PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Meriweather playing up to your expectaitons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
1st round picks usually come with very high expections... so, recognizing its just 2 games in, were you expecting him to make more of an impact?

For my part here's right where I expected him to be... maybe with Rodney out I thought he might be getting a little more time in beyond the dime packages he seems to be playing... but overall I just wasn't expecting BB to put a rookie on the spot in his defense - regardless of where he was drafted.

In that sense I look at Meriweather as just another rookie DB - getting his feet wet in nickle and dime packages at most...

But I'm sensing others were expecting more from him.

I think a lot of people are a little worried about him due to the comments from...was it Smerlas?

I guess I'd love it if he'd been so dominating that we couldn't keep him off the field and he pushed someone like Geno to the bench, but that was never going to be realistic. I think it is, as you've stipulated, far too small a sample size to even bother judging, but overall I'd say I'm SLIGHTLY disappointed, yes, but not totally discouraged or anything.

Last edited:
1st round picks usually come with very high expections... so, recognizing its just 2 games in, were you expecting him to make more of an impact?

For my part here's right where I expected him to be... maybe with Rodney out I thought he might be getting a little more time in beyond the dime packages he seems to be playing... but overall I just wasn't expecting BB to put a rookie on the spot in his defense - regardless of where he was drafted.

In that sense I look at Meriweather as just another rookie DB - getting his feet wet in nickle and dime packages at most...

No...he's coming along fine..and if Wilson is out..will he get the start??

I don't really think ANY of the first round draft picks on the defensive side have done much yet..Its a wait and see approach

IMO The only 1st round rookies to have shined so far are Marshawn Lynch,Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson

Last edited:

Generally, I wouldn't expect too much from a late first round pick in the first two games. I would expect him to be in sub packages in the first third of the season and to participate regularly in the middle of the season. Toward the end and in teh playoffs, he could either continue to contribute or to hit the rookie wall - no way of telling before hand.

If we had multiple injuries, I would expect to see a lot of him. Otherwise, he is about where I'd expect.

I would expect him to play more his second year, and to start.

Another thing to keep in mind, especially on the defensive side of the ball, is that our #1s haven't necessarily made huge impressions early on, even in their first season. Except Seymour, I'd say. Warren was only so-so his first year. Wilfork split time and didn't really hit his stride until his second season. If Meriweather can follow in their footsteps, make decent strides at a rookie, learning the system, etc... I'll be extremely pleased.

Meriweather is #31 now right? I've seen his jersey around quite a bit for a nickel back, I think he's doing fine, he just doesn't have the experience to bump out Geno, Sanders, or Randall yet.

I will just say that the bar is pretty high for a first round pick....

I think we are best at picking D-Linemen, and our success rate seems to drop off slightly from there. Lots of safetys have been in and out of here lately. Maybe Meriweather will end up being the real deal, I haven't seen him play enough yet to know.

Last edited:
The kid was drafted by the deepest team in the NFL. He's got to beat out two starters who are Pro Bowl capable when healthy in Harrison and Wilson, as well as a third "starter" in Sanders. The team also has 3 cornerbacks (Gay, Samuel, Hobbs) that have proven they can be starters in this league.

With all that in mind, I don't really see where Meriweather has had much opportunity to impress or to disappoint, and I'd say that there's no quarantee that the situation will change anytime soon, barring injuries.

I didn't set high expectations for Meriweather as a backup. Some tackles here and there is really the most I can expect from him considering he is playing limited snaps.

I will just say that the bar is pretty high for a first round pick....

I think we are best at picking D-Linemen, and our success rate seems to drop off slightly from there. Lots of safetys have been in and out of here lately.

Well not safeties who were consensus 1st round picks! Goodness. I mean, you're referring to junk like Mel Mitchell and JAGs like Artell Hawkins, who played well, but obviously didn't/doesn't have the skill-set and pedigree of a Brandon Meriweather.

I think it's much more substantive to point out that we rarely if ever miss on #1s and that our other #1 defensive players took a season, let alone TWO games, to look like they were ready to make an impact.

Well not safeties who were consensus 1st round picks! Goodness. I mean, you're referring to junk like Mel Mitchell and JAGs like Artell Hawkins, who played well, but obviously didn't/doesn't have the skill-set and pedigree of a Brandon Meriweather.

I think it's much more substantive to point out that we rarely if ever miss on #1s and that our other #1 defensive players took a season, let alone TWO games, to look like they were ready to make an impact.

Actually, I was thinking of the Guss Scott and Dexter Reid types, as well as the spotty play and health of Geno when Rodney is not behind him. In my mind, Geno had one outstanding year and then hit a wall big time.

As far as missing on #1s, I think it is a question of value. Meriweather has not once opened my eyes in a Troy Poli or Ed Reed sort of way. Maybe he will down the road. Until then I am only willing to say that the bar is pretty high for first round safeties.

Let's give the kid some games to mature and settle into his own playing style. It's way too early for a realistic evaluation. His body of work in the NFL is that of a newborn taking his first few breaths.

This is like evaluating a marathoner after the first mile.

I thought this thread was a joke for a second. They've only had two games and he's buried on the depth chart. Previous first rounders on the Pats have been brought along slowly(Maroney, Watson-injured first year, Wilfork). Mankins jumped right in. Meriweather is gonna be a good one but he just hasn't been giving full-time snaps yet.

Most of the main points have been addressed. On ST, #31 has been around the ball. On D, he has made brief appearances around the ball.

BB, despite his often pioneering skill-set, is still an old-school coach. On top of that, he has a stacked team. We as fans, and the team, will benefit from the fact that our 1st rounders aren't expected to be a savior in any aspect.

1st rounders are exciting, and they should be. They are the future starter, pro-bowler, all-pros, etc. That Meriweather has not be put in that pre-mature situation speaks less of his inability to fulfill our expectations but more to the luxury of allowing him to progress naturally.

Warren, Wilfork and Watson were zeroes as rookies. Belichick brings his rookies along at his own pace, and there is nothing we can or should read into Meriweather's playing time that will indicate anything positive or negative.

BB has yet to draft a player in the 1st round who didn't prove to be a high-talent starter for the team, and I've seen nothing to indicate Meriweather will break that streak. Time will tell.

I remember hearing nothing about Polamalu his first year. First round pick for a great defensive team, doing nothing. They threw around the bust word like crazy. Course no one would say anything now. Give it a year, and we'll see.

I remember hearing nothing about Polamalu his first year. First round pick for a great defensive team, doing nothing. They threw around the bust word like crazy. Course no one would say anything now. Give it a year, and we'll see.

Give it three years and we'll see.

Best safety in CFL getting the bench and the fans are restless? Good thing they don't pay much attention to CFL. They'd have debilitating coronaraies.

PS: Palamalu is "flashy" but not fundamentally solid. He flies around, looks exciting, makes flashy plays. Watch him try to tackle. Might as well be an opposite node of a magnet.

PSS: That's cold. Troy P. is good, and solid. But he plays safety like he wants to be a LB and thinks he's a CB. Often punishes like a LB, more often flails out like a CB.

Last edited:
Wilson is exceeding my expectations, so Meriweather is getting fewer chances than I might have thought.

Geno is helped, of course, by the fact that Sanders has learned to make the calls. Frankly, I think the article on Sanders that said that was telling about Wilson. I doubt it's really a SS/FS thing. Rather, his recognition isn't what it ideally could be.

I am in the camp as jury is still out, shows up in the box score and is seen on a few plays.. but not sure his actual role, nickel back or a safety rotation... he will need some time before he adjusts and makes an impact, rather see it this way than get burned on some big plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents