PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Terrance Newman next man up?! [Update: signs w/Vikings]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bucks

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Moderator edit: copying and pasting entire articles is forbidden, as it is an infringement of applicable copyright laws. Thank you...

What other sensitive situation is there like Butler to Saints that needs to play out over the next couple of days that allows Newman to call his new team.. interesting would he do vets min!?

Terence Newman says deal is 'imminent,' wants a shot at 'winning a ring'

“The only reason I’m playing the game right now is because I want a ring. That’s the one thing I was so happy about DeMarcus (Ware, who announced his retirement Monday). He was able to get a ring and that’s the epitome. And that’s the thing that everybody wants to attain. Some guys might play for money. Some guys don’t love the game, but they love the money. Me? I love the game and I want a ring. That’s the reason I play.

“I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t think I could win a ring. I wouldn’t try to play this game and go to a team that is ‘rebuilding’ or what have you. But the fact that I have an opportunity with a team that I know has a shot at winning a ring, that’s the part that, to me, is important. Because as an older player, you don’t want to be in a situation where you’re trying to do nothing but teach young guys. It gives me an opportunity to actually be able to teach young guys and be in a position where I can get a ring while playing.”

It’s worth speculating which team Newman might be on the verge of a deal with. Plenty of teams have needs in the secondary, but with Newman so confident that he’s got a chance at a championship, that narrows down the options quite a bit.​

He committed mutiny against the Vikings coaches in a game last year.

Ask Jamie Collins how that whole mutiny thing flies with BB.

i bet he signs with the browns for 14 million for one year. cause he needs that ring obviously.

Newman... to the Pats?

giphy.gif

:)

Isn't Morris Caliborne available ?

We don't need him. Might be good as a veteran leader/mentor but I wouldn't want him taking snaps over Jones and Jones

I think it's more likely that Newman goes to Denver or Pitt than comes here.

I'd honestly prefer to add another rookie CB and let Howe, Jones and Jones continue to develop.

Thought we were out of the Pre-Historic age...dude played when we had David Givens sheesh.o_O

10 years ago, Terrance Newman would have been a good signing.

How old is he now? 46? 47?

Thought Terrance Newman guess starred in Age of Extension.:D

He committed mutiny against the Vikings coaches in a game last year.
That story was sensationalized (I know, that's hard to believe, considering how high journalistic standards are these days). After those reports surfaced, the notion of a "mutiny" was completely downplayed by basically everybody involved.
Asked if either Newman or Rhodes ignored the game plan, Zimmer said “they played the coverage that was called, but they might have messed it up,” noting: “I can think of one specifically: There was one where we were playing a man within a zone, and both guys played zone, and we turned a guy loose. There’s things like that, but that happens every day.”

Asked again if his players intentionally went off book, Zimmer emphasized: “No. Never.”

Zimmer instead said that Rhodes was out of position for “one series, and I talked to him on the sideline, and that was that,” adding: “I don’t know why (Rhodes) would say (it was longer) … we corrected after the first series.”

Furthermore, Zimmer also effusively praised Newman a week or two after this report. Zimmer coached Newman in Dallas, Cincinatti, and in Minnesota. He said something like "blah blah blah, I have a long history with Terrance, I know and respect him deeply, blah blah blah."

There was smoke, but the media made the fire.

Last edited:
That answers that.

Is this guy better than anyone in our secondary at this point in his career?

Hilarious! He thinks Minnesota can win a superbowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes