SOURCE:Patriots.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Panthers
Thu
Aug 22nd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Pats Best Rookie?
Chase Winovich is off to a terrific start here in preseason and looks to have a bright future ahead of him.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Is this Board Going to Lock up During Every Game? (Thread Reopened)

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by QB12, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +7,566
    I've seen that, and it's a good thought which will likely be included when I purchase the chat software.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. Ian

Ratings:
    +7,566
    Re: Is this Board Going to Lock up During Every Game?

Which is why we're on a dedicated server. This place would never run on a shared account for $9.95 a month. We'd shut the whole thing down :cool:

3. parthasas

parthasas Patriots Nation PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +453

Completely agree. so what db do we use underneath ... MySQL ??

4. Ian

Ratings:
    +7,566
    Also - the next step eventually will be adding another server that hosts just the database on its own and connecting the two, but that will add another couple of hundred dollars per month and unfortunately for now isn't in my budget, at least not in this economy. Like many of you I've also taken a hit thanks to this economy - and adding any more expenses each month will cause my wife to be less than thrilled with me. She's already less than pleased when the bill comes in each month, but that's the way it goes :cool:

If we reach a good number and hit our goal of at least getting the first server paid each month for the year, I'll make the move at that point. But it appears at least for now after dumping that table last night and looking at the server stats, it's amazing what a difference it's made. So I think we should be O.K. - and as I said I wish I had found out about this years ago.

5. Ian

Ratings:
    +7,566

You are correct - it's MySQL.

6. Frezo

Frezo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4

I own a 3000 member Yahoo group and totally understand what you're saying. At times it's a full time job. I'm setup for new member/first post approval and sometimes it's amazing what spammers think they can get away with. It's the type of group that has to be a great deal stricter than this one. One curse gets a member banned and politics and religion gets a strict reprimand. It's not as active as this though. The mods can be very busy here. In the end you all do a fine job.

7. ScrewDrvr

ScrewDrvr On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +4

yeah, if the board cant handle the first 2 preseason games, its gonna go out the day BEFOR the opener, lol.

8. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer ex-moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,381

Thanks, on behalf of the other mods. We have been told that we are either to loose or too strict. I guess we would not have to be either if people would just be civil to one another and follow the rules that they should have read when they registered.

We all have other things going on, such as work, family, or an occasional round of golf.:cool:

But we do look at every complaint, and sometime there are many, and do take action if we deem fit. Not every complaint warrants action. But when we do take action it's usually never seen by other posters.

And I will add that when we do give out an infraction or warning, we almost always get PM's from the person saying how innocent they are and it's either someone elses fault or we are just being mean to them.:D

9. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +556
    I have not read all of these comments because a thread like this is unesessary to begin with,Ian does his best to keep this site up and running and sometimes things happen like HEAVY traffic that can slow down or shut down websites,it happens ALL over the internet in popular sites,especially team websites so take it for what it is and deal with it.

For those who have not donated,please do so in the future when you can BUT....For those fans who don't donate AND complain,frankly IMO you have no business b!tching about anything so simply stop moaning and keep your mouth shut.

To me, people that don't donate here but still complain is like a hobo holding out a hat to get money and complaining that he doesn't want pennies.

10. Ian

Ratings:
    +7,566
    I have no issue with the complaining regardless of whether or not you donate - and I don't blame people for being frustrated. Truthfully this issue has been annoying, and has been since we've been dealing with it. I wish I had found out about this a couple of years ago so we could have completely avoided it - but hopefully now it's over and done with.

11. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25

You, Mr. Aceclown, are both too "loose" and too "strict." (Though how that relates to your moderating duties on the forum is another subject.) :snob:

12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,697
    I was the first one to suggest 3 years ago ... board should be members only during games. Too many trolls go to other boards and open up multiple windows to the same site... Ian did not like that idea ... with good reasoning ... but I still like to say it. Members only ... screw the trolls.:cool::cool::cool:

13. tbrown

tbrown Rookie

Ratings:
    +10

Ian, I know lots of people give you extremely well-deserved props all the time, but I would just like to add my thanks. I rarely post, mostly because I just like to learn more and more about the game every day from some excellent posters here, but I have loved the Patriots since the 80's and when this site came along, it was a dream come true. I do admit having the board down occasionally is slightly frustrating, but when that happens I know you are hard at work behind the scenes. Great job as always. And well done to all the mods as well.

14. QB12

QB12 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +844

I just made my donation to PatsFans.com. Frankly, I didn't know of such an option before, and I understand how some who have donated could interpret my question as whining from someone who's getting something for free.

Without divulging what I would rather keep private, Ian is a class individual, and deserves all of our thanks and appreciation for a job extremely well-done.

I don't expect my donation to be the tipping point towards a solution to the 'lock-up' problem that I originally posted about, but I offer the donation in good faith and in appreciation for Ian's time and dedication to the site.

QB12

15. Gunnails

Gunnails In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +121

=========================================

Name calling is weak Ju Ju, My apologies.
    ====================================================

Name calling is weak Ju Ju, I apologize. I no longer have dreams and aspirations, I am just a bitter Jet fan, somewhat myopic in my points of view.

16. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10
    At the end of the day it's really all about the quality of what's posted here and that quality has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not someone donates money. I pay no attention to the "supporter" tag when I want to read awesome insight about the Pats because good stuff comes from everybody.

There are many ways people Contribute to this site; I may contribute financially but think of it this way; if we had just one final post to read before this site disappeared forever, and that final choice was between my post and Box's for example. I know it's a tough choice but... :singing:

There are some really good posters here and that's what counts. If it weren't for the humor,insight,news and controversy that's discussed here the site wouldn't ever go down because nobody would ever bother to read it. Jussayin;)

17. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,248

I'm sure you fell better now :) I mean were else could you get so much fun and entertainment for .35 cents a week.

Seriously i use to spend $12-$15 dollars on draft magazines now i come here and get better insight by people that know what there talking about......most of the time. :p

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  18. Horace's Ivories

Horace's Ivories PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,308
    Is this Board Going to Lock up During Every News Release

Hi, is it possible to limit the visitors to subscribers during any signficant news release?

19. paranoia

paranoia Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I am new here so I won't give my opinion about everything that has been said, but almost the first thing I did was donate to help with server cost, I am a member of other boards about other things if I can't donate when I first join I wait till I come to a month when I can donate but I still join,whether I donate or not.

But I feel it is a choice I choose to make and I think it is a individual decision everyone makes for themselves .

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009