPERS right then and there, end of story! It's really that simple. He proved last year that he can behave for an entire season, we didn't hear anything out of him and he was playing in a crap offense. He had every reason to go off, but he didn't.

Terrell knows this is his last shot at a Superbowl and he would be a good soldier, I know he would be. Why not give it a shot, I think it would put us over the top.

Can you imagine Moss and TO on opposite flanks ?

Let's do it, an uncapped year, throw him an affordable one year deal. There is no risk, only upside, again, if he starts with his antics, it's simple, we send him packing and drop in the WR we draft or Tate depending on where his development is.

Seriously can someone tell me why this wouldn't be a good idea and what the downside would be compared to the upside knowing that we could just cut him ASAP if issues arise ?

Last edited:
What an irresponsible comment. What does Javon Walker have to do with Brandon Marshall? Jack squat.

Darrent Williams died in Javon's arms. There isn't a guy in the NFL who's been humbled more than Javon over the past three years. Not that he needed it. He's had tough injuries and tough life experiences, if he can still play, he is well worth the minimal dollars he'll command.

They were all together at a party where gang members later targeted the limo Walker was in and murdered the guy in the seat next to him.

He was found beat up and unconcious on a Las Vegas street at 7 A. M.

He took off and had experimental surgery without telling his team.

We had a chemistry problem on the team last year.

Is this the type of high character guy we want to introduce into the locker room? It's a legitimate question, I think.

Burgess sucked last year.... We are due for another good Raider!!!! Sign him up......

Well....we did sign David Patten afterall. I'd bring him in on a 1 yr test run and if it works out, great. Get him and Josh Reed and I think we'd be fine at receiver (provided they both play well). BTW, is Javon a deep threat kind of guy or a slot receiver? I don't watch any Oakland games, sooo...

T.O.? When Hell freezes over. Let him go to Oakland or the Bengals.

Walker? The one good thing about this is that the media jackals such as Felger/Borges/Callahan would get to see what a really bad character is and stop whining about Moss. Moss is Mother Teresa compared to Walker or T.O. but f*cktards such as Felger have nobody else to pick on. Walker would be perfect for that role.

Well, in fairness to Walker, he seems to be an innocent bystander to the murder (and Williams was an innocent victim). It was Marshall and his cousin who provoked the response that got Williams killed.

Thanks RayClay, you're right, I do have alot of baggage no wonder why I want Marshall and T.O. I can relate to their MO.

Seriously though, in regards to T.O., I mean what is the risk ? I mean it's all upside. "IF" he starts mis-behaving on his one year deal and he starts to poison the lockeroom, GIVE HIM IS WALKING PAPERS right then and there, end of story! It's really that simple. He proved last year that he can behave for an entire season, we didn't hear anything out of him and he was playing in a crap offense. He had every reason to go off, but he didn't.

Terrell knows this is his last shot at a Superbowl and he would be a good soldier, I know he would be. Why not give it a shot, I think it would put us over the top.

Let's do it, an uncapped year, throw him an affordable one year deal. There is no risk, only upside, again, if he starts with his antics, it's simple, we send him packing and drop in the WR we draft or Tate depending on where his development is.

Seriously can someone tell me why this wouldn't be a good idea and what the downside would be compared to the upside knowing that we could just cut him ASAP if issues arise ?

You know I was thinking of you, I love the AV, big Frank Gorshin fan.

OK, riddle me this. We had a problem with an otherwise upstanding player we targeted that affected our locker room so badly, we looked shell shocked against the ravens, just pitiful. Looks like we're dropping bad apples in Baker and trying to figure our what to do with Thomas, which could be a big loss in more ways than one. Randy Moss, for no fault of his own IMO, seems tormented by the media to the detriment of him and the team.

Why in the world would we want to introduce players with attitude and character questions into the locker room, when we have a lot of young players, and there are lots of talented high character players in the league?

I will point out that our overriding objective in 2001 was to bring in high character players, everyone knows this. that worked out pretty well.

[Bryan Cox the possible exception that proves the rule].

Last edited:
Seriously though, in regards to T.O., I mean what is the risk ? I mean it's all upside. "IF" he starts mis-behaving on his one year deal and he starts to poison the lockeroom, GIVE HIM IS WALKING PAPERS right then and there, end of story! It's really that simple. He proved last year that he can behave for an entire season, we didn't hear anything out of him and he was

I blame fantasy football for posts like this.

Teams are not the sum of the stats of their players. If this were so, we'd see Redskins and Bengals in the superbowl.

Players are not interchangable pieces defined by their stats.

There IS a risk signing a potential problem player. Any time you sign a player, it changes the dynamic. Even if you later cut him, you define your team by the players you sign. If you sign players who think they are bigger than the team, you can no longer say you want players to think team first.

You need to evaluate risk vs reward, and how you think that player is fit into YOUR (by which I mean the Pats FO's view) of how you want your team to be.

Dillon had a low risk and high reward. His problems were made of hating to lose. He may have acted out, but you could see in his reasons that football was important to him.

Moss was a little sketchier, but not to the hyper-extent of TO, to whom team means nothing.

Brandon Marshall may learn or he may not, but his behavior is me-based, and I cannot see him as a team player. While he may change you have to assume he won't. It's like if you date a married woman (or man if you are a woman), and she leaves her husband for you and marries you. You are now married to someone you KNOW cheats on their spouse. Anytime anything goes wrong, you have to be wondering ...

Javon walker? What does this say about a player (red mine):
Walker, who appeared in three games for the Raiders last season, traveled to Israel to have an experimental surgery (without the team's knowledge) in which cartilage from his knee was regrown, then inserted into the knee.

Finally, once a vet makes the starting roster, his salary is guaranteed for the entire year. You can't just cut a guy and be done with him as you suggest if he turns out to be a problem child (which will not show up into games are played, not in tc). You still pay him if you cut him.

Walker, who appeared in three games for the Raiders last season, traveled to Israel to have an experimental surgery (without the team's knowledge) in which cartilage from his knee was regrown, then inserted into the knee.

They were all together at a party where gang members later targeted the limo Walker was in and murdered the guy in the seat next to him.

Gee I've never been at a bar where a fight broke out. Especially on New Year's Eve. The fact is Darrent and Javon had little to do with it. It appears as though the bullets were intended for Marshall who had left the bar in a similar limo a bit earlier.

If the other incidents are as accurate as your portrayal of this night, I'll just disregard them altogether. Fact is, he's not the problem child you make him out to be. The real question is can he still play. On that, I have my doubts.

The biggest off field solid Deion Branch ever did for us was talking Javon Walker out of getting on that plane to even take a visit here...

Myra wouldn't let Bob write a check for Marshall even if Bill was inclined to, which he wouldn't be...

TO can't get off jams and doesn't even draw coverage anymore.

We are in the process of retooling our locker room for leadership. No way we are prepared to deal with any more headcases. And I don't want Brady wasting his valuable time and effort on reclamation projects who are available because they've either failed miserably or screwed up their careers because of immaturity and ego. Invest in impressionable young guys he can develop who might actually pay dividends over 4-5 seasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes